Saiga 5.56 vs. SKS 7.62

PDA

HSBB
March 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
Looking for a cheap, reliable, durable, semi-auto BR and have come down to these two.

Given that I already have a scoped No. 4 Enfield to fill the the .30 cal/long distance/hunting category, I'm leaning towards the 16" Saiga as a SHTF/HD rifle.

http://www.rrarms.com/cat_images/GIZ114.JPG

Barking up the right tree?

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga 5.56 vs. SKS 7.62" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alemonkey
March 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
I hope you are, because that's my choice for my next rifle too. As soon as that bundle of cash I'm hiding from the wife grows big enough. The availability of .223 AK mags is my only concern.

guntotinguy
March 19, 2008, 11:57 PM
I would say so...I really love my Saiga 5.56 for the SHTF senario,but IMO I wouldnt use it for HD,Saiga 12 guage or 410 (for me anyways) instead...Just bought a Yugo SKS and a Russian SKS too,with 2000 rounds 762x39 and plan on seeing how they would 'work into the senario'.

I think your idea of a Saiga is a darned good one...(again my .02)

buckmeister
March 20, 2008, 12:20 AM
The Saiga is one of the less publisized best-buys. Galil, surefire, ProMag (modified/fixed), 5.45 AK-74, and Weiger hi-cap mags will function with the addition of a bullet guide. Saiga-12.com has a wealth of info on this weapon and the mods necessary to keep it 922 compliant. There is even a mod to allow it to accept AR mags! Resist the urge to Tapco-ize it. If you like tacti-cool stocks, go with CAA's M4 stock extension and a US made stock body. There is America wood if you prefer more traditional fare.

I have a 16 incher; Wished I had gone with the 20 inch flavor. Mine will be a Galil-ish clone. I have an IMI Galil/AR mag adapter, G2 FCG, FSE aluminium non-folding krink stock, and real Galil AR handguard waiting for me. I need a Dinzag bullet guide.

...unless I bullpup.

buckmeister

nalioth
March 20, 2008, 12:28 AM
The Saiga is one of the less publisized best-buys. +1 to that!
Galil, surefire, ProMag (modified/fixed), 5.45 AK-74, and Weiger hi-cap mags will function with the addition of a bullet guide. Saiga-12.com has a wealth of info on this weapon and the mods necessary to keep it 922 compliant. Sure Fire polymer mags ( aka Master Molder mags [or vice versa]) are reported to not need any bullet guide (but you'll still have to play the 922r game).

SaMx
March 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
that's correct, surefire has started making magazines for the .223 that don't require a bullet guide.

I believe they are doing it for other calibers too.

rangerruck
March 20, 2008, 01:13 AM
I have 3; a 223. 762r. and 308, all in 16 in bbls. now the 223 is more accurate than the 762, and the poi deviation is much more than the 223 from ammo to ammo, but really , I cannot pick my fave, they are all just so juicy!!!

Ben Shepherd
March 20, 2008, 01:13 AM
1. The saiga will be just a touch lighter and quicker handling than most SKS variants.
2. The avalibility of high cap detachable mags is generally a plus for the siaiga as well.

For me, if I was in your shoes, the deciding factors would two fold.-

Do I have another rifle chambered in either caliber already? Tip toward the one in the same caliber. Family members own a lopsided ratio of one or the other?

Other uses? ie; Do I intend to hunt varmits with a scoped 223 in the future? This tips it toward the saiga.

Don't Tread On Me
March 20, 2008, 06:14 AM
The Saiga will be quite a bit lighter, not just a little. Less bulky, easier to handle. A much more refined firearm. More reliable. Easier to strip. Just a superior design in everyway. If it weren't the AK would have never replaced the SKS. Saiga will be much more accurate.

This question comes up a lot on THR I've noticed. A lot of SKS vs. Saiga. Primarily because both are close to one another price-wise, and both have a good reputation. However, they aren't close at all when it comes down to other factors.

Why is it even a question? Probably because those who are asking have not had the opportunity to handle the Saiga much, especially in direct comparison to an SKS. If they did, it would be a total no-brainer decision.

Saiga.

SSN Vet
March 20, 2008, 11:33 AM
get the

Saiga and you won't be disipointed....

NIB, chrome lined barrel, Kalashnikov action, Domestic "no-conversion-required" high caps available (but you still need one more part to be 922R compliant), rifle is easilly converted for cheap mil. surp Hi Caps, should you feel the need to stock pile a crate of them.

or....

you can buy a 30 round Sure Fire and stuff it into the bottom of your sock drawer as your SHTF contingency plan. Your only viiolating 922R if you stuff it into the rifle......and I doubt enforcing 922R compliance is going to be a top LE priority in such extremes.....as it is hardly one now.

How often do you rattle off 30 rounds at the range? The 10 round stock mag is quite adequate to learn and enjoy the rifle

I like my x39 a lot, and just finished the conversion....as it "spoke to me" shortly after aquiring it, requesting that I set the rifle free to be what it was always intended to be. :p

if you think what you really want is an AK though, I'd also suggest looking into....

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=422

as they're only about ~$90 more than the Saiga.

Unfortunately, the days of the $247 Saigas appear to be over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga 5.56 vs. SKS 7.62" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!