Daniel Defense rails

PDA

.cheese.
March 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
I want to replace the stock molded HGs on my 2 LMT 16" AR-15s. I was thinking of going with Daniel Defense. I hear they are the best.

2 questions:

1) Is what I've heard correct? Or is there a higher quality option?

2) I can't tell what product by them I'd need or what would fit my guns. I must be missing something in the descriptions.

The aide of the THR braintrust is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Daniel Defense rails" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schuey2002
March 14, 2008, 06:48 PM
Daniel Defense and LaRue Tactical seem to be at the top of the class in the Free Float Rail Dept.... ;)

.cheese.
March 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
ok, so I wasn't misled then.

Now, how the heck do I know what to purchase? How do I know what would fit?

MaterDei
March 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
Call them. Tell them what you've got and they'll tell you what will fit.

.cheese.
March 14, 2008, 09:01 PM
yeah.... but that would be the logical thing to do. :rolleyes:

Logic... reason.... it bores me. I prefer convoluted games of guessing the right answer.

(thanks, I'll call them next week :) )

Coronach
March 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
Best prices I could find were Bravo Company. They sent me a Troy rail accidentally, but when I notified them of the error, they shipped out the DD rail, a free hat, and the RMA for the Troy Rail that day. Outstanding service.

The only complaint I have about the DD rail is the welds used to attach the rails to the nut are not pretty. A very minor concern, IMO.

Mike

Coronach
March 14, 2008, 09:20 PM
Also, the 7.0 rail fits the CAR handguards, the 9.0 fits the Midlength, and the 12.0 fits the rifle, assuming you have a fixed FSB and not a low-profile gas block (you can run a longer length of rail over the gas block if it is low profile).

Mike

.cheese.
March 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
not sure if my FSB is fixed or not. I have two LMT Defender Standard ARs. What would be the case here?

I'm not yet as familiar with AR-15s as I'd like to be.

So with either the Daniel Defense rails or the Larue Tactical rails, is a gunsmith required?

ryoushi
March 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
A FSB is the standard Front Sight Base/gas block.

http://www.del-ton.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BP1034-2T.jpg

If you have that it will have to be removed to install a FF rail. I think the Daniel Defense Lite Rail is the best system currently offered. Just my opinion and I claim no special expertise. A 9" midlength goes for $299.00 from Bravo Company.

Installation and review here (http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=179&t=155070)

Coronach
March 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
If you have a standard AR-15 with the triangular front sight base, you have a "fixed FSB". If your front sight can flip up and down, you have a folding front sight.

Gunsmithing is required to install these rails on an existing gun, but only you can decide if you can do it home brew or if it needs to go to someone. At least have someone help you who knows his way around an AR if you've never done it before. You'll need some AR-specific tools, too.

Mike

.cheese.
March 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
ok. thanks.

rbernie
March 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
The DD Omega (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=109) carbine rail can be installed without taking off a fixed FSB. It's also breathtakingly light.

Schuey2002
March 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Midwest Industries also makes a Free Float carbine rail that you don't have to take off the FSB to install. It is also cheaper than either the LaRue or DD.. ;)

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=70

.cheese.
March 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
are there any downsides to free-floating an AR barrel in one of these rail systems?

Doesn't it shift the pressure to the barrel nut and the Delta ring?

Just thinking in text here.

rbernie
March 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
are there any downsides to free-floating an AR barrel in one of these rail systems?

Doesn't it shift the pressure to the barrel nut and the Delta ring?Yes, it does shift the load from the barrel to the barrel nut. That's a good thing.

.cheese.
March 15, 2008, 10:00 PM
does this contribute to premature wear of any kind?

Coronach
March 15, 2008, 10:08 PM
The Omega rail adds a little complexity (two piece vs one piece) and uses an aluminum barrel nut as opposed to steel. Both of those are, in the general sense, disadvantages, but I have no idea whether they're real disadvantages or just nothing to worry about.

Mike

rbernie
March 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
Are you sure? I was of the impression that the Omega bolted on the stock barrel nut with no changes needed.

Also - I have a BUNCH of float arms with alloy barrel nuts, and I have seen no issues with that.

Coronach
March 16, 2008, 01:38 AM
Actually, you might be right. If it used a new barrel nut, you'd have to take the FSB off to do it, and one of the advantages of the Omega is that you don't have to do that.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Daniel Defense rails" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!