M1 Carbine stock markings

PDA

1776 Rebel
March 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
I just received a CMP Winchester M1 Carbine. Its very nice and I'll have a big grin on my face all day. One thing that stands out though is markings on the stock. Clearly this is not a manufacturer thingy. On the bottom of the forearm are three red number fours flowing vertically down the forearm. It looks like they were stamped into the stock. I was thinking that it might have been a military unit marking etc. A quick look on the internet brings up some navy ship designations (DE-444 the Goss). Would anyone have any ideas? tks...

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine stock markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
March 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
The numbers are most likely a unit level inventory thing that has nothing to do with boats. Any 4's in the serial number?

1776 Rebel
March 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
Sunray, thanks for the info. If I figure this out, I will embed a phone camera picture of the stock below. Usually I have seen numbers scratched on or painted on but this is clearly stamped into the stock and colored with red ink. My earlier reference to the naval ship was along the same lines. That it might have been an inventory designation for small arms aboard a vessel. I really don't recall ever having read how the navy armorers maintain weapons aboard ship. But I am open to any ideas ...tks again...

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine stock markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!