SKS accuracy question

PDA

BUGUDY
March 21, 2008, 07:12 PM
My yugo sks will shoot a 1 to 2" for first 5 rounds, and then they start walking up the paper. Any suggestions as to what would cause this problem.? This is consistent with each time I have shot the gun. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS accuracy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goon
March 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
Heat.

Try letting your rifle cool between shots.

ashtxsniper
March 21, 2008, 07:23 PM
Barrel heating up.

vzenmn
March 21, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have gotten the same thing with several sks's. Great groups with the first 5 rounds then flyers a over the place for the next 5. Just let it cool down like goon said.

RNB65
March 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
Guys who shoot bull barreled bolt-action rifles for accuracy usually try to go a minute or two between shots. The SKS probably has a pretty thin barrel and if you're shooting faster than 1 or 2 rounds per minute heat will definitely become an issue. Remember the old rule of thumb that if you want accuracy you should never let the barrel get too hot to hold your hand on.

I, on the other hand, like to pump rounds thru my AR's as fast as I can until there's smoke pouring out of every opening. I ain't real concerned with accuracy. :D
-

icebones
March 22, 2008, 02:35 AM
does your sks have a bayonet?

or are the handgaurds and/or stock puttin guneven pressure on the barrel?

the sks istn a tackdriver, but walking after just a few shots means something isnt right.

35 Whelen
March 22, 2008, 02:46 AM
This 8 shot group was fired probably in the span a couple of minutes @ 100 yds..
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/YugoSKSWolfAmmoGroups2Red.jpg
I bedded my SKS, maybe you should try that.
35W

BUGUDY
March 22, 2008, 07:15 AM
I believe I will see how to do that. Thats the group I'm looking for.

pdowg881
March 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
I bet those tech sights help a lot too.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS accuracy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!