Tikka T3 or a Remignton 700 SPS?

PDA

Greenspartan117
March 16, 2008, 04:04 PM
Dear THR Members,

This is my first thread here on THR. I just want to say that you guys have a wealth of information that is great to learn from one firearms enthusiast to another. I was wondering whether I should buy a Tikka T3 in .308 left hand version, or a Remington 700 SPS in .308 and left hand as well? I will be using this for long range paper punching (hopefully one day 800 yds+):-P. With the Remington I know that I will have to true the action and replace the barrel in the future to get the best accuracy from it. I also know that the stock on the SPS is meant as a temporary stock before being placed in a McMillian or an AICS. That being said I started looking at the Tikka T3 because it would save me some initial money in that I do not have to true the action and so I would be able to buy better glass, Looking at U.S. Optics SN3 3-17x (is this overkill?) Would I be able to get a McMillian stock for the Tikka? After shooting out the factory barrel would a Mike Rock 5r Barrel be a wise choice for the gun? Thank you guys for your help.

Greenspartan117,

p.s. I read the Chuck Hawk's rip on the T3, fact is that I am a lefty kinda makes rifle buying an interesting matter. I still hear many positives about the Tikka and still would like to buy one or an SPS

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 or a Remignton 700 SPS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Afy
March 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
The T3 is a great rifle... as is the Remmington 700. But I think in my unimformed opinion the T3 is better...

Fumbler
March 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
Pick both of them up.
Both will have lots of plastic and that's Hawk's biggest gripe with the T3...
But once you pick them up you'll really see why the T3 is superior.
It has the Sako/Tikka extractor and is machined to much better tolerances.
The bolt lift is shorter, the bolt throw is smoother, and the trigger will be more crisp.
The T3 also has an accuracy guarantee. I don't know who Chuck Hawks talked to about the T3, but ask any T3 owner if their rifles are accurate...

Cain R
March 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
A close friend of mine has the Western Canadian Remington Warrenty Repair Depot. From what he says the new Remingtons are NOT what they were 10 years ago. The quility has gone way down in compared to the Tikka and European rifles. The Tikka has lots of plastic and can not be topped up from the reciever. However the fit, barrel quality, extractor and smoothness of operation are just plain better in the Tikka.

Greenspartan117
March 16, 2008, 06:02 PM
hmm I think I might be getting the Tikka now... :-) Thank you for all the information so far... Please feel free to post any experiences you have had, and any suggestions.

Green

hessy
March 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
Tikka hands down. Very accurate, smooth well made rifle. No mods required.

litman252
March 16, 2008, 07:00 PM
I really like the Tikka, have nothing against a Rem, just better bang for the buck with the Tikka.

Tony

Gun Slinger
March 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
At one point, I had three Remington rifles (700's) in .223, .308, .30-06.

Since then, all of my Remington 700's have been replaced by Tikka T3's in the same calibers because the Tikka T3's offer superior trigger pulls (adjustable from 2-6 lbs.), smoother action and a lighter overall package even after being fitted with optics not tomention outstanding accuracy. Not only is the action much smoother than the Remington's, it also has the benefit of an integrally milled scope rail atop the receiver much akin to the 3/8" rail found on .22 rifles that makes exchanging mounts/scopes easier than any other design with very little 're-zeroing' required. All of my Tikka's are "sub-MOA" performers with factory hunting ammunition right out of the box, too.

The Tikka's do not need to be "topped up from the receiver" either since they have a detachable magazine that can be removed for the purpose of bringing it up to it's full capacity and then reinserted into the rifle again once a round has been chambered from it.

As for the fact that Tikka's have 'alot of plastic' in their construction is a "non-issue". AR-15's also have 'alot of plastic' in their construction and no one seems to question their quality or durability and they will see much harsher conditions over a greater timeframe than most hunting rifles ever will.

For about the same price, and in some cases a little less, Tikka offers a much better (in almost every aspect of quality) rifle than does Remington.

In short, get the Tikka.

silverlance
March 16, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have a Tikka T3 Tactical. I would PREFER that the magazine was steel, or that they were not $85 each as they are right now.

But to be honest, my gun is not meant for deer hunting. It is meant to be a sniper's weapon, and at that it is superb.

However. If you are not a very good shooter already... buy a used gun.

I got my T3 Tac with a 20x SWFA with leupold rings and sako brake for 1100.

LongRangeInternational
March 17, 2008, 07:02 AM
The cost of Tikka mags is prohibitive.

KI.W.
March 17, 2008, 12:08 PM
Tikka-quality is going down like cow tail ....with plastick and easy making production way.
There is no more made in Finland Tikka. (Beretta owner to day). :cuss:

HGUNHNTR
March 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
Tikka, great trigger, 1moa or better guaranteed, under 7 lbs.

