Fair Warning

PDA

Derek Zeanah
March 20, 2008, 08:05 PM
The outages aren't over, but I hope to have them over by the end of the weekend. Here's what I've got lined up: Tomorrow I'll be visiting the datacenter again, to move servers and upgrade a switch. The switch we're on now (a Cisco 2900XL) works fine, but reports it at something like 80% capacity dealing with the 600 packets per second we're seeing. Connectivity will break for something up to a minute.
I'll be moving the old server to the new datacenter tomorrow, and sometime over the weekend I'll get MySQL running on it and will push THR's database over to it. The database transfer should be less than 5 minutes (thanks to the new switch. :) ), but I'll have THR down during that time. I'll also optimize the database while THR is down.That should be it, but it's coming. Now you know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fair Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
March 20, 2008, 08:13 PM
The database transfer should be less than 5 minutes

Famous last words. Man, did you jinx yourself. I can just hear the pagers going off now... :neener:
-

Derek Zeanah
March 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
Heh - well, the good news is that the transfer doesn't touch the source database. Worst case it's a change in the php file that holds settings.

Of course, the way March has been going for me so far, I will be performing a backup first...

If you enjoyed reading about "Fair Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!