My off topic discuission thread was locked.

PDA

Nightwing
March 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
See? That's what I'm talking about. The thread was in the right place to have a a discussion about it. 1 moderator decides they have had enough. They have the final word and the lock the thread.. I would have loved to see how OTHER mods felt about it, and things like that.
Come on guys. lighten up the grip please. I feel like we've got this "DON"T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING WE DON'T LIKE, OR ELSE" attitude around here lately.
This place is so fun and so educational. Please don't just shoot down users ideas so frequently. Please
All due respect intended, once again.

edit: Just received a great message about the Off Topic discussion from TSO. Thanks for the time to tell me the reasons TSO. I really do appreciate it!

If you enjoyed reading about "My off topic discuission thread was locked." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
March 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nightwing, there is a sticky advising everyone that we don't have an off-topic section, and suggesting taking off-topic stuff to APS.

If you looked- which you must have before asking, right?- we have this discussion, in this forum, about once a week. The last thread ("General 'general' discussion" (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=347749)) was created on 14 March 2008, a whopping three days before your thread on the exact same topic.

In your own thread, you were completely answered (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4304273&postcount=9) by Sys Admin Derek Zeanah.

You asked. Were completely (and politely and thoughtfully) answered. Now, if you can think of any good reason why we "should" leave a thread open so we can be asked the same repetitive question, which will always receive some variant of the same answer (and always come in "NO" flavor), let me know.

Regards,

John

average_shooter
March 18, 2008, 03:17 PM
These threads are turning into the updated version of the ".45 vs. 9mm" or "1911 vs. GLOCK" wars.

"yes"
"no"
YES"
"NO"
"YES!!!"
"NO!!!"

:neener::neener:

TexasRifleman
March 18, 2008, 05:18 PM
Over and over again this comes up but we already have an Off Topic area, it's called APS.

Why is that not a perfectly fine solution?

highorder
March 18, 2008, 05:25 PM
edit:

many of the people that post over at APS do not post on THR.

I value the opinions and humor of THR posters.

I don't enjoy reading APS because there are few familiar names, and I dont have any background on the talking heads I do see posting.

Its like a whole different forum with a different crowd.

sm
March 18, 2008, 05:53 PM
Here are the answers to the off topic discussion questions.

1. Thursday is fuss at Moderator day.

2. Colt Agent.

3. KBTN stands for Kick Butt & Take Names.
It does not mean someone had a gun blow up in TN.

4. A way not the way.

5. She pared pears and shot them with a pair of .38spls

6. New Zealand

7. "Did I really shave my legs for this?"

8. Massachusetts.

9. "Walking in Memphis"

10. Drop top Cadillac , razor in shoe, .32 gun in pocket for fun.

sm
March 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
Bonus Question.

The Pillars of the Earth.

highorder
March 20, 2008, 12:28 AM
If this thread's sole purpose was to elicit comedy gold like that from sm...

it was all worth it :)

scout26
March 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
I sure do miss the Mean ol' Mod threads.....

Wait.......today is Thursday !!!!!!

The Mods are mean !!!! :neener::neener::neener:

And here I thought the answer to the bonus question was "Salt of the Earth."

I value the opinions and humor of THR posters.

I don't enjoy reading APS because there are few familiar names, and I dont have any background on the talking heads I do see posting.

Hang out for a while over there and you'll get the lay of the land. And there is quite a bit of overlap in membership between the two boards.

scout26
March 20, 2008, 05:09 PM
Here are the answers for the Techinical Support Forum.

1. Yes, we don't do Avatars, and no, we won't. Even if you ask a million, billion times.

2. You didn't put your Location/State in your BST thread, that's why it disappeared.

3. Posts in BST or Tech Support don't count toward your total. Get over it.

4. Yes, Politics anywhere on the board will get your thread locked. We tried it, it got ugly and and cost us many members who got completely stupid when it came to political discussions. Plus it distracted from the main mission of THR. And NO, it's never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. Yes, even if hell freezes over. Go to APS (Linky-thingy in the upper right corner or each page.) to kvetch about Many Blood Sucking Insects.

5. You want an off-topic area ?? Try APS. It's nothing but off-topic discussions.

6. Yes, we know you've only been here a month and have less then 30 posts. That's why we bow down to you're all-knowing, all-seeing intellect and realize "We're doing it all wrong and we should do things your way." However, being paleo-knuckledraggers, we are just too dumb to change.

7. Still unhappy and want to close your account ?? No problem. Just stop visiting/posting.

8. When you sign in the BST area magically appears.

9. Click the "Remember me" Button or THR will forget about you after ~15 minutes.

10. RTFM, aka the stickies at the top of this forum about Searching, Quoting, Photo's and other Basic info about THR.

Did I miss anything ???

JShirley
March 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hm. Perhaps should be a sticky...

scout26
March 21, 2008, 03:13 PM
Thank you. I'll be here all week and please order the veal.....

Mal H
March 23, 2008, 10:57 PM
Hm. Perhaps should be a sticky...My thought exactly! Hey, wait a second - it already is!! (With a small amount of editing.)

Scout26 - that was funny, priceless, and very useful all at the same time.

scout26
March 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
I am truly honored to have my own sticky......(Not that anyone will read it. *Sigh*)

:rolleyes:;)

Robert Hairless
March 25, 2008, 02:08 AM
I am truly honored to have my own sticky.

And you want us to order the veal, huh?

If you enjoyed reading about "My off topic discuission thread was locked." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!