NRA Ad for K98k Mauser Rifles

PDA

Confederate
March 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
I just came across an ad from Mauser for the K98k Mauser rifles, price for the service grade $299. I've never bought a historcal pierce except for an old German Luger, but this looks like a nice piece to collect.

Anyone here bought one of these things? And, if so, can you relate your experience? The initial ad says how great they are and how new and so forth, but when you go online, I see they have various grades, which jack up the price considerably. From just the service rifle aspect, what could I expect by way of quality?

Thanks!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/AAMauser.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Ad for K98k Mauser Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
March 18, 2008, 04:46 PM
Who is the seller?

If it's Mitchells Mausers (and I assume it is) be very careful.

We've had threads on them before, do a search if you want all the gory details.

The general thing with these particular rifles is that they are not "German" in origin really. They are Belgian, Austrian, Czech etc and nearly all of them have been reconditioned at one time or another.

MilsurpShooter
March 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
If it is Mitchells then it's ok if you want a shooter. If you want a History piece with any sort of future value you're better of looking elsewhere like here: http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Vaarok
March 18, 2008, 06:09 PM
Mitchells Mausers are overpriced and disingenuously marketed. Better to purchase elsewhere.

Ash
March 18, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well, the piece will certainly be historic, even if it comes from the slimy Mitchell's Mausers. They are Russian Captures, which means they served in the Soviet invasion, perhaps being present at Kursk, Stalingrad, Leningrad, or other Eastern Front battles. BUT, it is no more valuable than any other Russian Capture K98k.

Ash

Coronach
March 18, 2008, 06:53 PM
No, Mitchel's Mausers takes Yugo mausers and gins them up into Nazi look-alikes.

You can do it yourself for a lot less if you want to create a rifle that just looks like a German K98K.

Mike

dmftoy1
March 18, 2008, 07:05 PM
Actually Mitchell's does K98 Russian captures, and M48's that it labels as "K98 Variants". you have to read the add to see which is which.

(personally I wouldn't buy one unless it was from someone who was selling it cheap. :) )

Have a good one,
Dave

rritter
March 18, 2008, 07:20 PM
Also remember that a "Russian capture" doesn't mean it actually fought against the Soviet Union. Every gun that the Russkies confiscated after the war ended counts as a Russian capture, even if they picked it up on the manufacturing floor of the factory.

CBS220
March 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
Last I checked, weren't Nazi K98s blued?

That bolt looks a wee bit too polished to just be a cleaned up Mauser that was tucked in a crate for the past 60 years.

Hoppy590
March 18, 2008, 07:34 PM
Also remember that a "Russian capture" doesn't mean it actually fought against the Soviet Union. Every gun that the Russkies confiscated after the war ended counts as a Russian capture, even if they picked it up on the manufacturing floor of the factory

i assure you, you will NOT find any "factory floor new" rifles as Russian captures.
most russian captures will come missing lock screws, cleaning rods and other bits the russians scavanged to help meet steel needs.

some of the rifles Mitchells sells ARE real K98's. majority are Yugos. they use very creative marketing using words such as "war dated" "nazi factory" etc.

those shiny, pretty rifles they show are NOT russian captures.

i vote you pick one from Classicarms.us you can pick by dates, seriels, features (cup VS flat buttplate etc)

Confederate
March 18, 2008, 08:31 PM
This has all been very revealing. Thank you for keeping me from making a terrible mistake. Yes, it was Mitchell's. Wonder why the NRA would take ads from such a slimey group?

I really wasn't looking for a shooter, nor was I looking for an investment necessarily. I just thought it would be interesting to have a military issue German gun.

Ash
March 18, 2008, 08:37 PM
The NRA isn't about C&R collecting. I imagine they don't know all that much about what Mitchell's is selling, unless readers have sent letters in complaining about that company. I haven't complained. Anyone else here complained?

Ash

Confederate
March 18, 2008, 08:51 PM
I read some of the posts in a search and read that some people were buying similar guns for $99, which is amazing.

Perhaps I should have asked where I could get a fairly decent WWII era German rifle with markings? Are they still available at a good price, and from a reputable dealer?

MilsurpShooter
March 18, 2008, 08:54 PM
I really wasn't looking for a shooter, nor was I looking for an investment necessarily. I just thought it would be interesting to have a military issue German gun.

No worries Confederate. That was my mindset when I got my very First Gun on my 18th Birthday. It was a Mitchell's Mauser, I was new, and been a history fanatic since I was 5 years old. Saw that add and thought I was getting a K98, expensive lesson learned.

My best advice would be to peruse Classic Arms. Good customer service, decent deals and the descriptions of their rifles are pretty good. Take a look at some of them, se eif any pique your interest, give'em a call and see what happens. And then start pricing a new safe. I started with a M48 and my collection quickly grew to more then 15 rifles in 5 years....... So far lol

Confederate
March 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Jay. Will do.

alamo
March 19, 2008, 12:02 AM
Last I checked, weren't Nazi K98s blued?

That bolt looks a wee bit too polished to just be a cleaned up Mauser that was tucked in a crate for the past 60 years.

They were blued. MM polishes off the black paint or whatever it was the Russians put all over the receiver and bolt & shines them up so the unsuspecting will think that's the way the Germans issued them.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Ad for K98k Mauser Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!