Why isnt there an OFF TOPIC?

PDA

Nightwing
March 17, 2008, 06:16 PM
Every time someone gets slightly off topic mods lock the thread. I see a lot of fun and interesting threads come and go SO FAST here, and i think that people would really enjoy a place where these threads could continue to be used.
Is there any chance of an Off Topic in the future?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why isnt there an OFF TOPIC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Superlite27
March 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
This is OT.

Thread lock in 5...4...3...:evil:

Nightwing
March 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
can we have an on topic discussion about the reality of an OffTopic area? Pleeease?

NomDeWeb
March 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
Every forum I've joined has an off-topic section.

TexasRifleman
March 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
There IS......

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/

It's run by the same people, on the same server, just a different database.

3pairs12
March 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
GT also has some off topic spots. The thing I don't like is that floods the newposts with ot banter. Which I am going to do also right now.

bogie
March 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
Prob is that one cannot easily banish a thread to it... You have to hang the thread in public first.

Nightwing
March 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
exactly. I want somewhere for the threads HERE to go. Not just to die.
I don't want to use the other forums. I like this forum, but would like the ability to talk in threads I had interest in even if they went off topic.
Also, I've noticed the iron admin hammer coming down a little hard again lately. this seems to come in phases. I mean... come on guys. I know we want a respectable place here, and a place that people interested in guns can meet level headed people and see a more positive opinion and education on firearms, but.... it's almost to the point of censorship in the highest degree sometimes. A perfectly valid comment being made and the thread being locked, or the comment being deleted? Surely there's some way to loosen the grip a little. Maybe an Off Topic area is a good place to start?
that's my 2 cents.
And posted with ALL due respect, becasue I do love it here.

Derek Zeanah
March 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
We've had them, and they've never worked. Especially with elections coming up -- tempers flare, people get banned, other people get pissy, and the moderator's workload jumps by a factor of five.

I agree with you -- I want one too. We've had one (well, two maybe). We tried anything goes as long as it's civil, then anything goes unless it's "my God is better than your god," abortion, or a few other topics where folks just couldn't maintain a civil discussion because they were too close to the issues emotionally, and finally said "no more."

It's not because we don't want one. It's because we can't have one without harming the board in the process.

Nightwing
March 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
^ A board I have been using for years took this approach:

Offtopic with a sub forum for politics. Religious discussion was allowed if all parties were being respectful. If it got abusive, points were given to the offensive party and the thread was cleaned up or locked. Negative points eventually earned temporary bans for the abusive members. Took about a month to get things to settle down but it worked and it's a good working system.

JShirley
March 17, 2008, 07:46 PM
Some of us have been moderating large UBBs for years. The decision was made based on our combined pool of experience.

It's not changing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why isnt there an OFF TOPIC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!