Is this normal for a Mosin?

PDA

Anteater1717
March 21, 2008, 12:30 AM
Or do I have a cool fluke? I have an M38 Carbine, when I load in a stripper clip, it automatically ejects the clip after the last round is loaded.

I have never seen any Mosin do this before and am wondering if they were designed too. It appears as though the anti double feed is doing it. I'm using Tikka stripper clips if it matters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal for a Mosin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vityaz
March 21, 2008, 07:14 AM
Are you actually putting the stripper clip in the gun when you load it?

KI.W.
March 21, 2008, 08:11 AM
Automacilly ejectin is ok. Mosin Nagant is no Garand

Carl N. Brown
March 21, 2008, 08:16 AM
Are you saying the clip kicks out after the last load strips into the feedway as ..... wait a minute, are you saying you have Mosin stripper clips that actually work in any way shape or manner?

GD
March 21, 2008, 10:59 AM
Uhmm.... The stripper clip is only on the rifle when you are loading the rounds. There is no ejection of the clip. You simply pull the clip away from the receiver after the rounds are in the magazine. The clip does not stay on the rifle.

Vityaz
March 21, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure how it would even chamber rounds if you did manage to fit the stripper clip inside of it...

collateral
March 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
With my mauser and my mosin, when I load all of the rounds into the rifle and push the bolt shut, the stripper clip automatically pops out, is this what you mean?

Either way I don't think it presents a problem.

Cosmoline
March 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
They are indeed supposed to pop out on their own when you cycle the bolt, though owing to variations in stripper design they sometimes don't work as intended and block the bolt. It's usually faster to just yank them out.

Avenger29
March 21, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hey, Cosmoline,

I bought a bunch of stripper clips (the Tikka marked ones from Tickbite Supply) for my 1927 Tula 91/30, and am having much difficulty. They seem to simply fit in too tight in the stripper clip guide, and cause loading difficulties. Is the stripper clip guide just not machined correctly?

Cosmoline
March 21, 2008, 04:21 PM
They don't have to fit all the way in. Are you using this method:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/Stripper.jpg

Mauserguy
March 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
I've seen this happen. The last round in the magazine will pop up, from under the cartridge interupter and push up the stripper clip. Basically, it may indicate that you have a malfunctioning cartridge interupter or your stripper clips are very loose in the clip guides. Both are problems to be fixed.
Mauserguy

Vityaz
March 21, 2008, 04:45 PM
Heh... It would help if I read the original post right.
I don't see why it would be a real problem as long as the rounds chamber right.

Avenger
March 21, 2008, 09:38 PM
I've got some Tikka marked clips that will pop themselves out of the feedway as the last round feeds from the clip. I do have to be pressing the rounds into the magazine fairly briskly, but I can't imagine that I'm driving the ammo into the mag any harder than a soldier under fire would be doing.
I'm pretty sure that the little tiny "fingers" that grip the rimmed portion of the brass are doing this. I'm not sure if it supposed to happen, but since the clip just lands at my feet, I can't see why it would be a problem.

MiddleAgedKen
March 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
Are you saying the clip kicks out after the last load strips into the feedway as ..... wait a minute, are you saying you have Mosin stripper clips that actually work in any way shape or manner?

ROFL

Vaarok
March 22, 2008, 12:06 AM
Mosins also have the jam-the-bolt-forward-and-pop-out-the-clip feature, just like a Mauser or Enfield. Thing is, with the price of clips, best not to do that. Kinda mangles 'em.

icebones
March 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
i knew that mausers ejected the clip, but mosin-nagants? guess you learn something new every day...

rangerruck
March 22, 2008, 01:08 AM
there is a vid on youtube that shows a guy's mosin doing the exact same thing.

Anteater1717
March 22, 2008, 03:38 AM
Are you actually putting the stripper clip in the gun when you load it?
No, it ejects from the stripper clip guides.

i knew that mausers ejected the clip, but mosin-nagants? guess you learn something new every day...

It does it in pretty much that same fashion.

..... wait a minute, are you saying you have Mosin stripper clips that actually work in any way shape or manner?

I use Cosmoline's method works 100%.

Vityaz
March 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
Anteater, I kinda got that after I re-read the first post to figure out why I was feeling stupid. I was thinking you said it ejects after you fire the last round. :)

Hoppy590
March 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
i cant say if ever used the bolt to eject a clip. i tried it with my first mosin, it didnt work like iv done it with mausers, and i didnt want to force it. so i never tried it with any of the rest

if anyone can link me to the youtube video mentioned il be much obliged.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this normal for a Mosin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!