Essex County
March 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
Please put me firmly in the T3 camp. Essex

vikz
March 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
well i used to have a tikka t3 in 223( i hated selling that rifle but i had too) and she shoots like this at a 100yds..so needless to say i shall buy one again in the future..and yes i did own a remington SVF with 26" barrel in 308 it was very nice too but 308 is a bit too much for me for just plinking but she was nice too..

both shot at a 100yds with factory ammo..

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/remingtonsvf308at100yds001.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/remingtonsvf308002.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/remingtonsvf308001.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/tikka223anddpms100yds002.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/tikka223anddpms100yds001.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/vikz07/tikka223003.jpg

pbrktrt
March 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
take a look at the weatherby vanguard sub-moa. hard to beat for the money.

Ohen Cepel
March 17, 2008, 08:48 PM
My Father is getting up in years and has tons of rifles to hunt with, yet, he uses a Tikka. That has clenched it for me. Only thing I would look at over it would be a Sako right now if you want an out of the box certified MOA shooter.

I would also consider a Savage if it fit your needs.

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
March 17, 2008, 08:52 PM
im a 700 kinda guy BUT the tikka is eating the 700's lunch left and right. get the tikka if you want something great out of the box. if you want something that can grow with your skills get a 700 and start dropping coin for a seriously sick rifle, http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/cust_remington_700.php
you can get .5 MOA guaranteed.

benatilstate
March 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
I love my SPS varmint and I think its very hard to beat for the price (I paid $550 new - Idk what the Tikka runs). The trigger is good (for factory) and easily adjustable. The accuracy is good, I have been able to shoot well under an inch with 150gr Am Eagle ammo. The stock is lacking a bit, but for the time being it is good enough. However, good luck finding an SPS varmint, esp in left hand - I have heard that they are hard to come by.

Pine Cone
March 18, 2008, 02:13 AM
Faced with the same decision I chose the Tikka, but went for 30-06 over the .308

I really wish there were more choices for us lefties. Mostly I use lever actions, but I wanted a bolt action hunting rifle and in my local market the choices were the Remington, Tikka, Browning and Ruger. The Tikka seemed to be the best value for the money. I would have liked to try the Savage, but no one had a left handed one around here.

For aesthetic reasons I wanted a stainless rifle with a laminated wood stock, but only the Ruger seems to be made that way now.

The Tikka shoots well and seems very well made, with one of the smoothest bolt actions of any rifle I have ever used. I have hopes of finding a replacement stock for it, but no one seems to make one.

Does anyone know of a maker of left hand laminated Tikka T3 stocks?

litman252
March 18, 2008, 02:25 AM
Well I do agree it sucks to drop $85 on a mag, the average NA hunter needs how many?? I can't think it would be more than 3 for a serious always has a back up handy kind of a guy. Also note 5 rounders , most major calibers are 3 for a flush fit, are a available at nearly the same cost.

Not that bad for a High 5 hundred dollar gun in budget form with good performance.

Tony

poorfolks
March 18, 2008, 05:41 AM
i would really like to know if anyone has info on new stocks for the tikka t3's. please and thank you.

rbernie
March 18, 2008, 08:40 AM
I chose to stick with Remmie 700s for my last two push-feed bolt guns because I wanted the aftermarket support that the Remmie brings with it.

If I was likely to be perfectly happy with a stock rifle, the Tikka would be hard to pass up. I just wish they made the LA chamberings with 24"-26" tubes.

litman252
March 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
Poor Folks,
I'm not aware of any after market, they do have a real nice "snipper" style for at least 308 that looks beautiful.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sporter.htm

Tony

10-Ring
March 18, 2008, 11:28 PM
I've been giving those lefty T3s a good long look myself -- tough to beat ;)

poorfolks
March 19, 2008, 04:00 AM
thank you Tony.

Greenspartan117
March 19, 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh I found out some interesting info for those of you that would like to change out the Tikka T3's stock. there is a company/ guy working on a aluminum chassis that uses the AICS bolt on skins, aka exterior looks like the aics. has he has a few pics up in this thread, if you notice I posted a question about a left hand version and his response was YES!
here's a link to the thread on sniper's hide:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=513243&gonew=1#UNREAD

I hope this helps

wolf13
March 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
I was deciding the same thing, 700 or a T3. Ended up going with the Tikka, got it for around 550 if I remember correctly. I was amazed at how smooth the bolt is. I have the T3 Lite, and it is really lite, too lite for what I wanted, but the rifle is an excellent rifle.

Yakko Warner
June 26, 2008, 02:19 AM
A few companies are promising to inlet their stocks for T3's later this year.
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13376&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tikka+stock

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 or a Remignton 700 SPS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!