What is this thing on the side of my model 94?

PDA

ImARugerFan
March 17, 2008, 09:31 PM
The best guess I have is that it's where there used to be a saddle ring? Maybe it broke off one day and somebody filed what was left of it down? Any help appreciated.

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this thing on the side of my model 94?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Seafarer12
March 17, 2008, 09:33 PM
Looks that way to me but I am no Winchester man.

41magsnub
March 17, 2008, 09:44 PM
That's the full auto switch!:evil:

MilsurpShooter
March 17, 2008, 10:39 PM
It's the shoulder thing that goes up. Seriously though looks like the remnants of the saddle ring

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/1894-winchester-src/1894-winchester-src-2.jpg

DPris
March 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
Looks like the saddle ring stud has been ground down. Not everybody liked the things flopping around. Some owners had the ring removed if it got noisy & grinding the stud down was easier than plugging the hole with a threaded blank. Could easily be a "bunkhouse conversion".
Denis

andrewdl007
March 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
I have a 1915 Model 94 that belonged to my grandfather. It also has the saddle ring ground off because it was kept in a saddle scabard so I guess he figured it didnt need the ring.

Dumpster Baby
March 18, 2008, 12:08 AM
That's the full auto switch!

It's the shoulder thing that goes up.

This is why I come here! :D

ImARugerFan
March 18, 2008, 09:18 AM
Anybody know where I can get a saddle ring assembly for this gun, or a plug screw? That is assuming I can manage to get the original one out of there...

MMCSRET
March 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
Gun parts or Brownells

ImARugerFan
March 18, 2008, 10:00 AM
Gun parts or Brownells

It looks like all e-gunparts has is post 64 saddle ring plugs(don't know if they're the same threads), and no saddle ring assemblies in stock. Brownells lists the plug as "Dropped by Brownells" and doesn't offer an assembly.

(I'll just make some calls if I decide to mess with it in the future, I'm sure I can find something)

Seafarer12
March 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
http://winchesterbob.com/model94.htm

This guy can get you what you need. He has the saddle ring stuff in stock. Stud for 9 and the ring for 8.

ImARugerFan
March 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks!

DPris
March 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
Did you call Winchester/Browning?
Denis

ImARugerFan
March 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
I have not, I will probably start there. This gun my get reblued... until then a brand new saddle ring will probably look worse. I know that refinishing these guns can strip them of value, but I have no intentions of selling it and it has absolutely no finish on the receiver to begin with.

DPris
March 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
You can call either "Winchester" or Browning, Browning handles parts for both brands.
Make sure you tell them at least approximately how old the gun is (Pre '64, etc.), I don't know if threads & holes varied over the years.
Good luck.
Denis

rcmodel
March 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
Regardless, the new Winchester or Browning company is not going to have a saddle ring & stud for a 94 that old.
Might as well save your phone call.

Wisners might make a repro if Winchester Bob doesn't pan out.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/94.html

rcmodel

Bridger
March 18, 2008, 06:42 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but all this time I've been wondering what the hell the saddle ring does anyway?

Soap
March 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but all this time I've been wondering what the hell the saddle ring does anyway?

It is a retention device for a mounted shooter. Should you drop the rifle for whatever reason, a saddle ring and a piece of rawhide around your body can do wonders.

Vern Humphrey
March 18, 2008, 07:20 PM
The normal use for a Saddle Ring was to attach a leather thong tied to form a loop. This loop was passed around the saddle horn. The gun could either be allowed to hang muzzle down from the saddle horn, or carried across the thighs, with the loop providing extra insurance against being dropped.

In the early part of the 1800s, a common carry device was simply a piece of leather with two "button hole" slits in it. The first slit was "buttoned" to the saddle horn, and the leather folded back on the rider's lap. The rifle was placed on the leather, and the second button hole fastened to the horn.

shuvelrider
March 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
You might try Numrich Arms for oddball parts, scroll down the firearm list and find your gun, exstensive list. Good luck.

Bezoar
March 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
ironically its just about the right spot to be where the "bubba" off switch for the modern cross bolt safety is...

Still, after this many years its probably going to be rusted in, and rusted in screws SUCK at removal.

Baba Louie
March 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
When you're ready you might want to check some of these resources:
http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/obsolete.asp

woad_yurt
March 19, 2008, 09:47 AM
If it doesn't come out easily, spray PB Blaster on it for a few days running and let it soak in. It works way better than Liquid Wrench. PB Blaster has enabled me to unscrew 40 year old exhaust manifold bolts. I think Wal-Mart carries the stuff.

MilsurpShooter
March 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
Another vote for PB blaster but use it in decent ventilation, I can't stand the smell of that stuff. But it works. Rusted Manifold bolts on an old GMC Jimmy that had sat in the woods for 10+ years, also on a barreled reciever that was literally dug out of my friends back yard.

MCgunner
March 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
I took the ring off my Rossi 92. All it's good for is making noise, not a good thing when hunting.

rcmodel
March 19, 2008, 01:51 PM
Old-timers often wrapped the ring with a strip of rawhide or leather boot-lace to deaden the sound of it constantly tinkling against the receiver.

rcmodel

Hardtarget
March 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
The ring for my '94 is still in the bag hanging on my gun closet wall. I got my rifle in '67.

Mark.

ImARugerFan
March 20, 2008, 08:35 AM
Yeah I'll probably just try and get it out of there and put a proper plug screw in. I don't think it'll be hard to get out as long as I can get some kind of a grip on it. All the other receiver screws turned easily, it's just that this one has nothing to hold onto. Thanks for the tips ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this thing on the side of my model 94?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!