44 Special questions

PDA

Bowhunter57
March 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
Can 44 Special brass be reloaded in 44 Mag. dies?

I haven't decided on the caliber for my next handgun purchase. :confused: My choices are 45 Long Colt or 44 Mag. What I had in mind to do with the 45 LC was to load 800 to 900 f.p.s. loads for varmints and then load up to 1200+ f.p.s. loads for whitetails, in the fall.

I've never owned/used 44 Special brass/ammo. I have owned 44 Mags, but have never used 44 Spl. in them. I intend to reload for either to attain what I want for hunting purposes.

I have decided on a Ruger, but I haven't decided between a Bisley or a Redhawk. :banghead:

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Special questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ADKWOODSMAN
March 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
RCBS dies are listed as .44 Special/.44 Mag. There is a spacer supplied to use when reloading for .44 Mag. It gives the die the added difference (length) between the Special and the Magnum.

I reload for both with the same dies.

As to your question, the .44 Mag dies would be too long to bell and crimp .44 special brass. Sizing would be O.K.

rcmodel
March 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
No, but .44 Mag can be loaded in .44 Spl. dies. The .44 sizer will size them, but the seater is too long to crimp the .44 Spl.

With .44 Spl. dies it's just a matter of adjusting the die for the longer Mag cases.

Actually, a lot of companies dies are now sold that will work for either caliber if you look around at brands.

rcmodel

Walkalong
March 18, 2008, 05:26 PM
Can't go wrong with a Redhawk. ;)

My pick anyway.

My RCBS dies are marked .44 mag /.44

Fourbits
March 18, 2008, 06:08 PM
I load both with Lee dies. The instructions with the die set tell how to change from 44M to 44 Spl.

Bowhunter57
March 18, 2008, 11:30 PM
Thank you, to all that have replied! :)

I think I'll just use a light load in a 44 Mag. case, as this will eliminate the confusion of different brass, AOL differences, etc. ;)

Walkalong,
I agree with you...the Redhawk is an excellent choice. :D I'll have to do some price shopping and get one.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Sommerled
March 18, 2008, 11:58 PM
Bowhunter,

I load both 44 Mag and 44 Spec with a hornady die set. Works fine.

May I suggest a Redhawk for your right hand and a Bisley for your left?!

Love my Rugers!

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Special questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!