General "general" discussion?

PDA

harbingerm
March 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
Most forums that are topic related have a "General Discussion" area, but this one doesn't. I'd love to see one created here so that any other questions can be asked. Most gun owners tend to think alike so it could be a good information resource for non-gun related stuff. Stuff like electronics, tools, places to go/see, etc. Sort of a "General Non Glocking" type forum. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "General "general" discussion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
March 14, 2008, 06:09 PM
www.armedpolitesociety.com

harbingerm
March 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
What does that have to do with creating a "general discussion" forum HERE? :rolleyes:

john1911
March 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
I disagree. "General Discussion" areas usually become less than discussion and more generally disagreeable. If you read the "GD" area of most other forums, it becomes readily apparent.

harbingerm
March 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
So what if I want to ask a bunch of people HERE who are interested in the outdoors about camping equipment, GPS, places to go, etc? People who could provide advice based on their profession? Not a place here to do that. And, please, don't tell me to go to all those specific websites when we can have a tidy general "question and answer" forum right here.

VHinch
March 14, 2008, 06:54 PM
What does that have to do with creating a "general discussion" forum HERE?

APS is what used to be the general discussion area here. It became a huge headache for the mods, so it was moved to it's own forum, with it's own set of mods. As far as there ever being another one here, I'd be willing to bet a large sum that it will never happen, and I certainly hope I am right.

harbingerm
March 14, 2008, 06:59 PM
Well, then I don't know what makes this site is so "short bus special" that it can't handle a general discussion forum like just about EVERY other forum out there has. :rolleyes:

RNB65
March 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
General discussion, politics, and religion are not allowed at THR. Firearms related topics only. APS is for non-firearms stuff. Love it or leave it...
-

akodo
March 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
this board is attemting to follow a very narrow mission guideline, hence it has chosen to have no 'general general' discussion at this address, but hosts that feature on a sister-website.

Obviously, a different set of modding skills and tolerances are required, so that sight has it's own mods.

Also, this place has on occasion been funded by donations. Many people are willing to reach into their pockets to support pro right to keep and bear arms information and activities, but don't want to fund just a 'talkie on everything' board. Hence dividing them up allows those who want to to support jsut one angle have that option, and anyone who wants to support both also have that option

If you see it as so 'short bus' why did you climb on?

I am sure the bus driver will let you back off if you find this bus not to your liking.

Gator
March 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
Well, then I don't know what makes this site is so "short bus special" that it can't handle a general discussion forum like just about EVERY other forum out there has.

Good example!

Larry Ashcraft
March 14, 2008, 10:21 PM
In case you haven't noticed, this isn't:
EVERY other forum
And we intend to keep it that way.

Louisiana Carry
March 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
armedpolitesociety- now there's a misleading domain name.

If that is what GD used to be here, I am not surprise it was cut out.

Robert Hairless
March 15, 2008, 12:27 AM
This is a great forum but it would be a much better forum if it was another forum altogether and had different message sections too. :)

Harbingerm, you joined the forum on March 10. Four days later you asked for the forum to be changed and insulted its other members. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's considered gracious to wait at least a week before denouncing the forum, its members, and of course its moderators.

Hold on. I misread my notes. No, you don't have to wait a whole week before denouncing the moderators.

Slow down. If you continue at this excelerated pace you'll burn out in a month and won't have anything to complain about. Save some of that energy so you can string out the complaints over a longer period of time.

Louisiana Carry
March 15, 2008, 08:16 AM
*snort!*

ArfinGreebly
March 15, 2008, 11:30 PM
Well, then I don't know what makes this site is so "short bus special" that it can't handle a general discussion forum like just about EVERY other forum out there has. :rolleyes:
Wow.

First, may I direct your attention to post #6 above. VHinch has been here pretty much since the beginning. He has been witness to the growth and growing pains of THR.

By the time *I* arrived, the "Roundtable" had already been removed and its topic traffic reassigned to the "sister site" at Armed Polite Society (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/) (or APS).

That removed a large slice of the "noise" on the site, but not enough. Last year, the Legal & Political sub-forum was closed and re-opened as simply "Legal" and the political topic traffic was also moved over to APS.

THR and APS are hosted by the same outfit and housed on the same server. Both are owned by Oleg Volk. Oleg, not being in the employ of the government, has the status of Private Person and, consequently, this site has the status of Private Property or (more properly) Private Domain.

Oleg extends his hospitality to all, and has recruited a handful of volunteers to help him keep the site on-mission and as free of noise as is possible. In order to become unwelcome here, a member has to pretty much blatantly violate the rules, at which point Oleg's hospitality -- for that individual -- is withdrawn.

Politeness is an integral part of the culture here at THR, and signal is valued above noise. When a component of THR begins to generate more noise than signal, it becomes a candidate for removal or reassignment. If all the efforts of the moderators are unable to restore it to a positive signal/noise ratio, it will very likely either go away entirely or be relocated to the sister site.

If something you desire is not here, but is on APS (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/), then you can be sure that this did not happen capriciously or suddenly, but only after the expenditure of much effort over time, and only after considerable discussion among the moderators and the site owner.

I can understand how this would not be completely obvious to someone who is new here, but if you stick around it will gradually become apparent how this is so.

Welcome to The High Road; enjoy the ride.

Robert Hairless
March 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
Something I've observed here is the respectful and even affectionate way the moderators refer to Oleg Volk.

You understand, of course, that it reflects well on the moderators too. I find such behavior attractive and appreciate it.

harbingerm
March 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
All right already, guys. Drop it, delete this thread, whatever, I don't care. I didn't realize APS was "part" of THR or even affiliated as I haven't even been to APS yet.

XavierBreath
March 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
All right already, guys. Drop it, delete this thread, whatever, I don't care. Fair enough. I'll close it for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "General "general" discussion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!