Is pepper spray safe in a hot car?

PDA

dogma512
March 16, 2008, 01:53 AM
I live in Hawaii and park my car on the street. Needless to stay, it gets rather hot inside the vehicle. Has anyone heard of a hot car causing a container to leak or discharge?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is pepper spray safe in a hot car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Packman
March 16, 2008, 02:47 AM
that's a good question...I've often wondered that myself. In Florida, it's not uncommon for a car interior to get way up over 100 degrees in the summer sun.

OC going of in there would sure cause one heck of a mess...

chris in va
March 16, 2008, 03:02 AM
Read the packaging label. Should tell you.

dogma512
March 16, 2008, 03:07 AM
I would imagine that the can would need to be able to take at least 150f before failure.

March 16, 2008, 03:19 AM
A good quality product shouldn't be an issue. I keep a can in each of my POVs. Never had a problem. Of course, around here we cycle through a wider range of temperatures than you do on the island. Likewise, we keep several "crowd pleaser" sized canisters in all of the supervisor vehicles at work- none of them have failed which is a good thing because there's a lot of OC in them.

dogma512
March 16, 2008, 03:40 AM
none of them have failed which is a good thing because there's a lot of OC in them.

That's good to know. You'd probably have to have the car towed to a "cleaning" service if one ruptured. Can you imagine the call to AAA?

AAA: Hello, how can I help you?
Me: Ya, I can't get into my car.
AAA: Did you lock your keys in the car sir?
Me: No...

coelacanth
March 16, 2008, 06:34 AM
130 degrees Farenheit. They have to be able to withstand that or they are unsafe to ship with freight carriers. That said, I wouldn't leave one laying in direct sunlight on the dashboard of the car during a summer day - that might be pushing the envelope.

A man with a gun!
March 16, 2008, 08:03 AM
I don't know about pepper spray but I've had a can of Mace leak in a hot car. It was a tearful experience.

Ballistic Jello
March 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
That was a terribly humorous pun.

106rr
March 24, 2008, 03:13 AM
They make a special type of pepper spray container for extreme temperatures. I think J&L Defense sells it. It is oval and has a thumb safety as well.

CWL
March 24, 2008, 03:30 AM
Rather than hi temps rupturing the container (which I doubt), does heat destabilize the OC and lower the SHUs?

I think this may be a more valid concern.

a-sheepdog
March 25, 2008, 01:34 AM
I had and experience with a can of OC spray that sprung a leak while driving. I think that the seal on the can basically went bad from heat over a period of time (about a year). It was not violent burst, but it did make it unpleasant while driving and it got into the vents of the AC, needless to say, the kids were not happy and neither was the wife.

LAK
March 26, 2008, 09:29 AM
The Kimber "Guardian Angel" units feature propellant charges - not pressurized gas - and apparently are unaffected by higher temperatures.

I always have a few cans of carb cleaner, spray lube etc always sitting in the rear deck of my truck amongst tools and other things. I have had a few slow leak but never had one discharge suddenly and quickly. I do usually make the effort to keep them low down and out of direct sun.

If you have an aerosol pepper can in there keep it low and well covered on the rear passenger floor and it will probably be OK.

------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://sunitedstates.org

Vonderek
March 26, 2008, 07:25 PM
My sister had one rupture in her car. I don't remember the brand of spray but it was on her console. My bro-in-law was the first one in and came out a moment later with a bad expression on his face. The canister had blown its top into the roof with considerable force and filled the car with pepper spray. This was in the summertime in St. Louis.

Coronach
March 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hmm. Is the consensus that these cans 'go south' after extended exposure to the temperature extremes, or is only a couple times enough? Figure we're talking about a cannister in the door pouch of a vehicle in Ohio, not on the dashboard of a car in the Sahara. You will have some hot days, but not very many real cookers per year.

I ask because you could rotate them out after one season and not have one 'splode on you. You hope.

Mike

coyotehitman
March 26, 2008, 10:59 PM
Do not leave your OC in a hot car. It will leak when exposed to heat. It happened to me and I do not live in an ultra high heat environment.

eliphalet
March 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
I donno about pepper spray but can tell ya not to let a can of mace get lost under the P/U seat and forget it's there several years. It'll finally wear a hole in the can while your driving and is definitely a tearful experience even in the summer with the window down, on a narrow mountain road. Takes awhile to find the source after a hour or so to air the cab out. At first you stop and just kinda stand outside the truck wondering "what the heck" for some time till the air clears enough to look farther, didn't have a clue it was in there. Not fun at the time but we have laughed about it plenty in the years since.

NorestRDS
March 30, 2008, 12:27 AM
get a can of vexor its good upto 150 .

brent376
March 31, 2008, 02:23 AM
Kimber Guardian Angel is safe up to 176 Degrees and Vexor is 150.

www.life-act.com

www.zarc.com

NorestRDS
March 31, 2008, 06:15 PM
the kimber product is good if you have a limp wrist or a "man bag" . why leave a tool in the car ? put a can in your pocket or on your belt . whats the point in owning it if you are not around it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is pepper spray safe in a hot car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!