Just outa interest ........

PDA

P95Carry
August 8, 2003, 01:44 PM
I thought you M/L guys might find this piece of some interest. I have had it quite a good many years and actually don't shoot it that much (I hate cleaning BP guns!!).

It is a Parker Hale Repro of the original Enfield 2 band musketoon. Quite a short barrel and in .577 cal (maybe often known better as .58).

I have a small pic to show and also a couple of the minnie I use in it .... usually with a modest 2 1/2 drams of powder (approx 70 grns IIRC) ... tho it will take up to 3 1/2 drams!). This bullet is from a Lyman mould but I modified the insert ... (in fact made a new one - which is why there are machining marks showing inside base) ...... so as to get thinner base walls for better obturation ... it seems to do pretty good .. usually use ''Bore Butter'' for lube.

This bullet weighs in at about 500 grn .... which is around 1.14 oz ...... it hits pretty hard.!

I use a recoil pad partly to extend butt, which is distinctly short ...... but also for comfort too! It is hard to shoot this with a good sight picture and not whack the cheek bone ....... ouch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.patriotnetwork.net/cb_gun2/musketoon_s.jpg

Enfield 2 band musketoon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.patriotnetwork.net/cb_gun/minnie_side.jpg

Side view of minnie bullet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.patriotnetwork.net/cb_gun/minnie_base.jpg

Minnie base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry pics are not better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just outa interest ........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
August 8, 2003, 02:06 PM
How is it for accuracy? Been told that the Enfields are finicky but as I use a Parker Hale mold, never had that problem.

BTW, most Americans find that the Enfield kicks the cheek. That's because we tend to lower our cheeks more. Look at Hans Busk, "The Rifle and How to Use It" and you'll see the Englishman with the head held slightly more straight.

As for the rubber recoil pad, I can see it for additional LoP. Thankfully, I'm short so I don't need it (but I only shoot about 65 grains of FF in mine).

Since I can't let this opportunity slip, were you trying to be cheap with lead? ;)

P95Carry
August 8, 2003, 02:49 PM
How is it for accuracy? Been told that the Enfields are finicky but as I use a Parker Hale mold, never had that problem.

A while since i shot it but ... generally I was finding it adequate . to be honest .. much of problem is comfort and sighting so doubt ever really got it to best. Resting it tho .... it does do quite well at 100 yds.

BTW, most Americans find that the Enfield kicks the cheek. That's because we tend to lower our cheeks more. Look at Hans Busk, "The Rifle and How to Use It" and you'll see the Englishman with the head held slightly more straight.

I've tried many ''holds'' but still find it a tad brutal on cheek at times

As for the rubber recoil pad, I can see it for additional LoP. Thankfully, I'm short so I don't need it (but I only shoot about 65 grains of FF in mine).

I am tall and broad so really do need that pad . in fact would like even more

Since I can't let this opportunity slip, were you trying to be cheap with lead?

hahaha! Cheap with lead?!! Good one! ...... naw ..... it was entirely motivated by the wish to improve obturation .... it does of course lighten bullet but that too seems beneficial. Still does wicked things to steel plates!!! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Just outa interest ........" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!