Whappen?

PDA

bogie
March 12, 2008, 03:14 AM
Someone try to do some gnasties?

If you enjoyed reading about "Whappen?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
March 12, 2008, 03:24 AM
Me Root. My up since 5 AM for test 'dat not happen. Me configure FIREWALL! Biiiiiiiig FIREWALL!

Server break? Server no break! Me Root! Me fix. Me no fix? Me call for help! No Help? Me Call Frankfurt and London. Still no help?

Hrmmm. Me think longer. Me undo change on firewall, and server WORK!

Me reboot a few more times to check if me can fix. Me out of ideas.

Me leaving server up and walking to nice nite-nite hotel across street.

Uggga!

Derek Zeanah
March 12, 2008, 03:25 AM
Me double tap.

bogie
March 12, 2008, 03:29 AM
>upload program "bigger hammer"

Robert Hairless
March 12, 2008, 03:57 AM
Get some sleep, Derek. :)

Geronimo45
March 12, 2008, 03:59 AM
Now me understand server issues. Thanks, Root. :p

hexidismal
March 12, 2008, 04:03 AM
As usual Derek, while I appreciate your diligence.. the technical jargon is way over my head.

Derek Zeanah
March 12, 2008, 12:02 PM
OK, sleep helps, even if it's only 5 hours because the nice maid needs to bang on your door at 9AM....

There'll be some intermittent outages today as I unplug and replug network connections as I try to configure the firewall properly. If that happens, wait 40 seconds or so and try again.

Derek Zeanah
March 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
OK looks like we're fixed.

Turns out my firewall problem was an undocumented feature. I've got it set up as a filtering bridge (which means that it's transparent to the servers behind it, which is helpful if you ever need to have datacenter staff remove it because it fails. I've got redundant hard drives and power supplies, but a few months ago my old firewall failed because a fan gave up the ghost -- stuff happens.

Anyway, I'd bridged the WAN and LAN interfaces on the firewall. Turns out you can't do that -- LAN needs to remain LAN, and you can bridge the OPT interface with the WAN instead.

So, that's done. Now to getting the new servers online so I can get home...

asknight
March 12, 2008, 02:28 PM
Time hasn't been updated to reflect DST. :)

Mal H
March 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
asknight - DST isn't a THR function, but you can control the display of it in your browser from your User CP on here. Check your options to be sure you have the correct time zone set and then check for the correct "DST Correction Option". Normally it would be "Automatically detect DST settings". If that isn't working (usually due to your browser or system settings), use the "DST corrections always on" setting.

Derek Zeanah
March 12, 2008, 10:58 PM
yeah - it's set correctly for me, at least.

scout26
March 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
Whenever I read this threads like this, I feel like I'm in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

All the techies are talking but all I hear is "WAH, WAHNT, WAHNT, WAH."

If you enjoyed reading about "Whappen?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!