Reliability: Glock 26 or S&W M&P Compact 9mm?

PDA

Kind of Blued
March 13, 2008, 11:40 PM
I've been reading more and more of people with M&Ps who just can't get the damned things to fail on any grounds.

I am curious if anybody has owned both of these models and can compare reliability on any failures whatsoever.

Theoretically, would the S&W Compact and the full-sized 9mm version have the same reliability? Would a G26 and a G19 be able to be compared fairly? Barrel length would have SOME influence on slide operation and eventual extraction, no?

I am looking to get one of these as a main summer carry, reliability is key.

Does anybody have a preference (not attributed to how they fit your hand)?

I couldn't do a search because the stupid engine won't allow M&P or 26 as they are "too short" for the entry field.

Thanks guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reliability: Glock 26 or S&W M&P Compact 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lobotomy Boy
March 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
I know the Glock is reliable because I own one, but I've heard nothing but good things about the M&P (at least not since the initial bugs were worked out). If I was in the market for another polymer autoloader I'd try the Smith before I bought anything.

You might also want to try the Springfield XD. Even though I own a bunch of Glocks (gaggle of Glocks?) I've recently discovered I like the Springfields even more.

Try out each gun, then buy the one you like best.

GVMan
March 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
I rented both before deciding and for me it was the G26 hands down!

Kind of Blued
March 14, 2008, 01:04 AM
I rented both before deciding and for me it was the G26 hands down!

For what reason(s)? Reliability?

How many rounds did you put through each? How clean/well-lubed were each of them when you rented them?

GVMan
March 14, 2008, 07:49 AM
Since you asked, here is a link (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=306573) to the range report I did while evaluating these. I think I put about 50 rounds through the Glock and 30 through the M&P.

Firepower!
March 14, 2008, 08:02 AM
G26. Reliable and versatile.

chupacabrah
March 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
i think you cant go wrong either way-- m&p, glock, or xd.... all reliable and people love them. shoot them all if you can

i didnt really care for how g17 shot or felt. and trigger reset was longer. plus at my gun store it was about $80 more than base price on mp or xd.

i liked both xd and mp, but the rebate and free mags on the mp finished off my decision!

sheephearder
March 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
The Glock 26 is as reliable as the bigger Glocks, have not shot the compact S&W but have not heard any thing to indicate it has problems.;) Bill

Dobe
March 14, 2008, 12:23 PM
All are good guns, but the M&P is gaining ground, and rightfully so. It is just as reliable, and more ergonomic. Besides, it just looks better.

Dilbert
March 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
My 9c does not feed 147 grain bullets well. It takes issue with the longer OAL of the typical 147 grainer. That's the only fault I have found with the S&W, but it does seem to have a lower felt recoil than the baby Glock.

watarski
March 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
I went through this same decision about 2 weeks ago. The M&Pc felt better in the hand, but it's bigger than the 26. Not to open up a can of worms, but the M&Pc has had its issues. There are plenty of threads out there (Bruce Gray thread on the Sig forum is a big one). I personally wanted a gun that would go bang everytime, without having to send it back once or twice to get it right. I went with the 26 - it's smaller, lighter, and flat out reliable. Not to mention as accurate as its bigger brothers. I used to hate Glocks, swore I would never own one. Now I can't believe I waited so long.

Coronach
March 15, 2008, 01:49 AM
The Glock has a longer track record of reliability, but the M&P is on track to be in the same league.

Still, the only way to build a decades-long track record is to be around for decades.

Mike

Kind of Blued
March 15, 2008, 04:14 AM
There are plenty of threads out there (Bruce Gray thread on the Sig forum is a big one).

The Sig forum is the only other forum I frequent. I did a search under Bruce's name, there were 26 pages of stuff, but I couldn't find the thread you are referencing.

Do you happen to have a link?

That guy's opinion is one I value above pretty much anyone else, and with him as such a readily-available resource on the Sig forum, it is a pleasure to peruse every once in a while.

jgo296
March 15, 2008, 07:37 AM
i used to own a g27
but they are probably both great guns but the glock is proven

FranklyTodd
March 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have a Glock 26 only because I wanted a sub-compact with a safety, and the M&P doesn't have the option to add one yet. :scrutiny:

Nobody beats Glock's reliability, so the question is if the M&P matches (or comes close to) it. From everything I've read it does, plus S&W is and American company, plus the Lifetime warranty. My next gun is an M&P45 (after my Ruger LCP comes in! :neener:)

Both are great, if you flip a coin you'll do fine - rent them both, and go by how you shoot them - reliability just isn't going to be an issue either way.

Good luck!

smktr8
June 14, 2009, 09:47 PM
I used to have a glock 26 last year I now have a smith and wesson M&p 9c. the M&p shoots good. But I live in Mass so it must have a 10 pound trigger :fire: So that sucks the glock is 5 pounds The feel of the gun is better then the glock in my hand. I just think the glock is a all around better gun it pulls smoother shoots better in my hand with fixed sights. Holds more rounds and it can take a beating. My smith pulled off out of the box 2,000 rounds. I will try shooting tomarrow with out a cleaning. I have put 2,000 rounds out of my glock 5 days in a row no cleaning and did not let me down.
I know M&P is American and I love that but it just dosent mean its a better gun.

