Mossin Nagant M-44 aftermarket "Stuff"

PDA

kd7nqb
March 21, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ok, so tomorrow morning I am buying an M44 I like the M44 but think it can be improved. I want a synthetic stock and a scope mount on it. I found one synthetic stock on Midway, are their other options out there?

Secondly where would I find a good scope mount? I am looking for one that I can install myself.

I know this is kinda like a bubba thing but the Mosin is an $89 rifle so I don't feel too bad plus I am going to keep all my original stuff so I can put it back into original shape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossin Nagant M-44 aftermarket "Stuff"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gord
March 21, 2008, 01:20 AM
If you drill and tap it, it's never going to be able to go back to original shape, so don't kid yourself. You can get a scout mount that mounts to the rear sight base and is removable, but you'll need a long eye relief scope. If you go with a standard drill-and-tap mount in the "normal" spot you'll need to buy a bent bolt (which costs $55+) or bend your own to clear the scope when you cycle it.

As far as stocks, no, the ATI stock is pretty much it, and from what I've heard they're one step above recycled tupperware.

As the maxim goes, why spend $400 making your Mosin tacticool when you may as well just go out and buy a Savage that shoots better to begin with?

EdLaver
March 21, 2008, 01:53 AM
Tac Ninja is right, leave it as is. If you want a scope on your Mosin, buy a 91/30 with the original scope on it already. $399 is the lowest I believe that I have seen them.

kd7nqb
March 21, 2008, 02:00 AM
Alright, I will deal with the wood stock for now. The more I look the less thrilled I am with the idea of a scope anyway.

Mike 56
March 21, 2008, 02:22 AM
http://http://www.mosinparts.com/Other%20Products.htmlhttp:// M44 002.jpg (75.6 KB)Here is a 91/30 with a ATI mount and bolt handle and a M44 with a Darrel scout mount.

Mike

kingjoey
March 21, 2008, 03:30 AM
BTW, we make muzzlebrakes for the M44 and also do bent bolt conversions. We'll have the production version of our scope mount out once we get caught up with our other projects. The bolt handle conversion runs $45 +shipping and is available with different knob options.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/kingjoey/KA%20Stuff/032008006.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/kingjoey/Picture013-3.jpg

SGW42
March 21, 2008, 10:21 AM
As far as stocks, no, the ATI stock is pretty much it, and from what I've heard they're one step above recycled tupperware.

The Gander Mtn. near me has a used M44 on the racks - it's been there for about a year, because it has the camo ATI stock. It's really quite horrible. The entire forearm is warped, so that it juts out an inch to the left and barrel is completely unbedded.

I've seen pictures of other folk's setups and their stocks actually look pretty good, but no way would I order one online sight unseen after looking at that piece.

Vaarok
March 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
Aftermarket stuff on a Mosin is absurd. Get some stripper clips and a sling. Hell, for the money you'd spend on a new stock you could get a second rifle.

offthepaper
March 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Mike56

Are the metal on the front handguards brass? Looks it in the pics, if so, I've never seen that on a MN before.

Cosmoline
March 21, 2008, 01:15 PM
The D&T mounts and bolt conversions look horrible and work poorly. It's like you-know-what on a bull. The best scope mount is Darrell's, available here:

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/116/t/Darrell-s-Scout-Mount-Forum.html

Funderb
March 21, 2008, 01:29 PM
offthepaper:

That's what happens to the "black" ones when you rub them a little

Clipper
March 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
Boyd's makes a wood stock for the M-N, and so does Microfit. The Microfit stocks are available in several different styles and wood grades...

I have a ATI stock on my 91/30, and it works fine. Beware milsurp snobs, man. You will get burned down for doing the smallest thing to the most ragged-out POS on the planet. They have this knee-jerk reaction to anyone who dares to disagree with their inflexible ideas regarding the holiness of milsurps...Go ahead and knock yourself out. Sporterizing milsurps may not be cost-effective, but neither is restoring/hotrodding old cars, yet people do it every day.

Cosmoline
March 21, 2008, 02:42 PM
People wear baggy pants with exposed underwear every day, too. That don't make it smart.

mudslinging79
March 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
i drilled and tapped my $60 mmosin, went with the ati stock and muzzlebreak at one time. eventually git rid of the plastic stock in favor of the wood one, brake came off, no really big difference as far as i can tell, and the scope comes on or off, depending on the mood.

kd7nqb
March 21, 2008, 11:33 PM
Bought the Mosin today and the stock is in MUCH better shape than I ever would have guessed. I am keeping it stock.

Odnar
March 21, 2008, 11:54 PM
I can't speak for the quality of kingjoey's offerings, but I'd stay away from the clamp-on muzzle brakes, unless you enjoy wasting your money. See this thread:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=345751

Mike 56
March 22, 2008, 12:41 AM
offthepaper, No they are not brass but i have seen Mosins with brass on the handguard.

Mike

gbran
March 22, 2008, 01:04 AM
I can't speak for the quality of kingjoey's offerings, but I'd stay away from the clamp-on muzzle brakes, unless you enjoy wasting your money.

I bought one of those clamp-on muzzle brakes. I took it to the range to see if it helped. I also put one of those rubber slip-on butt pads......... any way, after a few shots, I couldn't hit anything and was puzzled. On the last shot, it blew up and launched down range. Some of the pieces came back and broke my glasses, cut and blackened my eye.

The bullets were clipping the inside bore until one dug in enough to tear it apart.

kinjoy's brakes look to be better built.

kingjoey
March 22, 2008, 03:06 AM
Yeah, our brakes are much better built. We don't put anything out without rigorous testing so if something is going to blow up its going to blow up during the R&D phase here, not when a customer is using it. We have NEVER had any of our brakes fail, even our prototypes. For example, we had one of the KA-1230 prototypes get about .004" distortion where the pins were pressed in so we re-drew the prints and had each pin hole located .010" closer to the middle for extra strength just to prevent any possible weakness (BTW, we're still testing the old prototype with the distortion and haven't been able to make the brake fail or even loosen) IMO any brake that is going to "twist-on" or "clamp-on" is going to "blow off" :barf:

PS: Our brakes are also much more precisely made than any of that "twist-on" or "clamp-on" crap. If the muzzle OD on a particular rifle is .550", the ID on our brake is going to be .550"-.551". This precise fit allows us to run tighter tolerances (brake works better) and eliminate the possibility of bullet strikes.

mudslinging79
March 22, 2008, 08:57 PM
ive had one of those brakes that has the 2 screws, well bout 3rd or 4th shot i kicked something on the ground, and it was the brake. turns out the screws broke off flush woth the bottom.
does one notice any difference with your brakes compared to without? the one i has it was neglible either way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossin Nagant M-44 aftermarket "Stuff"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!