My *evil black rifle* that happens to be a ruger 10/22

PDA

BlisteringSilence
March 25, 2008, 02:44 AM
To start off with, don't hate the playa, hate the game. I decided to build this particular rifle for giggles, and it's turned into a great bit of fun. Something a little different from cleaning old springfields and turning them back into parade rifles in Grandpa's basement. Not to mention, it'd really make Hillary piss the bed, and that makes me grin.

This sucker started life as a stock carbine from Academy.

It looked just like this:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/13L.jpg

A few parts, and a terrible wait later, it looks like this:

http://files.myopera.com/BlisteringSilence/albums/496973/photo4.jpg

http://files.myopera.com/BlisteringSilence/albums/496973/photo8.jpg

http://files.myopera.com/BlisteringSilence/albums/496973/photo6.jpg

And it's principle shooter.

http://files.myopera.com/BlisteringSilence/albums/496973/photo3.jpg

Questions? Comments? Statements of appreciation? Statements of disbelief? Gripes or Complaints?

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the pictures. My digital camera's on the blink, so I had to resort to iPhone.

If you enjoyed reading about "My *evil black rifle* that happens to be a ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobarino
March 25, 2008, 02:48 AM
that is one of the sickest, most fantastic looking 10/22's i've ever seen! no gripes or complaints from me but a retractable stock would make it even more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiil. great looking rifle!!

Bobby

Prince Yamato
March 25, 2008, 02:50 AM
Now that you have a sweet looking varmit rifle, you can finally shoot that pesky cat that stepped into your photo!

Just kidding... it's a good looking rifle. :D

chris in va
March 25, 2008, 02:54 AM
I can't believe you can buy all that stuff for a 10/22. Amazing.

BlisteringSilence
March 25, 2008, 03:02 AM
Bobby,

I thought about a retractable stock for it, but decided against it. I want the accuracy of a fixed stock, and I've still never really met an adjustable one that I liked.

Chris,

To be fair, the only parts on that rifle that are specific to the 10/22 are the reciever assembly, the stock, and the barrel. Everything else is designed for an AR.

The stock is this:

Nordic Components (http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=412&products_id=1383&osCsid=7588447fa334ee85ad1a9899c04336a6)

It takes a standard AR freefloat handguard (one piece only), pistol grip, buttstock, and any accessory that you can stick to a rail.

This sucker will mainly be thinning my squirrel population, and decimating various cans and fruits. Though, I am looking forward to getting her out on the range. In my experience, she should shoot solid .35" groups out to 50 yards with no problems. The only issue I'd run into beyond that is that the scope is only a 2x aimpoint, and my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

madcratebuilder
March 25, 2008, 07:24 AM
That sure makes a nice looking rifle, I have a box full of AR parts....

Bill2e
March 25, 2008, 07:33 AM
Very Nice, Cheap to shoot too!

chupacabrah
March 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
wow that looks great!

I might have to add something like this to my "to do" list

qwert65
March 25, 2008, 08:08 AM
Very nice!

Organdonor
March 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
I love the Nordic stuff. I sometimes contemplate rigging my 10/22 that way... but then I add it all up, and realize that for the same price I could buy a new 10/22 AND an AR-15!

TheGrimReaper
March 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
Now that is AWSOME!!! I love it man.

Auburn1992
March 25, 2008, 10:51 AM
Ha, funny, you have a badass rifle... and then a cat:neener:

ZombiesAhead
March 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
Not my cup of tea, but I'm all about making politicians mad. (by the way, I'll bet Barack would be steaming even more than Clinton :what:)

Auburn1992
March 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
Keep the fixed stock don't go collapsible!:barf:

Darthbauer
March 25, 2008, 11:20 AM
About how much was spent to make it look like that? If you dont mind me asking.

strat81
March 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Won't someone please think of the children!?!?!

Sweet rifle.

41magsnub
March 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
That looks both sick and wrong.. well done!

jlbraun
March 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
How accurate is it?

xMetal
March 25, 2008, 01:21 PM
I love it. My brother has a 10/22 and it is a ton of fun to shoot. I thought about getting one and doing something similar, but ultimately got lazy and just bought an AR. :)

Nice work though, that's a great looking little rifle. It'll be good for fending off the zombie squirrels.

Mr White
March 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
That looks like the kind of rifle that could kill puppies, kittens, bunnies, babies and nuns just with looks alone!

Is there anything from the original 10/22 still left on the gun?

