Good deal or no?

PDA

Dynasty
March 21, 2008, 04:23 PM
At the local Dunham's Sport they were selling unissued M38's for $149.99. I did not handle it only looked through the case and it seemed to be in very good condition. On the tag it said it was a carbine of the M44...does that make sense? Is that a good deal I should look into?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dynasty
March 21, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm hoping to handle one tomorrow. Any tips on what I should look at?

MiddleAgedKen
March 21, 2008, 09:58 PM
The M44 is a carbine too, so the tag is a little odd. The difference is that the M38 has no bayonet, nor any provision for one. It's the tanker/artillerist's carbine, is the idea.

If they're really unissued, it might be worth grabbing one. With a good chamber and bore it could probably be made into a good scout rifle. That's what I want to do with mine (minimal bubba-ing, though, I just want to upgrade the sights with minimal surgery and maybe go to a Huber trigger). I got mine at Dunham's a couple of years ago--no claim to be unissued, but it was only $89--no extra charge for the cosmoline. ;)

I wish I could tell you how to tell for certain that it's unissued, but your guess is as good as mine. Better, probably.

offthepaper
March 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
Check the barrel for counter-boring. Pretty much every M38 that I've ever seen has been counter-bored. They did this in an attempt to improve accuracy on a worn barrel and to extend the service life of the rifle. If it's been counter-bored than it certainly is'nt unissued, but possibly rearsenaled. The counter-bore can be checked by removing the bolt, look down the muzzle end. If the rifling does'nt extend to the very end of the muzzle and is smooth for the last 2 inches or so, it's counter-bored, if not, it would be unusual and maybe worth the buy. I have a very clean laminated M38 and half a dozen M44's. The M38 is the only counter-bored rifle I own. It's just what most of them are. The M44's can be found in excellent shape for under $125, but it does have that pigsticker out there. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Good deal or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!