Dillon sticking

PDA

atek3
March 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
So i've got a 550B and it runs well, however now it's sticking really bad, I cleaned and lubed the main piston, still sticking. So I removed the pin that holds the two arms to the piston. The piston slides freely so its not the piston that's binding. The left arm has a lot of friction, what do I do?

thanks,
atek3

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon sticking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grandpa Shooter
March 13, 2008, 03:35 AM
How tight do you have the bolt connecting all the way through? There should be spacer if I remember correctly. Is one of them shot? How old is the unit and how much have you used it?

Jacka L Ope
March 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
Might try the Tech Help section of the Dillon website:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/technical_help.html

and/or call them:

Technical Help

You have a Friend at the Factory
We have taken all of the commonly asked questions and organized them, by machine, on this site. Choose Help Guides and then just click on the machine that you have a question about. You will then find questions and answers grouped together by subject.

However, if you wish to talk to a real person, call us. We mean it. Anyone can make a mistake. There's no such thing as a dumb question. If something is giving you a problem, let us help you!

You may call or write the Technical Support and order line at:
Phone 800-223-4570 or 480-948-8009
Fax 480-998-2786
Open:
7am to 6pm Monday - Friday
8am to 3pm Saturday MST
(1400-0100 Monday - Friday
1500-2200 Saturday GMT)
We are closed on Sunday.

By the way, if you plan to visit the Scottsdale area, please call ahead and ask for a factory tour. In the mean time, happy loading from everyone at Dillon!

Dillon Precision Products, Inc.
8009 East Dillon's Way
Scottsdale, AZ 85260 U.S.A.

Call Toll Free 800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009
Fax 480-998-2786
Open 7-6, Monday-Friday; 8-3 Saturday MST
(Open 1400-0100, Monday-Friday; 1500-2200 Saturday GMT)

E-mail Technical Questions to: tech@dillonprecision.com
E-mail Order Questions to: dillon@dillonprecision.com
E-Mail for Catalog requests to: catalogs@dillonprecision.com

Have technical questions about Dillon Precision's products? Please send them to dillon@dillonprecision.com

mallc
March 13, 2008, 08:52 AM
Shell plate screww is probably too tight.

Scott

DILLONHELP
March 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
It sounds like one of the pivot pins is galled up. Grab the crank and pivot it on the lower link arm pin, then pivot the link arms on the upper link arm pins. Most likely one of the upper pins is the culprit. In this case, you need to take the platform off the top of the shaft & drop the shaft out of the frame. now you can run a long punch through the hole in the upper right side link arm pin and drive out the left pin. Then run the punch through the hole in the frame to drive out the right pin.
the pivot pins are heat-treated into the mid-60s on a rockwell C-scale, so they can't be hurt. Use a wire wheel or 220 grit sandpaper to remove any metal transfer from the pins, then lightly sand the interior of the link arm and frame holes. Heavily grease (not oil!) the pivot pin, the hole in the link arm, and the hole in the frame, then drive the pins back in with a hammer.
Contact Dillon for a punch and an alignment tool. An alignment tool is necessary when attaching the platform to the top of the shaft to ensure everything lines up.

Sheldon
March 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
I had that happen years ago and got the stuff from Dillon to fix it. While I was waiting for the parts to come I lubed the pivot point up and worked the link back and forth and freed it up. I never did bother to replace it with the parts when they got here and just keep it lubed every now and then and it has been fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon sticking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!