How's this for starters?

PDA

cbrgator
March 21, 2008, 09:05 PM
Lee Classic Turret Kit (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0044122216337a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=lee+turret&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=lee+turret&noImage=0)

How is this kit?

Is there anything else I would need besides a manual, dies, and bullet components to start reloading?

If you enjoyed reading about "How's this for starters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
March 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
What caliber are you reloading?

For rifle calibers you'll need some way to lube the cases before resizing. For most pistol cases you can buy carbide dies (well worth the price) and not need to lube.

I always recommend a hammer-style bullet puller to beginners. Great for taking apart the mistakes that we all make.

Many reloaders don't like to prime on the press and will use a separate hand primer. Your choice. Lee makes a popular hand primer.

Otherwise you seem all set. Good luck.

cbrgator
March 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
well id like to immediately load 9mm and 30-06, and i plan on adding an ar-15 so 5.56 is in my future as well.

I also found this kit.

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/completerelo/KempfKit.html

Is this kit and the cabelas kit different?

Now knowing the calibers I want, what do I need to add? THANKS A MILLION!

shootinxd
March 21, 2008, 09:56 PM
I just got that exact set-up for xmas.My wife thought it was ready to start pumping out ammo-WRONG.You will need a good reloading book,dies,case trimmer,power extension and some other small items,But its worth it.Have you seen the price of 223 lately.

Grandpa Shooter
March 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
If you are going to reload accurately you will need

a good balance scale, a set of dial calipers, pliers, wrenches, case gauge for each caliber you load to check them for consistency, trays to lay the rifle brass on to lube them, case trimmer, storage bins for the components, notebook for logging in your batch numbers and load data (so you can experiment with powder charges, seating depth, crimp, etc and not lose the data)
Storage for your powders and primers (secure and separate)
Loading bench minimum 2' x 4' attached to a wall or weighted down
Good lighting in the space and on the bench.

The rest you'll figure out as you read your ABC's of Reloading, or the equivalent book by Lee or Hornady.

SASS#23149
March 21, 2008, 10:10 PM
Not the same kit,Kemp's includes dies and other things,Read the ads carefully to see who gives what.
Don't forget safety glasses,primers do go BOOM once in a great while.

cbrgator
March 21, 2008, 10:50 PM
(so you can experiment with powder charges, seating depth, crimp, etc and not lose the data)

Dont the manuals give loading data for that stuff?

Grandpa Shooter
March 21, 2008, 11:13 PM
The loading manuals are like cook books. They tell you the basics. They give a range of settings for depth, powder charge, primers to use, etc. They DO NOT give you all the variations in types of powder in combination with all of the different bullet weights, bases and ogives (shape of the nose of the bullet). Not all firearms in a particular caliber will feed, chamber and extract identically. For instance, my two match Colts in 45 ACP will feed any round nose bullet and 175g LSWC, but will not feed 200g SWC no matter what I do.
I have 6 different 9mm guns and each of them "likes" a different configuration of bullet, seating depth, powder and primer.

Factory ammo tries to please everyones need for food for their gun. The trick to it all is experimenting with all the variables and finding just the "right" one for your gun.

Take your time, ask lots of questions here and read, read, read. Have fun!

cbrgator
March 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
Can you find the specs of factory loads? Or are those company secrets?

RustyFN
March 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
The classic turret is a great press. I have one and load 9mm, 38/357, 223 and just starting 45. I think the better deal is at Kempf's but that's JMO. If you buy it at Kemp's you will want to upgrade to the pro auto disk and the Lg & Sm safety prime. I think you will also need to add the auto disk riser, I don't think that's included. For rifle you will want to add the double disk kit. I would also buy a hammer type bullet puller and a caliper. I would buy a different brand scale than Lee. The Lee is very accurate but not easy to use.
Rusty

Quickdraw McGraw
March 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
The classic turret is a great press. I have one and load 9mm, 38/357, 223 and just starting 45. I think the better deal is at Kempf's but that's JMO. If you buy it at Kemp's you will want to upgrade to the pro auto disk and the Lg & Sm safety prime. I think you will also need to add the auto disk riser, I don't think that's included. For rifle you will want to add the double disk kit. I would also buy a hammer type bullet puller and a caliper. I would buy a different brand scale than Lee. The Lee is very accurate but not easy to use.

Same advice he gave me about a year ago. I followed it and haven't regretted it one iota! I reload 45 acp, 44 mag, 223, 270, and soon 243, 25-06, and 30-06.

10 Spot Terminator
March 22, 2008, 01:13 PM
I suppose you are getting the 4 hole auto indexing model and if so this is a truly great press for the money . I would recommend however not to get it in the kit form so you can upgrade from the standard auto disc powder measure to the pro auto disc measure . It is far more user friendly on throwing consistant powder charges for very little more money. As for the other items in the kit they are all fine but dont need to be Lee components as most all of the major manufacturers make as good or better accessories for reloading . If you are just getting started I highly recommend Lees' reloading manual as a good refference book as it does not lean toward any specific bullet or powder manufacturer and gets right to the hows and whys of just reloading. The book was the best of the first 3 reloading manuals I purchased and read all the way through before I bought any reloading stuff at all . That in itself was a money saver . Hope this helps. 10 Spot.

Quickdraw McGraw
March 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
I suppose you are getting the 4 hole auto indexing model and if so this is a truly great press for the money . I would recommend however not to get it in the kit form so you can upgrade from the standard auto disc powder measure to the pro auto disc measure . It is far more user friendly on throwing consistant powder charges for very little more money. As for the other items in the kit they are all fine but dont need to be Lee components as most all of the major manufacturers make as good or better accessories for reloading . If you are just getting started I highly recommend Lees' reloading manual as a good refference book as it does not lean toward any specific bullet or powder manufacturer and gets right to the hows and whys of just reloading. The book was the best of the first 3 reloading manuals I purchased and read all the way through before I bought any reloading stuff at all . That in itself was a money saver . Hope this helps. 10 Spot.

If you get the kit from Kempf's (link below) for only $11.95 you can upgrade to the PRO AutoDisk Powder Measure. See RustyFN's post.

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/leeprecision/kits/KempfKit.html

If you enjoyed reading about "How's this for starters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!