Mags
June 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
I own an M&P9c and a Glock 19 I put a 3.5 connector in my glock and noticed my M&P trigger pull is slightly more probably around 4-5 pounds, some people complain about the M&P trigger reset but I have no problem feeling the trigger reset on mine. I have about 1000 rounds through each gun and have not had a failure. The subcompact glocks get a 0 for ergonomics and the glock 19 is too big for a daily carry. Therefore I carry my M&P daily with an IWB holster I have no doubt that either the glock or the M&P will go bang when it needs to.

Sapper771
June 15, 2009, 12:48 AM
I have never owned a Glock 26, but I have owned a Glock 19. The glock 19 is an awesome pistol. I liked it because it felt good in my hand, and it seemed like a perfect fit and size. I never had any problems with it in 300 rounds, then I sold it to try another pistol .

A friend that I use to shoot with bought his wife a glock 19. Everytime she shot it it would jam (stovepipe). When her husband or me shot it , it shot like it was suppose to. I guess she was limp wristing it.

I bought my girlfriend a S&W M&P 9c
to replace her kel-tec. I got an awesome deal on it and could not pass it up. We got to the range and I started teaching her the ins and outs of the business. The 9c jammed every round she fired through it. I started getting worried that I got a lemon. I loaded a magazine and emptied it into the target. She was not gripping the pistol enough for it to have a solid base, thus it would jam. I started working her grip around to help her grip the 9c more firmly and the jams started to slowly disappear.

I dont know if this will help you any. Just my my experience. Both are nice weapons, but my preferance goes to the Glock.

10-Ring
June 15, 2009, 01:37 AM
With all its shortcomings, everyone still compares themselves to Glock -- as the standard, I'd go w/ them. As for issues w/ the M&P 9 -- ask the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department ;)

Elvishead
June 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
08? what't up?

Flip a coin.

But the S&W has it.

The Lone Haranguer
June 15, 2009, 09:10 PM
If strictly talking about reliability, a tie. A M&P I once owned had 100% perfect reliability from the very first shot. I would expect the same from a G26.

gglass
June 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
I no longer own any Glocks, and have long since switched over to the M&P line of pistols for carry and competition. My oldest son sold both of his Glocks to purchase two new M&P's after shooting mine for some time. My youngest son bought a M&P9 Pro Series before being shipped back MP duty station in Okinawa... The poor guy only got to shoot it once before shipping out.

Shoot both and you will very likely choose the M&P. More than 370 LE departments have switched to the M&P since their introduction in 2006. A good majority of those departments switched from Glocks.

My current stable of M&P's
M&P40
M&P357
M&P9c
M&P9 Pro Series (x2)

P.s. This is what Massad Ayoob had to say about the M&P9 Pro Series... The short story is that he beat his all-time best IDPA score the first time he shot with the M&P Pro. (He also bought the test gun)

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Features/0908/Ftr0908.html

KICK4426
June 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
I think they are both fine guns. I love Glocks and am a Glock Armorer. Most stories that you hear about Glocks failing are because someone who knows very little about the pistol tried to "make it better". Another big thing about the Glocks were the "exploding Glocks", which were all Glock .40's and were all RELOADS that were loaded a little too hot. The .40 is a very high pressure round as it is. There is no need for Jethro to "give it some zing"

I would get a Glock 30. .45ACP packs a lot more punch. Why shoot twice?

Big_John1961
June 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
I went through this comparison two weeks ago and ended up with the M&P 9c. A poster above said the Glock is smaller, but when I put the two side to side the dimensions looked identical to me. The Glock is a couple of ounces lighter, but to me, the ergos of the M&P were hands down better.

I own a Glock, a G23, so I have no bias. I love my G23. But in shopping for a more easily concealable pistol, I walked out the door with the M&P. It was a tough decision, and I may end up with a G26 at some point, but so far I love the 9c. It's a handsome pistol and a great little shooter, and has more capacity then the Glock by two rounds.

I've only put 200 rounds of ammo through it, mostly 115 gr ball, and some Speer Gold Dot 124 gr standard pressure, but it didn't hiccup once, and I was very impressed with how well it shot. Almost a soft shooter. Very forgiving and plenty accurate by my standards.

Legasat
June 15, 2009, 10:58 PM
I own 3 M&P's. Glock is fine pistol, but the M&P fit my hand better.

Also, S&W has the best Customer Service in the industry.

Shoot both, then make you OWN decision.

bestseller92
June 16, 2009, 07:29 PM
Have zero experience with the Smith, but I love my G26.

michiganfan
June 16, 2009, 07:48 PM
I carry a G19. Have used it in mutiple classes and it always delivers. Easy to point. Fast follow ups. As Coronach stated how do you get decades of reliability? By being reliable for decades.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reliability: Glock 26 or S&W M&P Compact 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!