Bore Guides? Bore Snakes? Bore Brushes? Patches?

PDA

Dynasty
March 18, 2008, 01:03 AM
Could someone point me in the right direction here? I need cleaning supplies (bore cleaning) for the following rifles:

-Saiga 7.62x39
-Mosin Nagant M44
-Marlin Model 60

From www.midwayusa.com could someone link me to the bore cleaning supplies I need to properly keep the rifles in good performing order?

I will be using BreakFree CLP and Hoppe's #9 as solvents/lubes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore Guides? Bore Snakes? Bore Brushes? Patches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
drphil
March 18, 2008, 02:27 AM
This is where I get all of my cleaning supplies.

http://www.deweyrods.com/

go_bang
March 18, 2008, 08:56 AM
I can't set you up with links right now, but here is what you will want to search for:

For the Saiga and Mosin you need equipment to fit .30 caliber.

For the Marlin 60 I would not bother with cleaning rods and the like. A .22 caliber boresnake will work just fine.

For patches any basic white cotton 2x2 in will be fine.

One item I would also pick up is a pack of lint-free cotton swabs. If Midway does not have these you can find them at Radio Shack in packs of 100. A drop or two of Breakfree on the end of one of these is great for getting the gunk out of all the tight spots.

As for a cleaner and lube Breakfree is all I have ever used. Works great.

strat81
March 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
Pick up boresnakes in appropriate calibers.
Pick up brass jags in appropriate calibers.
Pick up bronze AND nylon brushes in appropriate calibers.
Pick up a brass loop.
Pick up a coated rod or a brass cleaning rod.

And lots of Q-tips.

rangerruck
March 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
I carry two bore snakes in all my bags, one for dry , and one to put a couple of drops of cleaner on. I also use one piece rods, and segment rod kits, in the various cals I need. Why? If I am going to clean at home, i will use the one piece rod, If i am at the bench, and feel the bore is too dirty, or is coppered up, i will use the segmented rod kit, to do a better cleaning job, than the bore snake. Just be careful with them.

Dynasty
March 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
Would it be wise to get separate bore snakes; one for the AK and one for the Mosin or will one for both be ok?

Wow some cleaning rods are $40...

Dionysusigma
March 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
One will work for both. I use the same bore snake for my .22WRF as my AR-15.

Dynasty
March 20, 2008, 12:49 AM
I keep hearing how bore snakes are not as effective as a rod, brushes, and patches. That being said could someone link me to a cheap and inexpensive rod along with brushes and patches from midwayusa.com?

Savage3006
March 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
I use the cleaning rod at home, but I always carry a bore snake in the field in case I have to give my rifle a quick clean. I also use this small cleaning kit from Otis. Works well and it is tiny.

SSN Vet
March 20, 2008, 11:39 AM
what's wrong with the cleaning kit that comes with the Saiga?

Daemon688
March 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
I own 3 saigas and I have yet to receive the cleaning kit. The best I've got thus far has been the oiler bottless :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore Guides? Bore Snakes? Bore Brushes? Patches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!