Opinions on Kel tec SU 16?

PDA

guajiro
March 21, 2008, 05:36 AM
I used the search option and did not find much in the way of opinions on this rifle. I have spent some time on KTOG and obviously those guys give it the thumbs up. I just wanted some impartial feedback on this interesting rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Kel tec SU 16?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REAPER4206969
March 21, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have one of the very first runs of the Kel-Tec SU-16 Alpha and it has been 100% with every type of .223 Remington and 5.56x45MM NATO ammunition as well as all types, brands and capacity’s of magazines.:)

rangerruck
March 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
the 16 c would be the way to go here; the a and b models have that very stupid front site; easy to see, impossible to adjust right. I have this, but in the PLR mode, and I think it is fantastic. Now then, It is a plinker, and a home defender, it is not a combat rifle, as it has far too much plastic, and it is also then not what I would consider SHTF either, as i think combat/shtf should be the same toughness. Otherwise, they are clean, accurate, and take milspec ar parts as addons.

go_bang
March 21, 2008, 11:00 AM
I would recommend having a look at the lower end of the AR rifle market before you drop cash on an SU. You may find that you can get a basic AR for only $100-200 more. Not knocking the SU, but a low end AR would be better built in a lot of ways.

GunTech
March 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
Agree with go_bang. You can pick up a low end AR for not much more money, and add an customize down the road. There's not much you can do with an SU-16 without serious tools.

The SU-16 is a decent rifle, using the AK gas system, and it is extremely light in weight.

SU-16s are running about $550, versus $700 for a cheap AR.

Here's an SU-16 I converted to 6.8 SPC.

http://guntech.com/keltec/su68.jpg

Versus a couple of ARs I built.

http://guntech.com/m16/m4s.jpg

Trempel
March 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
Unless you live in a state with retarded laws, get an AR. Even if you live in commie land, then get a Mini-14. Kel-Tec has been hit or miss with their product quality. Some of their weapons work fine, while others would be worth more if melted down to raw material.

ChristopherG
March 21, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have an original SU 16, except that I've replaced the original plastic sights from the Alpha (which are $#!t) with the metal sights from the Bravo. If I was going to buy another, it'd be the Charlie.

But, I wouldn't buy another. It's fun to have a lightweight semi-auto .223, but the accuracy is not quite what I expect in a rifle, and the reliability--mine is prone to occasional light strikes and FTE's--more or less rules it out as a serious defensive tool. An AR would be fun and more accurate and, in all likelihood, more reliable. And, I'm gonna end up with one anyway--so I wish I'd started there.

Lobotomy Boy
March 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
I have a PLR-16 and I really like shooting it, but the quality of the gun is somewhat suspect. It works flawlessly when cleaned, but after 300-500 rounds it becomes a jam-a-matic. That might sound like a lot, but you'd be surprised at how fast you can burn through 300 rounds with a gun like this.

The problem is that the tolerances in my gun are too tight and the bolt shaves tiny particles of plastic off the receiver every time I shoot it. This stuff is like sticky dust and is what causes the jamming after a few hundred rounds.

Maybe this will improve after everything beds in, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the gun. I keep it clean and keep plenty of loaded AR mags in the house. In a SHTF scenario, I'd grab my AR and the PLR-16 as a backup because it's the most powerful and accurate handgun I own. But I would never depend on it as my primary weapon in a life-or-death situation. I keep a Glock 21 in my bug-out bag, and if I had to ditch one of the three guns for some reason, the Kel-Tec would be gone.

Organdonor
March 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
I looked at the Kel-Tecs prior to buying my AR this January. Like others said, it's a trunk gun, plinker, or hiking gun.

Kel-Tec is releasing a .22 based on the SU-16 design. I will be buying one of those, especially if they come up with decent mags. Right now I believe they are using the conversion type mags... but how cool would it be if they changed it to accept ruger 10/22 mags?

strat81
March 21, 2008, 01:00 PM
SU-16s are running about $550, versus $700 for a cheap AR.
That's about how much CMMG bargain bin ARs are going for. You can finish AR kits for about that much.