I AM thinking of the children. My youngest child in particular would LOVE that gun. He turns 12 in November, I should probably start building mine now.

Bazooka Joe71
March 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
Wow.

rocinante
March 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
Pretty wild. You can get a bullpup setup and even a MG42 disguise for your 10/22. You definitely have a one of a kind there. kudos.

BlazingAngel01
March 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
That looks great and your Cat looks really mad.

vzenmn
March 25, 2008, 07:09 PM
Yet another evil rifle with no other purpose other to stain the streets with the blood of innocent dogs by the paws of a barbaric feline.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THINK ABOUT THE PUPPIES?

That is the best looking Evil Black Wabbit Rifle I've seen. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

jhco
March 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
very cool i want to get an mp5 kit for mine

Stevie-Ray
March 25, 2008, 08:14 PM
What kind of groups does the cat get?

Eightball
March 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
Mmmmm, nice job. One of the few black 10/22s that doesn't look....."special".

spyderdude
March 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
That's a nicely done rifle, I like it! :)

Bazooka Joe71
March 25, 2008, 09:24 PM
How much was that rifle after it was all said and done? Not much less than an AR15 with a .22lr upper was it?

It does look very nice, BTW.

BlisteringSilence
March 25, 2008, 10:33 PM
OK, thanks for all the kind words guys. I appreciate it. Lemmie try to clear up some questions.

First off, I don't know how she shoots, as I haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet. That being said, in my experience, this combination of reciever, trigger assembly, and barrel, will shoot ~.35" groups at 50 yards. I LOVE Whistle Pig Barrels.

Next, let's break down the costs:

Ruger 10/22 carbine from Academy Sports: $149
Nordic Components AR22 Stock: $225
ACE skeleton buttstock: $60
Whistle Pig barrel: $200
Various bits in the trigger assembly and reciever I replace to make her shoot better: $50
Yankee Machine free float foregrip: Free (already had it)
Harris Bipod: Free (already had it)
Erog pistol grip: Free (already had it)
Aimpoint 2x red dot and scope ring: $60 (already had the scope, but got a different ring for it)

I'm kind of a 10/22 fanatic. This is my 4th one, though my first *EBR* styled one. Two are bench rest guns (and each of them easily cost more than a fully tricked out AR), and one lives in my boat, loaded with snake shot. That last one's not so pretty. But she gets the job done.

As to whether there's anything original still on it, the answer is yes. The trigger housing, trigger, sear, hammer, bolt, extractor, and reciever are all original parts. Everything else has been swapped out. And those parts that are still there have had my special touches applied to them.

Honestly, I do this more for the fun of building it and playing with it than anything practical. I have enough practical guns. This one's for fun. I can hardly wait to take it out to the range, so the pissed off wanna-be wildlife officer will flip out and yell at me for bringing a machine gun onto his range. God I hate that guy. He's just a dick. But I digress.

The sum total is that if you have a bunch of AR parts laying around, and a 10/22, you can do this thing for the cost of this stock and a barrel. I bought a new 10/22 only because Academy had them on sale. My other three came from pawn shops for less than $100 each.

And the barrel's the one thing on a 10/22 worth spending SERIOUS money on. Well, serious for a .22 anyway. I highly endorse Whistle Pig barrels. They're the top of the line as far as I'm concerned. This is my 4th one, and I have nothing but good things to say for any of them.

Not to mention, this thing looks so much better than all those crappy $75 "tacticool" folding stocks you can get from midway, etc. And it FEELS solid. Tim at Nordic Components really outdid himself this time. The tolerances are perfect, and the sucker feels "right." Not cheap.

Anyway, squirrels beware. I'm coming.

BlisteringSilence
March 25, 2008, 10:38 PM
very cool i want to get an mp5 kit for mine

I've not ever seen an mp5 kit. That doesn't mean there's not one out there, I've just never seen it. One of the badassed stock makers could likely modify an airsoft mp5 stock though.

Or you could just wait for a GSG-5. Like I am. Still. On the list. Waiting. For the phone call.

Tylden
March 25, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hillary Clinton says, "Shame on you BlisteringSilence !! Shame on you !!"

Well done, Sir !

VirgilCaine
March 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
It looks like a blaster from Star Wars.

A cool one.

Good for you!

