.308 168gr, 175gr or heavier

PDA

futureranger
March 17, 2008, 06:55 PM
i have a savage 10fp (1/10" twist), its a little heavy for hunting but I might use it for long field shots (300-600 yards). For hunting whitetails at that range would the 168gr suffice or should I look bigger. I will start reloading for it soon but wanted to ask if bigger was better. Also I was wondering if group sizes opened up at all with heavier bullets, I can shoot 5/8th inch 3 round groups at 100 yards with federal match 168gr. I know police use 168s and sometimes 175gr BTHP but still would like some help deciding.

PS I would like to stick with sierra or hornady BTHP ( trying to save money by reloading…)

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 168gr, 175gr or heavier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jaholder1971
March 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
168 and 175 Grain Matchkings are designed for accurate shooting and not recommended for hunting. While they will deform some and yaw going through soft tissue it's not reliable enough for humane kills on game.

You might try a 165 Grain Sierra HPBT GameKing #2140 or even a Nosler Ballistic Tip in 165 or 180 grain. These usually shoot just as well as Sierra Matchkings. I know because my 180 Nosler BT load is both my deer load as well as my F-class load.

eldon519
March 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
The Hornady 155-grain A-Max has a BC of about .460 which is roughly the same as the Sierra 168-gr MK. The Hornady 165-grain Super Shock Tip is around .475. I'd imagine some of the other Hornady bullets such as the Interbond and some of the heavier A-Maxs would also make fine long-distance bullets on game.

futureranger
March 17, 2008, 09:22 PM
thanks for the info, i was looking at the hornady v-max 178gr bullets they have a better BC than the sierra's MK but i mostly have federal brass to reload with, would that have any affect on accuracy? a also have a little hornady brass but would there be a considerable difference in how they shoot relative to each other? i wont mix them but would it be worth it to reload both types of brass to experiment?

shadowalker
March 17, 2008, 09:35 PM
Keep in mind the v-max and a-max are very lightly constructed and not intended for whitetail, in the Hornady line I'd look at Interbond or SST as they also have a pretty high BC and will perform better.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 168gr, 175gr or heavier" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!