XPB bullet and Redding Dies

PDA

Steve H
March 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
I just loaded up some Barnes .45 ACP bullets and noticed that the HP on some of them "closed" a bit (.030") and rounded the end of the bullet. I'm using Redding dies (almost new). I spoke with Barnes about this and they think that this is caused by the shape of the "plug" that pushes the bullet.
OAL is 1.220

Anyone have any ideas on why this happened?

If you enjoyed reading about "XPB bullet and Redding Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
March 13, 2008, 06:37 PM
Looks like what happened. Try the flat stem in place of that one. Redding dies come with both. The HP should fit up in the opening of that on and the flat will push it in. It should not do that to the bullet, unless you have some SERIOUS neck tension.

Steve H
March 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
I almost had a lack of neck tension................got to crazy "belling" the cases. The die box didn't have the flat plug!!!

jenrob
March 14, 2008, 02:43 AM
I would shoot redding an e-mail with your pics. Tell them the plug that you have and that you didn't receive the other plug. Make a note of your Name and address Ph# and they might send you one out free of charge. Or give them a call.

mallc
March 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
It sounds like a sizing issue.

In my experience with 3 die sets, case sizing usually happens in step one along with decapping and belling is accomplished in stage two. In two dies set sizing and belling are separate operations in die one.

What brand of dies are you using?

Scott

rcmodel
March 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
Always look at the bright side!

They will probably feed a whole lot better with that nice FMJ round nose design!

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "XPB bullet and Redding Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!