Hi Standard R-103 9-shot .22rf

PDA

FPrice
August 8, 2003, 10:46 PM
My dealer just picked up a very nice Hi Standard .22rf revolver. It has a 6" barrel, the finish looks very good, almost but not quite NIB, and it dates back to 1973. Anyone have any idea as to the quality of these revolvers? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Standard R-103 9-shot .22rf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drakejake
August 8, 2003, 11:27 PM
I have knowledge of only one Hi Standard revolver. I bought a nine-shot .22 mag revolver several months ago. The double action trigger is very, very heavy. The single action is so so. Hi Standard is known for its semiautomatics, not for the revolvers. But I imagine they are utilitarian at best.

Drakejake

Penman
August 8, 2003, 11:30 PM
They have a good reputation as kit guns and plinkers. Is this the "Sentinel" model that looks like a DA revolver, or one of the Western styled models that look like SA revolvers but are actually double action? Use it, you'll like it.

Standing Wolf
August 9, 2003, 08:10 PM
With the possible exception of the Crusader, High Standard revolvers were second tier: not up to Smith & Wesson and Colt standards, but better than some of the no-name revolvers whose only claim to fame was price.

The Crusader was a geared lock work .44 magnum or .45 long Colt revolver made toward the end of High Standard's life. It was about the size of a Smith & Wesson N frame and supposedly well made, but only a few were ever sold. I've heard High Standard private-labelled some early Dan Wesson revolver, so they'd probably be top tier, but again, it's my understanding there weren't many on the market.

I've looked at a number of High Standard .22 caliber revolvers over the years, and the best impressed me as being worthy kit guns; I've never, however, understood how the company wandered so far afield of the .22 caliber semi-automatic match pistols it earned its reputation with. Adventures in corporate mismanagement, I guess.

The best High Standard site I'm aware of is: http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Standard R-103 9-shot .22rf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!