.35 Whelen performance or durn tough hog

PDA

ojibweindian
January 12, 2003, 10:03 AM
WOW! No through and through on either shot? Tough hog!

If you enjoyed reading about ".35 Whelen performance or durn tough hog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
January 12, 2003, 12:02 PM
Byron, I dunno how, but this is the second thread in which a post written after yours winds up above your post! (Whatchoo doin', Boy? :D)

Sorry I couldn't hook up with you. Just too beat from too many highway miles.

The woodsrunners down around Blountstown, Florida, generally leave Ol' Biggie alone; shoats to 30 or 40 pounds and hogs to maybe 100 or so are the prime targets. "Aw, leave those biguns to breed..." :)

But those doggone critters are tough. I've seen areas where their rooting around would make a backhoe jealous...

Art

BigG
January 12, 2003, 12:06 PM
Byron, maybe there's something to Elmer Keith's assertion of the large caliber heavy bullet after all.

Next time, maybe take your 458 BRNO! :cool:

Byron Quick
January 12, 2003, 12:12 PM
I was sitting in my stand this past Tuesday when a very large boar trotted past. When he cleared a pine tree, I squeezed off a shot into his ribcage just behind his right shoulder. Range was about sixty yards. He did an immediate U turn back behind the pine tree. When he emerged on the other side, I placed one behind his left shoulder and he went down right there.

I was using Remington CoreLokt 250 grain cartridges.

When I got to the boar, I thought that I had missed one of my shots as there were only two holes in him. On closer examination, I realized that there were two entrance wounds and that the bullets had lodged in the boar's gristle plate.

Then I had to pick up that heavy so and so. If I keep hunting hogs, I'm going to buy a comealong.

cratz2
January 12, 2003, 12:47 PM
I'd tend to think that some of those 350 Gr 45-70s at about 2,000 fps would completely penetrate anything in North America.

Actually, I would have thought that the 35 Whelen CoreLokts would have too. Maybe the 225 Gr Federal Trophy Bondeds would have a better chance of a through and through.

JShirley
January 12, 2003, 03:50 PM
Byron,

About how big was that sucker? 'Bout the same as Al's? I'm also surprised at the performance, but I'll claim it was bullet construction, not caliber.

Gewehr98
January 12, 2003, 04:18 PM
Are they any good for eating? Or are they basically gonna be smoked or sausaged? We got a buttload of the wild piggies down here in Florida, and I've got a spare freezer. I've been wanting to go pig hunting, but I'm told I want a smaller, less gristly porker...

JohnKSa
January 12, 2003, 06:13 PM
I'd tend to think that some of those 350 Gr 45-70s at about 2,000 fps would completely penetrate anything in North America.
The factory Remington 405 grain loading at under 1400fps will almost invariably go through anything in NA unless you try to do an end to end--even then it better be something BIG. I guess to be absolutely sure of getting two holes you could jack it up to 1600fps or so, but anything past that isn't really doing much but flattening the trajectory a bit.

Will Fennell
January 12, 2003, 09:31 PM
Byron,
I was very lucky in my youth that I had access to a couple of Plantations here in SC that had hogs...ALOT of hogs. The folks that owned the plantations wanted me to kill all the hogs I could while I was deer/duck/hog hunting. I quite counting after the first 200. I know Dad counted 'till 600, then quite worrying about it.

So we killed lotsa hogs over those years. What you saw was not uncommon for remington corlokt bullets. I saw the same thing happen on 3[!] hogs with a friends .350 Rem Mag. I lost track of the dozens of cases of bullet failure on hogs that I saw with .243, .270, and .30cal[30/30 .308, 30/06] CorLokt's. Stoke the same rifles with Nosler Partitions, Win Silvertips, Hornaday interlocks, ect. and you've got dead hogs all over the place.

No matter what size[within reason] bullets you are shooting, it needs to hold together well and not expand too much if you wnat penetration on hogs of any size. I think Federal loads the 35 Whelen with a Nosler Partition if I remember correctly....that would be my choice.

BTW, biggest one I every killed[just under 400lbs] was with OO Buckshot....but that was @ contact distance.

Hogs are a bit tougher animals that deer, and the need for tougher bullets really shows up....especially when the get over 250 lbs.

Byron Quick
January 13, 2003, 12:08 AM
John,

The hog was at least a third bigger than Al's. Doug King (the butcher) sees a lot of them and he estimated it at a minimum of 250 lbs. I tend to discount that because I don't think I can pick up a 250 lb hog and put it on my tailgate (I've got about a six inch lift on that truck). The bullets did not fragment and expanded well. Each was nestled up in the gristle plate just short of exiting. Both traversed the ribcage.

