Where do you buy most of your guns?

PDA

2dogs
January 12, 2003, 08:56 AM
Where do you buy most of your guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you buy most of your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgun_symphony
January 12, 2003, 09:01 AM
Pawnshops

telewinz
January 12, 2003, 09:08 AM
Pawn Shop, large selection of used gun at reasonable prices. At the three other gun shops around here used gun are rare and you have to pay top dollar for them. I believe the reason for used guns being so rare is because the gun shops rip-you-off big time.:cuss:

plateshooter
January 12, 2003, 09:21 AM
I try to give the local dealers as much business as I can, and I don't mind a few dollars difference to help keep them in business, but when they get way out there, I buy at the shows. I haven't had much luck at the pawn shops over the years, they seem to want really high prices where I live.

NewShooter78
January 12, 2003, 09:29 AM
I have to agree about the pawnshop statement. Around here you can find some really nice looking pieces, but the shops want outrageous prices for them. I usually just shop at the gun shops. I get better deals there.

Kentucky Rifle
January 12, 2003, 09:58 AM
They give me good enough deals, plus I now know them personally. Supporting the local gun shop is the right thing for me to do.

KR

ojibweindian
January 12, 2003, 10:19 AM
I usually buy at a gun shop, though I have to admit that the last two of three purchases has been at Wal-Mart.

Greg L
January 12, 2003, 10:27 AM
Gun shop for the new stuff.

C&R for the older stuff. It's nice having UPS/Fed Ex drop your pistols off at the front door. :D

Greg

cratz2
January 12, 2003, 11:08 AM
I'm about half and half between gun shops and private sales.

Airwolf
January 12, 2003, 11:13 AM
Local gunshops. I strongly believe in doing whatever you can to keep them going (especially in the DPRK!).

One is a chain (Turners) the other 2 we use are small, single location shops. I believe in spreading the $$$ around as much as possible.

Bulk ammo and accessories are mostly purchased on-line.

New_comer
January 12, 2003, 11:49 AM
It's most practical for brand-new purchases here be done during a gunshow.

A 10-20% discount is the norm... ;)

Although a good second-hand bargain could be found sometimes in our local second-hand market.

But in both cases, a lot of patience is mandatory :(

WhoKnowsWho
January 12, 2003, 05:00 PM
I've actually spread it around pretty well.

My first at a high priced gun shop I will never buy from again.
Second from a small mainly online dealer but located locally.
My wife got her gun at a show.
Wal-Mart
Another better dealer
A sporting goods store
Another different dealer
Yet another dealer
And one more dealer
And then I got my Makarov at a show yesterday.

ruger357
January 12, 2003, 05:22 PM
I usually go to the same gun shop.

GoldenLoki
January 12, 2003, 05:51 PM
Gun Shops. Better prices than gun shows or pawn shops, much more convenient than chasing down person to person deals.

Note #1. some of the "shops" are several states away, via the internet and a C&R FFL.

Note #2 all the guns I have sold were private transactions, pretty much the only way to get a fair return.

GL

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 08:14 PM
I try to buy from the same shop(outdoorsman) or online from martin b. retting in the PRK.Most of the pawn shops in my area are well overpriced,SS GP-100 well used for 450.00:what: but i did spot a S&W 12-2 that looked unfired in the box for $275.00 that i could not pass up.

10-Ring
January 12, 2003, 08:40 PM
All gun sales (new or private party) have to go through a dealer, so my answer is "through a gun shop"

10-Ring
January 12, 2003, 08:42 PM
All gun sales (new or private party) have to go through a dealer, so my answer is "through a gun shop"

Blackhawk
January 12, 2003, 09:04 PM
Gun shop.

I know them, they know me.

I like the service and extras, and I don't mind paying a bit more. Guns are some of the cheaper aspects of the sport of shooting.

Blackhawk
January 12, 2003, 09:05 PM
Gun shop.

I know them, they know me.

I like the service and extras, and I don't mind paying a bit more. Guns are some of the cheaper aspects of the sport of shooting.

Zundfolge
January 12, 2003, 10:53 PM
I like buying mine out of the trunk of some guy's car behind a seedy bar in the bad part of town.

:neener:

for the humor impaired; the above is just a joke ... jerk

Bostonterrier97
January 13, 2003, 12:38 AM
I bought mine from Sarah Brady

dave
January 13, 2003, 02:44 AM
After many years of dealing with several gun shop owners who were "jerks", I finally found a great place. It's a small gun shop (owner, one clerk, one gunsmith) about twenty miles from here.

The owner is a good guy. He tries to help everyone and always has a smile on his face. It seems that his gun shop isn't just a "busniess", it's the way he lives. He likes to swap stories with us and doesn't mind us sitting around swapping stories with each other. He is always happy to spend time with "newbies" and if he can't get what you want, he'll tell you you can. He treats everyone who comes in as if they were a long time friend.

He isn't worried about making a million dollars, just as long as he has enough to have a "nice" living, he's happy. His mark-up is fair and he charges $20.00 for a FFL transfer, sometimes less if he knows the buyer is short on cash. He knows about guns and is happy to share that knowledge.

Because of the way he treats his customers, I now shop nowhere else. Everytime I enter the shop, if even only for a few minutes, I buy something. I feel it's the least I can do to help him stay in busniess. Shouldn't worry though, found out the other day that he does as much "busniess" as both the other "big" gun shops in town, put together. Wonder why?

And yes, there is such a place. As I said, it took me many years to find it. Seems the other two gun shop owners don't think much of him. They feel he "steals" their busniess from them. Had one wven tell me, "Man, you go in there and you can't even tell who runs the place. It's like a bunch of guys sitting around shooting the bull. I hear he sells a lot of guns, wonder how?".

