March 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
My Father is wanting to get a M16 clone, Is there a company that sells one, Like they/you carried in Vietnam?

If you enjoyed reading about "M16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
March 22, 2008, 02:47 PM
No not if he wants a full automatic new. He could get a pre 86 (?) for multi thousand dollars and a 200 $ tax stamp. Go regulators for making a few folks rich. Lots and lots of companies make AR15 semi automatic clones.

March 22, 2008, 02:49 PM

There are many different ones to choose from there.

March 22, 2008, 02:57 PM
Take your pick:


There are plenty of others but these 5 are usually considered the cream of the crop.

March 22, 2008, 03:10 PM
Everything I am seeing has the round forearm, He's looking for a exact replica. No rails, Smooth triangular forearm, No forward assist. I can't/don't see one.

March 22, 2008, 03:13 PM
Guys, let's all assume we're looking for a semi without Da Switch...

I know you can get 'em without the FA, and then it's just a matter of hunting down the stock furniture.

What kind of flash suppressor is he looking for? Open or closed in the front?

March 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
Search for an old Colt SP-1. Gunbroker would probably be your best bet for that. They look just like what you are describing.

See what I mean:

March 22, 2008, 03:17 PM
You're not going to find a new gun without a forward assist. Even the Army quickly figured out how dumb that was and quickly changed to the M16A1 with the FA in Nam. You'll probably have to look far and wide to find a used AR upper with no FA - gunshows, internet auction sites, folks that specialize in older AR's.

I think the original triangular forearm can be purchased as an aftermarket item and installed. Some of the manufactures may offer it as an option. Contact them by phone or e-mail and ask if they have the original forearm available.

March 22, 2008, 03:23 PM
Plenty of them out there.
Just bring your Big checkbook!






March 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
There have been -some- models made without a FA fairly recently - I think that Bushy made one... Dunno about the handle/rear sight configuration tho...

March 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
It's not too difficult to find an A1 style upper, CMMG has a retro 20" A1 style with the triangular handguards. A pre-A1 style "slicksides" upper may be more difficult to locate, but they're out there.

Probably he'll need to get a complete lower and then find the appropriate upper.

March 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
That's more like it, I don't think the FA is as important to him as the forearm, Grip and stock is. It's the over all look he waits.Thanks guys, I knew you, awesome, Gun loving mo-fos would get him to where he wants to go.

March 22, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Rods,

I was looking for the same thing, and I ran across this:


Triangular furniture, no forward assist. Hope this helps.


March 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
We're always glad to help a fellow gunnie out Rods :)

March 22, 2008, 07:55 PM
The one from Fulton is very nice.

The lower has the fence around the mag release but it's otherwise a nice retro look for a decent price.

March 22, 2008, 09:22 PM

This place makes the best US AK receivers (imho) and are doing some retro AR stuff now. I don't see a lot of uppers with the charging handle inside the carry handle.

March 23, 2008, 07:55 AM
About forward assist.
In 67 I was issued a M16 without FA, in late 68 I was swapped out for a new one with FA. Depending one when you served in Nam, either could be correct.

March 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
I don't see a lot of uppers with the charging handle inside the carry handle.That's because there weren't any AR-15 or M-16's made that way.

The one with the charger inside the carry handle was the early AR10 .308.

The early Armalite AR-15, or later Colt M-16 was never made that way.


If you enjoyed reading about "M16" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!