I'd rather get a PLR-16 than the SU-16. I can't carry a loaded rifle (SU-16) with my CHP but the PLR-16 is okay since it is a pistol. I also don't have to fuss with unfolding a PLR.

guajiro
March 22, 2008, 05:06 AM
Unfortunatley I live in California so my detatchable mag choices are somewhat limited. I like the fact that it takes AR magazines and that it is supposedly more acurate than a mini 14.

geronimo13
March 22, 2008, 05:27 AM
You can get the target mini14 which is quite accurate and the saiga in .223 or 7.62X39 or .308 also. I am in calif. also and am quite happy with my su16ca. It is not as battle rifle quality as an ar but hey we cant get ar's without the nonremoveable magazine so ??? The ar will never fold up to 22", or be 4 1/2lbs (light weight). My accuracy is 2-3" @ 100yards scoped and is quite deadly with my cheap ($50) bsa holographic sight (which doesn't weigh anything) on board. It doen't feel like a large spring loaded piston is going back and forth when it fires like the ar either. It is noticably louder with its 16 inch barrel than a 20" ar, and there isn't the near endless amount of modifications that ar possible with the ar. Also the bullet release system for the ar mag making them calif. legal are possibly legal (apparently some have had their weapons returned by law enforcement) so???

Quiet
March 22, 2008, 06:19 AM
My friend's dad owns a Kel-Tec SU-16CA. He liked it so much, he bought another one for his son.

Only thing I heard about them is not to use Wolf ammo in them.

Other than that, they are as accurate and as reliable as the Ruger Mini-14.

Since you live in CA...
If you don't own any pre-ban large capacity AR magazines, you might want to get a RAA Saiga-223 since they are more reliable than and just as accurate as the Ruger Mini-14 & Kel-Tec SU-16CA.

guajiro
March 22, 2008, 06:28 AM
I actually do own large capacity pre ban AR mags. My father owned an AR and sold it back in 98, fortunatley he had a few extra mags that I kept for myself. Question. What is the physical difference between the current run of Bushmaster mags and the ones available back then?

Quiet
March 22, 2008, 06:35 AM
Question. What is the physical difference between the current run of Bushmaster mags and the ones available back then?
Main difference from AR15/M16 magazines made back then to AR15/M16 magazine made now is the magazine follower.

Newer magazine follower is anti-cant, making it feed more reliably than the older style magazine followers.

You can legally purchase the newer followers to repair the older worn-out followers on your old pre-ban magazines. Another upgrade to consider would be replace the magazine springs on your old pre-ban magazines.

However, you can not legally aquire/import into CA large capacity magazines.

GunTech
March 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
Unfortunatley I live in California so my detatchable mag choices are somewhat limited. I like the fact that it takes AR magazines and that it is supposedly more acurate than a mini 14.

And there is a big reason the SU-16 sells. The CA model is perfect for what you need. Accuracy wise the Keltec and the Mini are about the same. But at least you can use AR mags in the Keltec.

You may want to visit the KTOG forum and do some reading. http://www.ktog.org

crazed_ss
March 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
Kel-tec and Mini are the same in accuracy? I might have to spring for a Mini then. I've heard too many stories of reliability problems with SU-16s on calguns.net. Never heard anyone complain about their Mini-14 not working right.

Bigfoot
March 23, 2008, 11:21 AM
Late in 2007 Ruger gave the standard Mini a thicker barrel, finally. It's a MOA gun or close to it now.

The little quirks that cause the SU-16s to be somewhat unreliable are easily and cheaply fixed. Polish the bottom of the bolt, replace the extractor, replace the bolt handle on some models, some of the early magazines sucked. Kel-Tec will do these repairs under warranty for free.

It's a tough choice between the two guns. Lightweight and compact vs. Garand style wood stock. Shoot em both before you decide.

Greenspartan117
March 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
Just build an ar with an off list lower and build it evil featureless, using a monsterman grip, or use a mag lock device, bullet button I or the Prince 50 Kit, that will allow you to go crazy with the evil features like a pistol grip, a vertical fore grip, a flash hider, collapsible stock, etc.

railroader
March 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
http://riflegear.com/c-15-california-legal.aspx Parts for making cali legal ar's. Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Kel tec SU 16?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!