Yeah, I wonder how. And no sir, I'm not going to tell you where he is. Somethings one keeps to one's self.

rick458
January 13, 2003, 03:06 AM
I buy from gun shops Mainly Marburgers the prices are reasonable, the transfers are $40.00 the selection is awesome for a little place, and the guys are nice and not full of BS like some other places I have gone.
I had an FFL for a while but UPS kept leaving pistols on my porch
I don't need stolen guns under my name on my conscience.
:uhoh:

Maddock
January 13, 2003, 03:15 AM
For me it works out to about two thirds from a single shop with the remainder split between custom smiths and private parties.
I don't buy from people I don't know, at least by reputation.

Duke of Lawnchair
January 13, 2003, 04:08 AM
The majority of my firearms have been purchased at gunshops whose owners I know and trust. Prices are good, not the greatest and certainly not the worst. I frequent these shops because they have always treated me right, and I reciprocate likewise.

Although I'm the customer and the customer is always right, if they have done me right and accidentally screw up, I won't bite their heads off for it. Kind of reminds me of a story that a friend of mine told me, how her mother would nag & complain at a restaurant. Like I said, the customer is always right, BUT if your food server wants to get the last laugh in, trust me, they WILL.

I allow honest mistakes to slide. If they are within reason, then they receive my money. However, I won't stammer and burn my bridges.

Duke of Lawnchair
January 13, 2003, 04:12 AM
The majority of my firearms have been purchased at gunshops whose owners I know and trust. Prices are good, not the greatest and certainly not the worst. I frequent these shops because they have always treated me right, and I reciprocate likewise.

Although I'm the customer and the customer is always right, if they have done me right and accidentally screw up, I won't bite their heads off for it. Kind of reminds me of a story that a friend of mine told me, how her mother would nag & complain at a restaurant. Like I said, the customer is always right, BUT if your food server wants to get the last laugh in, trust me, they WILL.

I allow honest mistakes to slide. If they are within reason, then they receive my money. However, I won't stammer and burn my bridges.

Schuey2002
January 25, 2003, 06:52 AM
Most of my purchases have been at local gunshops ..

Recently, I've dropped some coin on a few internet sites as well,such as Young's Guns in Cookeville,TN.. :)

Kahr carrier
January 25, 2003, 08:11 AM
Gunshops like Traders.:D

Mike Irwin
January 25, 2003, 02:31 PM
Still gun shows, but I've been buying more and more on-line lately. Have yet to have a bad experience with an on-line purchase.

coonan357
January 25, 2003, 02:36 PM
Actually at "the Gun Shop " in Plainfield Il
http://www.gunshopinc.com/

P.S. You owe me one John .

mdsteele
January 25, 2003, 11:01 PM
The "Gunrack" in Walkertown NC. Bill has the best prices around.

chaim
January 25, 2003, 11:11 PM
All but three of my handguns were bought directly at local gunshops. One was bought at a gunshow but the vendor was a local gunshop and one was bought from Auctionarms and transfered through a gunshop. My black powder revolver was from Bass Pro Shops.

All but one of my long guns was bought somewhere other than a gunshop. I got my SKS from a gunshop. I've bought two from Walmart, one from Kmart (before I heard about the boycott), one from a sporting goods store and I don't remember if the first one was from a sporting goods store or Walmart (it was one of the two, but since I can't remember which it isn't in the Walmart or sporting goods store totals). I plan to buy a few from local gun shops in the next year or so though since most that I want right now can't be found at most sporting goods stores or Walmarts around here.

cheygriz
January 25, 2003, 11:12 PM
My gun club has an FFL. I buy most o my guns through the club.

seeker_two
January 25, 2003, 11:24 PM
Local gun shops who treat you well. I've been lucky to do business w/ the following:

Buffalo Sporting Goods--Buffalo TX
Burdett & Sons--College Station TX
Praco Gun & Pawn--Waco TX
Hewitt Guns--Hewitt TX

Guns & ammo there may cost a little more than the big chains, shows, or online auctions, but the personal service, conversation, & advice you receive (even if you don't buy that day) is more than worth it...

PATH
January 25, 2003, 11:27 PM
I have purchased most of my firearms in gunshops. I believe in supporting the little guy especially when I work there!;)

FPrice
January 25, 2003, 11:36 PM
I buy most of my guns at my local gun dealer. He is a bit high (Heck! All of Massachusetts is high!) but what he gets is in good shape, he knows what I like, and he helps in many ways. I can trust him for a square deal.

MountainPeak
January 25, 2003, 11:40 PM
Voted gun shows, but I buy from private collections and gun shop owners at the shows. I usually go to 5 or 6 shows a year. If I had the time, I would go to any and all in my state every year. Sometimes the prices are out of line at shows, but I still find that "gem in the rough" once in a while. I enjoy the atmosphere at shows and learning from experts and laughing at "wanna be" experts. Pretty easy to tell the difference!;)

kalibear45
January 26, 2003, 06:36 AM
I've done some private party transfers via internet ads

3 gun
January 26, 2003, 08:29 AM
About the only place I haven't bought a gun from is a pawnshop. Not many deal in guns around here the couple that do think it's LNIB price wise. I'll buy from whoever has what I want at a price I'm willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay extra for private sales. That being said, I've used each choice almost evenly in filling my safe.

Cosmoline
January 26, 2003, 02:36 PM
When I find a gun store with good customer service, good prices and a good selection, I patronize it as much as possible. Even if this means paying $50 or $100 more for a rifle than I would on line. To me it's worth it to have the resource there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do you buy most of your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!