Tracers: OK to use with a suppressor?

PDA

Odnar
March 19, 2008, 07:10 AM
Just curious. (Wish there was a NFA/AOW sub-forum at THR)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tracers: OK to use with a suppressor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
March 19, 2008, 08:11 AM
I can't really think of a reason why they WOULDN'T be, unless you're using a suppressor that has flammable wipes and part of the tracer compound was to separate inside the suppressor and continue burning (and wipes are old technology anyway). Rifle-calibre tracers are almost all going to have a velocity too high to eliminate much of the noise anyway.

Dionysusigma
March 19, 2008, 08:38 AM
Might be a couple of issues... keep in mind that I have no experience with either.

1) Excessive heat inside the can
2) Unreliable ignition due to redirection of gases
3) Sound different
4) SDC's concern of flammability inside the can
5) Too much fun

Just a few I can think of. Try them and see! :)

Zak Smith
March 19, 2008, 01:47 PM
I would be worried about tracer compound slowly coating the inside of the suppressor (round after round) and then starting on fire.

Seafarer12
March 19, 2008, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't fool wit them myself. Tracers are just an accident waiting to happen with or without a suppressor.

jpwilly
March 20, 2008, 02:51 AM
Tracers are really good at starting things on fire down range! The start burning in the bbl and do add soot etc to the bore and also to a suppressor. The point of a suppressed rifle is not to be pinpointed wouldn't a tracer be counterproductive?

mondocomputerman
March 20, 2008, 04:21 AM
"The point of a suppressed rifle is not to be pinpointed wouldn't a tracer be counterproductive?"

Only if the other person was blind.

possum
March 20, 2008, 10:39 AM
yeah the question i have is why would you want too? it defeats the purpose of having the suppresor in the first place.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tracers: OK to use with a suppressor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!