Marlin Model 60 or Savage Model 64

PDA

Dynasty
March 12, 2008, 09:15 PM
What would be a better choice for plinking and learning good shooting skills? I read great things on both, but it seems to me what it really comes down to is semi vs. bolt. Any suggestions for a beginner looking to have fun, but at the same time develop skills for the future?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 or Savage Model 64" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dynasty
March 14, 2008, 06:56 PM
Bump

WayneConrad
March 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm fairly new at this, but I wonder if doesn't matter. You'll get skills either way, so long as you practice with it. Me, I like bolt guns. But maybe it's a bit of a "blonds, or brunettes?" question.

Furncliff
March 14, 2008, 08:37 PM
Conventional wisdom would most likely favor the bolt gun, to learn on and build skills. The thought being that it will slow you down some. The act of manually feeding is supposed to get you to improve your sight picture before you pull the trigger again. I really don't know if it's true. I learned on a bolt .22 that I still have (but that was back before telephones). I guess I got pretty good with it, at least that's what the RO's said when I qualified with an M1 carbine a few years later. Now I have the Marlin 60 as well. It gets used more. Get'em both, Marlin 60 in long rifle and the savage in .17hmr.

dagger dog
March 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
The day at the range with my father a Remington 511 single shot and 50 rounds of .22 longs (guess they were cheaper) seemed to last forever.
Dad being there close enough to give me the almost wispered oral commands,release the saftey, take a deep breath,concentrate on your sights, let out half the breath and slowly squeeze, then the pop of the round would almost startle me, as if some one else had pulled the trigger. Then the reward of seeing that can jump into the air. Lifting the bolt handle the little brass casing flipping into the air, and the smell of powder primer what an aroma! Then he would hand me the next round.
Time had stood still,just some thing about that little bolt action rifle and those fifty small rounds that could affect a 10 yr old boy in this way.

The bolt gun teaches discipline then graduate to the auto, there's plenty of time!

rangerruck
March 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
i would get both, not being sarcastic, but you should get the best , most accurate , out of the box semi auto ever made, which is the marlin mod 60, and as far as a bolt goes, no one should learn on anything about proper shooting technique , other than a bolt action, and the Savage is a fine bolt action to lear on. Except for Anschutz, the savage uses just about the biggest, fattest bolt you will ever see on a 22, very safe.

bensdad
March 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
Coke or Pepsi?

I've often said that every home in America, if not every American, should have a Marlin Mod. 60. That being said (again), the Savage is supposed to be a wonderful little bolt gun.

There is no wrong answer.

tuck2
March 16, 2008, 02:02 AM
Not all Marlin 60 are fine rifles. My 60 has a very hard trigger pull and shoots large groups. I got a Ruger 10-22 T ,tuned up the trigger, put it into a thumbhole stock and it shots small groups.

rooter
March 16, 2008, 03:11 AM
I am not impressed with the Marlin 60. I know it wasn't a choice, but I recommend either a 10/22 or a Remington 597.

Gord
March 16, 2008, 04:29 AM
I've got a Savage 64F with a $30 Tasco Pronghorn fixed-4x scope. Both have lasted just fine through seven or eight years and more thousands of rounds than I can count. It's accurate enough that even shooting daisies in half at ~75 yards is boring. On my last range trip, I was having fun shooting a bunch of used fireworks off their sticks at about 100. The thing may as well be a laser beam.

Pros: Ridiculously accurate, cheap and available (~$12 at Walmart) magazines, irons are great for precision shooting; lightweight
Cons: Stock is typical $5 Savage tupperware; mags are aluminum or very soft steel and feed lips wear out after 3-4k rounds

Little Brother has a Remington 597, which is also a fine gun.

Pros: *Really* nice, solid stock with good heft and wide target forend; easy-to-use express-style sights; high-cap aftermarket mags newly available (standard factory mags also ~$12 at Walmart); just a little less accurate than the Savage
Cons: Heavy; irons aren't great for fine-detail shooting

Haven't handled or shot a vintage Model 60, but the new ones I've handled have uniformly given me the impression of being junky. Cheap plastic stocks with a good portion of the checkering melted and blobby; a lot of play/poor fit between the stock and the action; balance felt funky. The difference between them and the rock-solid 597 was night and day.

As for the 64, the new ones have a different bolt handle and safety than the old ones do, and are really, really stiff out of the box, going by the ones I've handled; it might take a good while to break one in and smooth it out, but hey, that's why .22 is $15/550 rounds, right? :)

With regards to "fun," that depends on your definition: if you want freakish accuracy, you could certainly do worse than a 64 if mine is any indication, but you may want to look into a basic CZ 452 bolt gun. If you want to rock-and-roll just for giggles every now and then, you might want to consider a 597 as the double-stack mag design allows high-caps, where the Savage's single-stack mag doesn't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Model 60 or Savage Model 64" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!