Semi-Squib Today!

PDA

Rustynuts
March 20, 2008, 08:05 PM
Shot the last 50 of my last 300-rd reloads. Had one that went "pfft" and didn't cycle. Cleared the gun and luckily the bullet made it out of the barrel. I'm 100% sure (okay maybe not) that I had powder in every brass. Any other reasons for this? I'm guessing it had to have no, or low, powder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Squib Today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
March 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
What caliber? Powder? Bullet weight? Gun?

Rustynuts
March 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
Sorry, forgot all specifics! 230-gr 45 with CCI primers in a Kimber UC CDP II (3"). Should have been about 5.4 gn of Win231. I just figured a squib is a squib, no matter the caliber. Bullet was bulk Hornady round nose FMJ.

Luggernut
March 20, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm not quite sure. I've had 2 of the same experiences. Both were .45ACP, 230 Berrys- one with what was supposed to be 5.2gr of W231 the other with 3.8gr of Clays. Both times the bullet exited barrel. The last one you could hear it hit the cardboard IDPA target as if someone threw the bullet at it.

I use a Powder Cop in my LNL press so I'm not sure what could have happened. Clearly there was some powder as if there wasn't the bullet wouldn't have a prayer of leaving the barrel.

I suspect a light load (not sure how or why) but I'm guessing it had to be about half a load at best. Maybe some powder didn't get pulled into the powder drop and the powder cop appeared to be where it should have been. (Powder COP is just a simple plunger type design). Since the .45ACP cases have so much volume even after the powder... I'm wondering what would happen if all the powder was pushed away from the powder AND a slightly light load? I can absolutely tell you that if you tilt the muzzle upward before firing a shot you WILL get some more velocity- I've seen 25 ft/sec more doing this.

scrat
March 21, 2008, 12:25 AM
for that reason. after i reload i take every bullet i made and shake it to here the powder. Thats all i need to say.

I know by experience

345 DeSoto
March 21, 2008, 08:39 AM
Chances are that if the bullet cleared the barrel, and there was no big mess of powder, then the round didn't have any powder or for some reason, less than a full charge...

Spartacus451
March 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
What press/powder throwing mechanism? I know of several things that can cause a PM to throw inconsistent or light charges. Worn springs and a loose fail-safe rod on a Dillon PM for instance.

You can also lose powder while indexing the shell plate too quickly. The changes in pressure are far from linear when you are at the ends of the useful weight range of a powder/cartridge combination.

Luggernut
March 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
Wow Scrat... I don't think I can hear this in my loads. 231 is what I use. I'll have to try that again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Squib Today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!