AR question

PDA

opd743
March 13, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have a RRA Entry Tac AR-15. I've had the gun for about six months and it has maybe 300 rounds through it. I just noticed today that when I clear the chamber the round that is in the chamber has a small indention on the primer. It has to be from the firing pin. Is this normal for AR's? Is there a way to fix it without taking it to a gunsmith?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 13, 2008, 03:15 PM
Perfectly normal for any AR-15 or M-16 type rifle, and many other military design rifles.

The floating firing pin dings the primer when the bolt slams home.

Although it is not common, a slam-fire can happen.

Always keep it pointed in a safe direction when loading any AR type rifle.

rcmodel

Magnuumpwr
March 13, 2008, 03:27 PM
Is the ammo your using factory or surplus? I'd be willing to bet it is factory, switching to surplus will cut back on that due to the harder primers.

Soybomb
March 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
Always keep it pointed in a safe direction when loading any firearm.
Fixed ;)

A large bucket of sand is never a bad idea for loading and unloading guns. Put a plastic plant in it if you want it to look less tacky.

Gingerbreadman
March 13, 2008, 07:40 PM
Is there a modification to make the pin no longer free-floating? I remember someone modified an SKS bolt with a spring loaded firing pin.

Dgreno
March 13, 2008, 08:53 PM
My entry tac does the same thing.
KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION WHEN CHARGING!
Trust me on this one...

ColinthePilot
March 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Is there a modification to make the pin no longer free-floating? I remember someone modified an SKS bolt with a spring loaded firing pin.

Why? I remember hearing that SKS's had a tendency to slam fire when I was shopping for my Yugo. Mine has never slam fired, and it's only double-tapped once. If you clean it properly, it cuts down on the slam fires (like almost zero).

doc2rn
March 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
After the bolt locks back you dont have to let the bolt slam forward. You can pull back on the charging handle then hit the bolt release and slowly lower the bolt to negate the possibility of a slam fire.

Coronach
March 14, 2008, 02:26 AM
Is there a modification to make the pin no longer free-floating? I remember someone modified an SKS bolt with a spring loaded firing pin.I'm going to do something rare, and post in all caps.

IT AIN'T BROKE. DO NOT TRY TO "FIX" IT.

Clear enough? :)

Mike

Soybomb
March 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
The biggest problem, at least to me, isn't the design but operator error. The ar15 has a floating pin too and you don't see people trying to alter that. People buy c&r guns and don't thoroughly clean them. On the SKS this includes taking apart the bolt and cleaning it. Some people refuse to take the bolt apart because it can be a pain so they swish it in some paint thinner, run a pipe cleaner through and call it done. There is still cosmo left, it melts, gets everywhere, eventually the firing pin gets glued forward, the bolt closes, bang, repeat. Its not limited to the SKS either. One of our posters here shot himself in the hand with his makarov and eventually came to blame the left over cosmoline as I recall.

If you're going to shoot c&r guns be sure to get all the cosmoline out of the gun. If you can't or don't feel comfortable disassembling it enough to do that pay a gun smith a few dollars. Always chamber your firearms in a safe direction just in case. If your gun begins to fire be sure to keep it pointed in a safe direction until it quits. Drop the magazine if possible, but don't lose control of it.

pdh
March 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
Since I am going to shoot reloads in mine....I will want to use primers with the hardest cups.
The CCI BR primers be ok to use so not to worry about slam fires.....

DoubleTapDrew
March 14, 2008, 04:45 PM
IT AIN'T BROKE. DO NOT TRY TO "FIX" IT.

I thought the tinkerer's philosophy was "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!"
I think I may get some harder primers for when I start cranking out the .223, I forgot about the firing pin issue with those.

rcmodel
March 14, 2008, 04:49 PM
If you want military primer hardness, CCI makes the real deal:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers_prod.aspx?id=30

In actuality, it will only be a problems if you are crushing primers when you seat them.

This can be due to not removing all the military crimp first.
Or seating primers on a compound leverage press.

I use an RCBS hand priming tool so I can feel the primers seat, and have not had a problem with an AR doubling for about 40 years.
All I use is CCI standard Sm. Rifle primers.

rcmodel

pdh
March 14, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you rcmodel

Gingerbreadman
March 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
I thought the tinkerer's philosophy was "if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!"
I'm definately a "tinkerer" then. I guess I'll just leave my future project bolt alone...

If you enjoyed reading about "AR question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!