question about springfield's (the company) garands

PDA

papajack
March 17, 2008, 04:07 PM
are they mil-spec? do they have a bayonet lug and other things banned by the clinton ban?

If you enjoyed reading about "question about springfield's (the company) garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DPris
March 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
They are largely mil-spec. They were a mixture of a cast commercial receiver, surplus parts, and commercial parts such as new stocks & so on.
The exterior configuration was essentially GI in appearance with the bayonet lug & so on.
I don't think there was anything else on the Garand that was prohibited by the AWB.
Denis

Swampy
March 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
papajack,

The clinton ban did not affect the M1 Garand in any way.....

One minor note: The SA Inc. put together M1's use a new commercial barrel with a wrench flat machined on the bottom of the chamber area. Not visible externally, but since it's not a GI contour on the barrel, this DQ's rifles with that barrel from participating in any of the CMP sponsored Garand events. Just a heads up......

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

Onmilo
March 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
They are not Mil-Spec.
Almost all the parts are investment castings now, even the rear sight parts with one exception.
The gas cylinders appear identical to those currently made by Badger Ordnance.
The only parts I could identify as probably genuine military production were the hammer and trigger pin, the rear sight cover, and the firing pin.

jkingrph
March 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have one, having bought before all the publicity about availability via CMP.

It seems to be identical to a mil spec model, although I do not know enough to comment about flat on barrel. For the life of me I cannot understand why that would disqualify from CMP sponsered events, does not affect function or ability to install any after market devices ect.

Mine functions perfectly, which is what I wanted and did not know enough to buy a surplus model. It is so flawless that it will load empties from a clip ( cycling action by hand), all eight. I have also done with empties previously fired in another rifle.

They are a bit pricy, but at the time worth it, and would probably do it again. I did know that it was new receiver, barrel and stock, with selected mil surlplus parts.

Swampy
March 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
It seems to be identical to a mil spec model, although I do not know enough to comment about flat on barrel. For the life of me I cannot understand why that would disqualify from CMP sponsered events,

Them's just the rules..... and "rules is rules".

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

SlamFire1
March 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
A public law banning the importation of Garands, M1911's and Carbines was enacted during the Clinton Presidency.

The first year Springfield Armory brought to Camp Perry these M1 Garand receivers to sell, I examined a few and asked them where they were made. Apparently they are cast by an Australian firm.

The rifles built up on these receivers looked fine, but I have never shot one. They had regular gas cylinders with bayonet lugs.

I do not recall if they had any receiver "seconds" to sell last year, but Springfield Armory brings seconds to sell for the shooters at the National Matches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/ReducedSpringfiledArmory2007DSCN657.jpg

Neo-Luddite
March 18, 2008, 11:33 AM
...but they DO have a lifetime guarentee.

DPris
March 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
The early SA Garand I had had a number of surplus parts, as I understand it SA began to use more commercial parts before dropping the guns toward the end of production.
Barrel, receiver & stock were all commercial, smaller parts were GI. I have a book on the Garand & actually went through mine part by part, it had a mix of early & late genuine surplus parts in it.
Totally mil-spec? No. Mil-spec in appearance & function as far as not being castrated by the AWB, yes.
Denis

Ratzinger_p38
March 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
A public law banning the importation of Garands, M1911's and Carbines was enacted during the Clinton Presidency.

Seems to be dead now, with all the imports of Carbines coming from Israel and Italy..

SlamFire1
March 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
Seems to be dead now, with all the imports of Carbines coming from Israel and Italy..

I forgot the section and number of the public law, so I can't research to see if it is still on the books. And I do not know how they got those Carbines in.

However, to ban anything, foreign or domestic, all future President Her Royal Hillary has to do is issue Executive Orders. The reason those AK's, F/N's etc, have seven US parts on them, is because of Clinton V1.0 Executive orders.

Get what you can while you can.

PS. I was informed that the SOG carbines sold out on the first day.

jkingrph
March 18, 2008, 05:45 PM
Them's just the rules..... and "rules is rules

I understand, but it seems to me as though that is one that does not make sense. Would filing say a small flat on the outside of the exposed muzzle end of the barrel make it inelligble? Not trying to start something

highorder
March 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
the SA Inc. rifles are NOT service rifles, they are replicas of service rifles.

lots of rules dont make sense.

Neo-Luddite
March 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
--what's UP with commercial imports of former DOD property??? IS THAT OK AGAIN ala Blue Sky in the 80's/90's ????

Swampy
March 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Them's just the rules..... and "rules is rules
I understand, but it seems to me as though that is one that does not make sense. Would filing say a small flat on the outside of the exposed muzzle end of the barrel make it inelligble? Not trying to start something

If it was evident that you did it yourself, it would depend on the line judge holding your rifle.....

If it was done to correct a "bad spot" on the end of the barrel, or for some other corrective purpose, then the judge might let it slide.

If it was obviously done with some intent or purpose that changed the the function or utility of the rifle in any way I'm quite sure they would DQ it.

Since the wrench flat on the back end of the SA Inc. barrel is a MANUFACTURED IN difference from true GI spec, then that by definition is not a GI spec rifle, therefore, not legal by CMP rules.

The line has to be drawn in any set of rules, and that is where the CMP has drawn it. Their game, their rules.... and rules is rules.

Best to all,
swampy

Garands forever

Trebor
March 19, 2008, 11:46 AM
The receivers are cast, not forged. That makes them "not mil-spec" right there.

Also, the receiver specs may or may not be totally in spec to GI specs. Don't forget about the other cast parts.

Personally, why buy a SA Inc. gun for MORE then a CMP all-USGI authentic M-1 Garand costs?

Yeah. some guys want to "buy new" instead of "surplus," but when the "new" gun uses cast parts instead of USGI spec forged parts, why does the fact that it's "New" help?

DPris
March 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
The receivers do not meet mil specs. They don't fit in a standard GI stock.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "question about springfield's (the company) garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!