Art, I'm still hunting. Ducks, rabbits, and squirrels are everywhere. The property looks like a backhoe has been at it from the hogs. The next small one I get, I'm going to barbecue.

JShirley
January 13, 2003, 01:06 AM
Byron,

From your comments, and Will's, it occurs to me that perhaps Remington is using bullets that were designed to expand at .35 Remington velocities?

JerryN
January 14, 2003, 05:32 PM
I don't see how you can fault Remington Core-Lokt bullets. They've been a top performer for a loooooong time.

I dropped an 800lb moose up in the Northern NH boonies with a 180gr Core-Lokt in .30-06. One shot and he dropped like a train hit him.

Speaking of hawgs, I shot a 200lber up in VT last April with my CVA .50cal Hunterbolt smokepole. I was shooting 150gr of pyrodex behind a 348gr Blackbelt hollow point. That load sure hits hard. I chrono'ed it at 1740fps. It dropped my pig like a sack of rocks.

Al Thompson
January 14, 2003, 07:05 PM
John, don't think so. That small one he got last Wednesday had about 16 + inches of penetration. The meat guy was very impressed with the damage on the big hog. I suspect the bullet just couldn't make it through the gristle pad and skin.

Will Fennell
January 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
Al ol'buddy,
Is this a 35 Whelen you are talking about only getting 16" of penetration on a pig? We aren't talking pistol rounds here.....35 Whelen is a very major caliber rifle.....you should be getting complete penetration on any hog under 400lbs if you are talking chest shots.

30/06[or .308]165 grain partitions leave golf ball size holes out the other side.....:rolleyes:

Al Thompson
January 16, 2003, 08:27 PM
Will, agree that it's a softer bullet than I would want, but I do think if it had been a .35 Remington bullet as John asked, it would have never delivered the 16 ' (+) we saw on the smaller hog.

Most of the feral hogs I've smacked died from a 180 Samson .308 load. Wish I gotten a case when they were available. Great performance from my short barreled .308.

JerryN
January 16, 2003, 10:10 PM
Don't mind me. I'm just a country boy. But it seems like any load that'll stop an 800 lb moose will nearly rip a 400 lb hawg in half.

Pigs are tough, but they are ballerinas compared to the toughness of a moose.

Core-lokts are good bullets.

JShirley
January 16, 2003, 10:15 PM
Al,

Could be deeper penetrating 'cuz of less velocity from the short barrel.

JerryN, "all calibers are not equal", even given the same manufacturer. A .300 WinMag cartridge, for instance, MAY be loaded with the same bullet that a much less powerful .308 fires. Performance would therefore vary.

JerryN
January 16, 2003, 10:22 PM
Well there you go. Sounds like fly fishing for hawgs when you go using a .308 anyway.

It isn't the round in any case. Its the velocity/caliber etc that determines bullet effectiveness. You can't blame Core-Lokt for being a bad bullet in such a situation.

I could shoot a pig with my AR-15 using a little Core-Lokt (if they made one) and erroniously blame the bullet for not dropping the hawg... Thats my only point here.

St. Gunner
January 16, 2003, 10:35 PM
Byron,

Hogs are some strange critters at times. They can soak up bullets like nothing flat and the next one drops like a rock. I carried a .45/70 for awhile with 405gr rem factory fodder and some 300gr XTP handloads, wasn't greatly impressed with either. Same travel distance on average as with a .280 stoked with 150gr corelokts, better blood but they ran just as far. Sometimes close shots don't penetrate, don't ask me why, I had a 5yd shot at a 70lb shoat a couple months ago and the 150gr corelokt was in the offside shoulder, intact, weighed 120grs. The bigger hog in the pic attached below dropped dead as a hammer at 60yds, corelokt took out both front shoulders and exited(he weighs 202lbs dressed) the hog next to him weighed 145lbs dressed and soaked up two lung hits through one shoulder from the .280 and the corelokts and had to be finished with one to the head the first two shots at about 40yds, neither lung hit exited stuck in the shield. They where shot about 20 minutes apart with the same lot of ammo.

I can verify not to use any ballistic tips, had a 150lb boar soak up 7 of the 125gr variety out of a Cetme at about 20yds. None made it through the first side, finally killed him with a headshot.

If you enjoyed reading about ".35 Whelen performance or durn tough hog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!