Since we're discussing deployment money

PDA

Aaryq
March 23, 2008, 07:21 PM
Howdy folks. Since we're talking about deployment money in a different thread, and I'm not a threadjacker (most of the time), I have a similar question and not trying to steal someone's thunder. Here's the situation, after being over my head in debt that I generated as a young newly married man, my collection has been small and cheap. Now that I've paid off most of my debt (and my re-enlistment bonus will take care of the rest making me 100% debt free, only paying overhead bills like insurance and the sort), and I'm being promised orders out of PRK and to NC, I want to SPLURGE! So THR, I humbly throw myself before you to help me make a decision as to which .308 rifle I should buy.

The criteria are simple. Semi-Automatic, .308/7.62x51 NATO, capable of accepting Hi-cap mags, Irons only with the possibility to throw some glass on it at a later date, and it needs give the Brady Bunch and the Honorable Ms Pelosi nightmares because it's so evil. I'm willing to put as much as 2500 on it.

The Choices are:
CETME
FN FAL
SA M1A (I don't know which one yet)
Other (please elaborate)

If you enjoyed reading about "Since we're discussing deployment money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
March 23, 2008, 08:28 PM
Buy a FAL from DSA and spend the rest on ammo.

I got their G1 clone last year and it's a lot of fun. Very EEEEvil and scary looking :)

Problem with x51 is it won't be long until the ammo costs more than the gun :(

http://homepage.mac.com/jayc67/G1.jpg

MudPuppy
March 23, 2008, 08:41 PM
A lot of folks report issues with CETMEs--I have one and love it, but I'd handle one first as the ergonomics on it are like an ugly baby (takes a bit of getting used to and has to be "yours" to not notice). But look at the PTR series of HK clones. And a 22lr kit to go with it!

That's a heck of nice looking FAL there too.

volfandan
March 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
I have to go +1 with Texas on this:

I have a Century L1A1, and LOVE it. I know, I know....it's a Century. It didn't work right out of the box. Luckily for me, the dealer had a retired DCPD captain who was an armorer that worked with him.

His specialty: 1911's and FAL's. He tweaked something, which cost me NOTHING....and it has flawlessly functioned with any mag or ammo. I really trust it enough to trust my life to it.

I have an "excellent" condition Imbel Kit that I'm going to have my gunsmith build for me on an Enterprise receiver.....of course before November 2008.:D

Bottom line:

From what I've heard on the JLD Enterprise's PTR-91....you just can't go wrong.

Obviously a SA M1A is good as gold.

DSA or Enterprise for a FAL would be my suggestion.....but with any of these three you just can't go wrong.

TexasRifleman
March 23, 2008, 10:53 PM
PTR91 is sure tempting, I agree.

CDNN has them for $899. That would leave a LOT for ammo.

10-Ring
March 23, 2008, 11:00 PM
My vote is w/ the M1A ;) I once had a HK 91 which is what the PTR 91 and as much as I miss that rifle, I have enjoyed shooting the M1A alot more plus, even in CA, it's still relatively easy to find parts and is still CA-friendly w/o serious mods

LongRangeInternational
March 23, 2008, 11:11 PM
How much accuracy do you want? I'd recommend a FAL unless you want to do some hunting long range with it. Then I'd say the DPMS TAC20 20" .308 AR. The wind and plains of NoDak are no joke.

rbernie
March 24, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'm partial to the FAL moreso than the CETME, primarily based upon ergonomics and manual-of-arms. If you want something different, why not look at a Tromix Saiga 308 sidefolder with HK sights? It's cheaper than a FAL para, and it's got a good pedigree.

Having said all of that - of the choices in my safe, I almost always reach for an AR10 if I want to shoot a 7.62x51 semiauto.

Wes Janson
March 24, 2008, 12:56 AM
Get an M1A or a DSA FAL. CETME/HK ergos suck, as much as I hate to say it. The AR10 is a nice platform, but generally speaking doesn't seem as likely to be reliable as either the M1A or FAL.

If you enjoyed reading about "Since we're discussing deployment money" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!