AK47 and 74 Magazines

PDA

686+
March 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
Which ones form the former east block are goood? Which are better then others?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK47 and 74 Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Evil Monkey
March 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
While there are differences in materials used, etc, if they're brand new then they are all good magazines. You have to remember that if it came from a former warsaw pact country, you can bet they were designed for the military and that they need to be as reliable as possible, and they are. This is assuming they are new because like everything used, there can be problems.

If you are shopping for surplus, look for mags that have the least wear. It's up to you to decide if you like steel, polymer, bakelite, etc.

dfariswheel
March 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
That pretty well covers it.

The reason why AK magazines are uniformly good, is because they were over-engineered to start with.
The magazines are made of thick steel with heavy-duty steel feed lips.
The magazine is longer than necessary to allow a "reserve" space for the spring.
Since the spring has extra room it isn't over-compressed.

All this makes for a magazine that's pretty well bullet proof and seldom gives trouble unless rusty or badly abused.

harbingerm
March 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know about the "extra reserve space". My AK-74 mags stop taking rounds when the spring stacks up fully. On another note, all the 74 mags I have can only take 28 rounds. I've left them fully loaded for a long time, so it's not the spring taking a set that's the issue. I wonder why they aren't 30 rounders like the 47 mags.

stubbicatt
March 16, 2008, 08:08 PM
harbingerm, are you shooting 5.45 or 5.56 in those magazines? Mine will hold 30 rounds, and there is a little window or hole along the spine which shows a case head on the 30th round so there is no mistake.

I've never heard of that issue before in the 5.45 magazines.

harbingerm
March 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
5.45. I do see a case head through that hole that's about 1/4 the way up from the bottom. I only have three mags right now. A black poly one that came with it and two brown bakelite mags.

000Buck
March 16, 2008, 10:58 PM
The new East German ones at whatacountry are very nice and reliable.

buck00
March 17, 2008, 02:21 AM
http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=1586586.30367*YL8ZI0&p_id=00011&xm=on&ppinc=big

As far as the AK74, I was just going to say go to Ohio Rapid Fire for Russian Izhevsk mags, they had four packs for $55, but that window is gone. The price just shot up to $90.

Even East German mags, which used to be $6 a pop are now $$$. :(

AK-47 mags are pretty cheap. I personally like the steel surplus mags, I'm not a fan of polymer or waffle mags for 7.62 x 39. Cope's has a huge selection of AK-47 mags:

http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm

HorseSoldier
March 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
On another note, all the 74 mags I have can only take 28 rounds.

Strange. I've got some of the Russian bakelites, Bulgarian plastic, and one Romanian or Polish (not sure which) steel 74 mag, and all of them will take 30 rounds without much fuss.

sefus
March 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
All my bakelites are great (and hold 30 too:neener:)

Boy, I sure cannot find 74 mags for anything less than $20 a pop.

-Sefus

Halo
March 17, 2008, 09:25 PM
My favorites are the Bulgarian waffle mags.

LeibstandarteAdH
March 18, 2008, 01:23 AM
I don't know about the "extra reserve space". My AK-74 mags stop taking rounds when the spring stacks up fully. On another note, all the 74 mags I have can only take 28 rounds. I've left them fully loaded for a long time, so it's not the spring taking a set that's the issue. I wonder why they aren't 30 rounders like the 47 mags.

No, it stops taking rounds when the extended follower bottoms out, not the spring. And there are none that dont take at least 29 unless they are impropperly assembled or broken ect.. that i have ever had or heard of, which is a pretty good ammount.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK47 and 74 Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!