store w/o firing pin?

PDA

Dgreno
March 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
Is it ok to store my rifles with out the firing pin installed? I want to do this to keep them "safe" but still readily available, as in <2 mins... Specifically an AR and an AK variant (WASR). Also, is there any harm in dry firing with out the firing pin installed?

If you enjoyed reading about "store w/o firing pin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeybear
March 13, 2008, 06:10 PM
Better to just keep them unloaded if you want them "safe" but still readily available. Just lock up your ammo.

ckay
March 13, 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't really see a point. You want your guns safe, keep them unloaded, selector on safe, and locked in a safe.

TexasRifleman
March 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
I want to do this to keep them "safe" but still readily available, as in <2 mins... Specifically an AR

If you can get an AR into play in less than 2 minutes without a firing pin installed I am VERY impressed.

El Tejon
March 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
Have you seen the movie "Shooter" recently?

41magsnub
March 13, 2008, 06:25 PM
If you can get an AR into play in less than 2 minutes without a firing pin installed I am VERY impressed.

I could do it with the gun on a table with a light, did field strips and reassemblies on a timer all the time in the Army. In the dark looking over my shoulder and pumped up because I think somebody is in my house.. not so much.

Dgreno
March 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
I am not fortunate enough to own a safe at this time, though it is in the works. All I have is a lockable gun cabinet with a glass front.
If it takes you more than 60 seconds to get a firing pin in an AR (with the pin and rifle readily accessible) then some practice is in order. I start with having the gun completely assembled minus the firing pin and go from there.
Let me add that I do not mean any offense by this. I practice religiously taking my guns apart and putting them back together. I don't do it for time but more so to make sure I am familiar with their use and operation should the time come that I need to rely on them. I am just not comfortable using a gun that I have not seen the internals of many times and know how they work.

ETA:
"pumped up because I think somebody is in my house.."
Very good point. The AR is more of a SHTF rifle to me than HD. I have my GLOCK 30 and Mossy 500 for that.

Gary G23
March 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
Last time I was accosted by an armed bad guy I didn't get a 60 second warning.

Dgreno
March 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
Gary, Please read my "edit"...

41magsnub
March 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
If you must store it partially disassembled take out the whole bolt and carrier. These can be slapped into an AR-15 very quickly. Also, you could use a cable lock through the ejection port and down through the magazine well.

gimposaurus
March 13, 2008, 10:22 PM
why?

If you enjoyed reading about "store w/o firing pin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!