Color = What Brand? Newbie

PDA

drmajor
March 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
I am looking to buy some used reloading to do 9mm & .38 special.

I keep finding people with presses they are not sure who makes but they are ORANGE. Who makes their equipment in orange?

Lee and Hornady are red.

Suggestions on buying used equipment?

I am new to this.

Might also like to reload 30-06 in future.

If you enjoyed reading about "Color = What Brand? Newbie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
March 13, 2008, 05:27 PM
Lyman, for example their "Orange Crusher" press.

SASS#23149
March 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
We have a 'reloading eqpt. for sale' area here on the Hiigh Road now.check it ou.
You can feel pretty safe buying used presses and dies.Just watch out for the shipping on a used press.a new one bought locally may not be that much more..and you get instant graification .:)

Some of the older Lyman presses took special dies,so if you buy one used ask about that.

ranger335v
March 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
I like Lyman's presses, I love Lee's Classic Cast presses.

The caution about Lyman's old presses is just that, OLD! Not made been for maybe 35 years now.

lee n. field
March 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
Green == RCBS

Blue koolaid == Dillon

Lyman is orange, except I don't think they are any more.

drmajor
March 13, 2008, 09:05 PM
That explains it- seller says the reloader is Orange and they were his fathers. He's asking $250 with 30-06, 357, 308, and 270 dies, beam scale and about 1000 rifle and 800 pistol primers.

Know where I can find info on the Lymans?

thanks.

SASS#23149
March 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm

David Wile
March 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hey DrMajor,

I'm not sure about you, but $250 is a lot of money for any used single stage press. I don't care how many die sets are included, the only die set that has any value is the die set or sets you are actually going to use. You can buy used RCBS Rockchuckers and Lyman Orange Crushers for less than $100 on E-Bay, and die sets are often sold for ten to fifteen dollars. A good scale can be purchased for about $60, and primers are supposed to be shipped with extra hazmat charges. Actually, most of the used equipment on E-Bay sells for just a little less than what you would pay for new equipment at some of the mail houses like Midway and others. You might check out what an RCBS reloading package might cost new, and you should certainly check out what forum members have for sale on the forum.

Also, Lyman has made presses in grey as well as orange. Like SASS said, Lyman's older presses used smaller die sets called TruLine, and most folks would not want to use them for modern reloading. The TruLine sets only neck size a case, and, while valuable for old 310 Nutcracker hand tools, they are not really what you want for a modern press.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

If you enjoyed reading about "Color = What Brand? Newbie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!