Converted Saiga or Yugo AK?

PDA

Dynasty
March 23, 2008, 01:35 AM
The difference in price is about $35-$55 between the two AK rifles. The Yugo is more, but the work of the Saiga conversion may not seem worth it to some. So really what it comes down to is the chrome barrel of the Saiga. Does the chrome barrel alone make it the obvious choice over the Yugo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Converted Saiga or Yugo AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xplicitfire
March 23, 2008, 01:44 AM
I say get the Yugo. If your going to spend all that money might as well dish out the difference and get the AK. You would be spending more money on the conversion alone then what the difference was on the 2 rifles

nalioth
March 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
If your going to spend all that money might as well dish out the difference and get the AK After conversion, the Saiga is -for all intents and purposes- a Kalashnikov.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a converted Saiga from AIM Surplus or similar at the price points he makes.

Monkeybear
March 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
Get the Yugo. Its a great AK and there are no more being made. You can always get a Saiga later, if you want.

bogie
March 23, 2008, 02:46 AM
People chrome barrels because they think it is still 1965...

Quiet
March 23, 2008, 04:56 AM
Get the Saiga, it's made on the same machinery and by the same people who make real AKs for the Russian government.

The Yugo on the other had is made from a surplus parts kit that someone put together.

Unless, you are talking about one the Mitchell Arms Yugo AKs imported in the 80s. Those were excellent quality AKs, not like the Yugo parts guns available today.

possum
March 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
the saigas are nice, but the yugo ak's imho are some of the best out there and they are well worth the money. i would go with the yugo.

Starship1st
March 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
If you are not in to conversions then buy the Yugo. But the Saigas are also crome lined barrels. Ultimately you will weigh all the pros and cons and will decide what is best for you. Good luck!:cool:

hso
March 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
The converted Saigas are good. The Yugos are good. The Yugos use thicker sheet metal for the receiver, but in all truth none of the AKs in the AK course my wife and I took ever had a hiccup (and there majority of them were cheap Romacs).

rangerruck
March 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
yes, it is far more accurate than you will know, plus once you put in the anit slap back, anti pain , tapco g2 trigger, you really won't wonder why any more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Converted Saiga or Yugo AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!