Cool book for cheap :)

PDA

yhtomit
March 12, 2008, 11:29 PM
I was at at discount store called Ollie's today (http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/default.aspx -- "Ollie’s Bargain Outlet is currently located in 8 states: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, New York, and North Carolina.") , and found a book which I successfully resisted but am likely to be back for tomorrow, "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions-3rd Edition." Cover price $40, at Ollie's for $10.

(See the publisher's page on the book for an idea of what it contains -- http://www.stoegerbooks.com/books/detail.tpl?CAT=3&SKU=BK0324 -- the review from Guns magazine is right on the money.)

I am not interested in personally converting cartridges from one to another, but I find the concept very interesting nonetheless, and there's a lot of neat history in the book. The technical illustrations are very clear, too. I think of it as a companion to Cartridges of the World.

Anyhow -- The stock at various locations varies widely, but perhaps this will be useful to someone.

timothy

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool book for cheap :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moosehunt
March 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
I'd wager that you'll find that book very handy somewhere down the line, and you'll be glad you have it.

yhtomit
March 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
moosehunt:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pick it up :)

But I'll buy it on my way to purchase the cheapest, most conventional, most run-of-the-mill .45ACP bullets I can find :) (Or "fund," which works just as well here.)

I find things like esoteric, nutty-shaped wildcat cartridges fascinating, but that is for people in a higher tax bracket than I am ... I like to own guns chambered in cartridges which -- to the best of my ability to guess! -- will likely be readily available in 10 or 20 or 50 years.

This book has a lot of things of more general application, anyhow, so I'm not worried about losing out on the deal ;)

timothy

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool book for cheap :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!