Good hi-cap rifle under $450 after fees

PDA

thisismygun
March 16, 2008, 08:14 PM
Someone please point me in the direction of where I can find this. Any recommendations. I am leaning towards the AK tree but I don't know where to find a reliable seller who won't sell me canted, corroded, overpriced crap.
Thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Good hi-cap rifle under $450 after fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trbon8r
March 16, 2008, 08:30 PM
You can get a Yugo AK for right in the price range you quoted. That would be where I would start. Take a look at Classic Arms website as a good place to start looking for an AK.

Of course you said "high cap". That sort of rules out a Garand from CMP. Then again I guess it depends on what you want. Some folks might consider a Garand "high cap". Good luck. :)

thisismygun
March 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
But I've heard alot of stories about how Yugo's gas blocks are corroded to hell, is classicarms any different?

rangerruck
March 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
tell us your state or city...

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 12:07 AM
Northern Virginia

happybrew
March 17, 2008, 12:54 AM
Wasr-10

chris in va
March 17, 2008, 01:30 AM
Saiga for ~$300, then get the Master Molder mags.

There's been some discussion that the 30rd mags don't violate 922, but I haven't confirmed that officially yet.

Since you live in NOVA, head to the next gun show at the Expo Center in Chantilly. Get there friday though, the Saiga's sell quick. Next show is April 11th.

http://www.cegunshows.com/

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 01:47 AM
Last time I went to the show I didn't really find any in my price range. Some underfolders, but they were going for $500... So I'm a little discouraged. Do you know any sites, or gun stores around here that are within my specs?

chris in va
March 17, 2008, 01:53 AM
You don't think a Saiga would work for you? It can be converted for ~$150.

Here's a basic conversion picture.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1917/saiga762nn3.jpg

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 02:10 AM
Who does conversions? I wouldn't mind buying a Saiga if it can be converted, but if it ends up costing more than a mid-ak then I'm a bit weary. Honestly I'd buy a yugo but I heard stories about the corrosion being so bad they sold it. And of course stories about wasr's being bad yada yada... and I'm not quite up to Bulgarian. Thats why I ask if you know any gun stores around here, I certainly don't.

chris in va
March 17, 2008, 02:14 AM
You do the conversion. Takes a couple hours or less.

Frankly I left mine unconverted, like it just fine as-is. The 30rd Master Molder mags are about $13 each.

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 02:16 AM
Heh, I don't have a clue how to do something like that, add the fact I'm mechanically retarded.

chris in va
March 17, 2008, 02:21 AM
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=saiga+conversion&search_type=

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=5

Going to bed now!:cool:

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'll check that out and see if its doable for me.

rangerruck
March 17, 2008, 04:09 AM
or if not that, get an stg-2000,A GERMAN designed AK, which is romanian made , with a (i think) German or Austria made , button rifled bbl, that is converted stateside, for about 400 bucks. Like this;
http://www.ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc

RockyMtnTactical
March 17, 2008, 12:25 PM
Saiga.

You can do the conversion yourself. It's fairly easy.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
March 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
Saiga .308 - fine rifle as is, has high caps available and the.308 is a potent caliber for any critter you might run into.

Dave

MortalWombat
March 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
You can use US made 30 rd mags like the Master Molders in a Saiga without having to do a full conversion if you just replace one more part w/ a US made part. Like a gas piston or (even easier, but slightly more expensive) handguard, like the Tapco Galil style handguard.

Fozzy_Bear
March 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
All of the next three weekends, there are gun shows in VA. (eastern Va mostly, but it depends on what YOU consider "too far")

- Nothing beats a good ol'fashoned eye-ballin'.

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
So I take it the gun stores around here are crap, considering no one is even mentioning them.

ditchdigger
March 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
there are a few good shops around here, mainly in the Manassas area, one in Newington, last time I was there I don't recall any saiga rifles, just the shotguns. Try one of the local small shops and see if they can find you one. the biggest problem with the nations gun show is the prices are usually higher than at the gunshops, but there is a much bigger selection.

DWhitehorne
March 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
VA Arms in Manassass is your best bet. I was in there 2 weeks ago and they had a basic Saiga 7.62x39 (not the converted one pictured above) for under 300. They had what looked like a WASR on the wall for about 400. They also have alot of consignment stuff come in. i've spent way too much there.

A dealer Dark sun surplus is usually at the Dulles Gun Show. They usually have the best prices on Romanian AK's. David

MD_Willington
March 17, 2008, 04:58 PM
STG-2000 aka "Other word for excrement Turd Gun"... not all it is cracked up to be... Romanian in new clothes...

thisismygun
March 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
Well let me clarify I'm not specifically looking for Saigas, a decent hi cap will do. I know rommys or yugos are not the greatest on the shelf but if they work they work. I just want to know a place that won't sell me crap and call it kalashnikov, that will fit in my budget.

Crunker1337
March 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
You don't want a .22LR?

dm1333
March 17, 2008, 07:10 PM
I absolutely hate it when people do this, but...................

Have you looked at the CMMG Bargain Bin rifles? You can get an M4gery for $570, plus shipping and FFL. My choice for an AK would probably be a WASR 10 but that is the only AK I have any experience with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good hi-cap rifle under $450 after fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!