Marlin XL7 Bolt Action Rifle

PDA

Schleprok62
March 24, 2008, 02:02 AM
I was at my local gun shop today and saw something I thought I'd never see. A BOLT ACTION Marlin (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/XL7.aspx)!! Looks suspiciously like a Savage, with the outer locknut design and the Accu-trigger style trigger safety. HMMmm :scrutiny:

For under $300!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone had the chance to shoot one of these yet?? Any "real-world" reviews??

I did a search and came up with every Marlin BUT this one...

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin XL7 Bolt Action Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rust collector
March 24, 2008, 02:15 AM
Just read about them in Shooting Times. It was said to be a nice rifle that never caught on a couple years ago. They are now producing the MR-7, a rifle specifically built for a relatively low price point.

You may want to google it for more information, but Marlin has made a lot of well-regarded guns over the years.

lite-box
March 24, 2008, 06:45 AM
The MR-7 is the older Marlin from a few years ago, nice rifles and all... being a cross of the best features of the Rem 700 and Win 70 . You don't see many for sale...

Schleprok62
March 24, 2008, 09:56 AM
This is a current production rifle and new for this year...

theCZ
March 24, 2008, 10:09 AM
I saw one at a show and talked to the Marlin Rep. They have a barrel nut like a savage, a trigger that resembles an accu-trigger, a 3 position safety (I think, it was awhile ago), and a push feed action. Other details are fuzzy, but I remember thinking it ought to do well since it's so inexpensive. I really liked the barrel nut, I wish more guns would have 'em.

Colt46
March 24, 2008, 10:53 AM
Internally it is quite different from what I recall. I like the price and was impressed at the lines of the rifle. Good looking for having a synthetic stock.
If only they'd offer one in 6.5..............

jesse485
March 24, 2008, 10:56 AM
If only they'd offer one in 6.5..............
Yeah, but if they have the Savage barrel nut, it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish that.

jpwilly
March 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
^^^ Right it claims to be a unique design but the trigger is not an accutrigger although is could be similar and do similar things.

Here the link to Marlin centerfire Bolt Actions Rifles (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/default.aspx)

rust collector
March 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yep, I got my 7s mixed up. The MR 7 went out of production after 3 years, the XL7 is the new kid on the block. Sounds like a winner, but they all do if they're an advertiser. Screamin' deal if they are accurate or can be made so.

I don't know why 7 is a recurring theme in bolt action rifles, but this continues the trend.

If it turns out well, we will have to mount a write-in campaign to do a run of 6.5x55s.

Schleprok62
March 24, 2008, 04:24 PM
Well, they have one in a .270 over at the Gun Store, I'm considering putting on layaway till payday... If I do, will have full range report shortly thereafter...

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin XL7 Bolt Action Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!