RCBS Dies

PDA

Eb1
March 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
I broke down today and bought a FL 30-30 RCBS die set to go with my Lee FCD and Lee hand press.

I broke a decapping pin. :banghead:, but it came with another. :)

I did size and decap 50 rounds. It worked good. I don't know why I just out of the blue decided on the RCBS dies. I can tell you my wife and child enjoyed the new dies as much as I did. I was using the Lee Loader. I got pretty good with that way of loading, but I wanted to quiet things down some. I was able to sit at the kitchen table and not bother anyone.

The hand press worked pretty well for sizing the 30-30. Next purchase, 9mm Dies. Any recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SASS#23149
March 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
uh....

RCBS maybe?

:)

bensdad
March 12, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have the RCBS 3-die set for 9mm. They are very nice. I've only been reloading for about four months, so my level of experience is minimal at best.

They are carbide dies.

Walkalong
March 13, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hard to go wrong with RCBS. I do like the Redding and Lyman expanders though.

stubbicatt
March 13, 2008, 09:16 AM
I like RCBS dies too. I guess you have to compare features to arrive at what works best for you. I like the RCBS rifle sizing dies, but the Lee seating dies are great, and I prefer them. The seating dies with the thimbles on them by Redding and Forster are also nice for what they do. The Lee FCD is a great tool as well.

Neatest thing about the RCBS rifle sizing dies is how easy they are to disassemble for cleaning.

Doug b
March 13, 2008, 09:25 AM
I like Hornady custom grade New dimension titanium nitride dies,but any carbide set will do.

Eb1
March 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
are the RCBS 9mm Pistol dies carbide? I guess I could just look it up on google.

I am thinking I will maybe buy another companies dies now that I have one Lee (FCD) and a set of RCBS dies. I guess it might be time to get a Hornady or Redding Die.

mallc
March 13, 2008, 10:28 AM
Just bought Redding Comp neck dies for .223 and 30-06. They are excellent tooling but pretty much limited to high end reloading; meaning new brass or brass dedicated to a single firearm.

I have an old 3 die set of Redding in 45 ACP that was badly rusted when I purchased it. They cleaned up very well and work like new. I also have used RCBS dies that work like new once cleaned.

Short story is that one should purchase dies according to the brass they will process and how they use the finished product. Range brass loaded for plinking doesn't require, and probably won't benefit from expensive tooling.

Thanks,
Scott

ranger335v
March 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
You can't beat Lyman or Redding for pistol dies. They have the best expanders available. (Redding has copied Lyman's design)

For rifle, it don't make any real difference which brand you use, they give pretty much the same end results. Except for Forster and Redding's comp dies, they are truly excellant.

Eb1
March 13, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone,
You're gonna get a big laugh out of this.

Tonight after work I went to the local, and bought some RCBS TC Carbid dies for my 9mm. Came home started setting up the dies in my hand press. They work really good, but get this. For about 20 minutes I tried to figure out how to get the RN Plug for the seating die to screw into the Expander die. I got confused on what die was what.
I was like. The threading is to big. I even called CS, but they were closed. I was feeling bummed until I figured out that the Bullet Seating dies was the same size threading. I felt so stupid. As I should. That is just like me sometimes. I make a big deal of nothing until I work my way through it.
But I went on to figure it out, and get some measurements. I still need a priming setup for the press. I am thinking of the Lee Auto Prime. And just do them by hand.

Thanks for the help everyone. It is coming together, and whoever says you can get start for cheap.. LOL It seems you always need one more piece.

I am loving it. Can't wait to the Priming device, and get out there and shoot my XD9. It has been a while since I shot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!