Kitchen_Duty
March 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
I'm astonished that you would ever build an assault weapon! Did you ever think that atrocity could be used for hunting? Hunting is all that you are given a right to do. That evil device is only designed for spraying bullets and killing innocent... oh hell all varmints should die :)

If it wasn't so darn expensive, I would build one too... but I want a .223 bolt gun.... anyone have a savage 10fp for sale for cheap?? :)

-Kitchen

smullen
March 26, 2008, 02:35 AM
Props on a Nice Build!!!!

I love my 10/22... So much I've considered building another....

yongxingfreesty
March 26, 2008, 02:54 AM
that actually looks good. job well done, very nice.

BlisteringSilence
March 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
Again, thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate it.

Now, I just have to decide what I want to do with my next 10/22. I found a great deal in a pawn shop this morning, and it has a silver reciever. I've got a pair of bench rest, and this squirrel mauler, so I just have to decide what direction I want to go.

Bones11b
March 26, 2008, 07:46 PM
Wow, very nice. I'm still working on rounding out my collection of must have guns. Yet once I'm done with the "serious" toys will definately be building some "fun guns" like yours. Once again because it bears repeating; wow, very nice.

Afy
March 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
What kind of groups are you getting?

You mention .35 inch groups... those you could get with a CZ 452 and Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex amo out of the box at 50 yards...
Yes the rifle looks very cool. Agree with that... but please excuse me. I dont get it....

transformerguru
March 26, 2008, 08:00 PM
killer!!! might have to do that *writes on the list of builds to do* oh man it will be a while:p

JohnMc
March 26, 2008, 08:25 PM
Taking that sweet, innocent-looking, PC, "hunter's gun" and turning it into that hideous thing of evil* can only be the work of an evil super genius. Nice!

* for any bliss-ninnies that may read this, it's looks only, no real difference in function.

BlisteringSilence
March 27, 2008, 12:57 PM
What kind of groups are you getting?

You mention .35 inch groups... those you could get with a CZ 452 and Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex amo out of the box at 50 yards...
Yes the rifle looks very cool. Agree with that... but please excuse me. I dont get it....

There's nothing to get. It's a rifle. I will make anti's upset. I fully intent to get a stock ruger 10/22, one identical to the one I used to build it, and take the pair everywhere. Point to them, and tell everyone that it's exactly the same rifle. One just looks more evil.

Oh yeah, and patrol the mall parking lot for ninjas. That too.:rolleyes:

This is what I like to do. I had fun. As soon as I shoot it, I'll be able to give you a better idea of what the groupings are. What I gave above was an estimate, based on past experience.

Also, my gun is an autoloader. The 452 you mentioned is a bolt action. It's inherently more accurate. My 17/22 is more accuate than both of them. So what? If I was building a rifle sheerly for accuracy, I wouldn't have gone down this particular road.

There is no point to get. No more than a fool who pays $75,000+ for a H&H double rifle. I wanted it, I made it. I'm happy.

Bazooka Joe71
April 4, 2008, 05:04 PM
Or you could just wait for a GSG-5. Like I am. Still. On the list. Waiting. For the phone call.

How much are they going to run?

mio
April 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
i love it

azhunter12
April 4, 2008, 07:42 PM
I thought it was an ar at first

DoubleTapDrew
April 4, 2008, 07:44 PM
I usually think the EBR'd 10/22's are horribly ugly (and I like 10/22s) but I actually like that one a lot!
Good caption for a poster featuring someone handing that plinker to a sad looking child who hasn't gotten any trigger time yet :)

Zak Smith
April 4, 2008, 07:44 PM
Me too! These are fun!

http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/smaller/D462_5594_img.jpg (http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/?small=D462_5594_img.jpg)
............... Larger version of above photo. (http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/?small=D462_5594_img.jpg)
http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/smaller/D462_5437_img.jpg (http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/?small=D462_5437_img.jpg)
............... Larger version of above photo. (http://demigodllc.com/photo/Nordic-AR22-Action/?small=D462_5437_img.jpg)

Atla
April 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've always been a fan of the MG42 conversion for a ruger 10/22 myself!

SturmTrooper
August 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
i like the nordic kits, i myself have made a 10/22 trainer but it's a German G36c copy pretty nice though here's a pic of it http://i36.tinypic.com/2k520m.jpg

thegooch
August 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
How much did it cost in total?

SturmTrooper
August 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
what one the nordic or the g36c

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 15, 2008, 06:51 PM
Looks pretty schweet. :)

Got a picture of it from the side, with a 30 round mag in?

THE MACHINIST
August 15, 2008, 11:20 PM
wheres the bayonet????? sweet rifle

guntotinguy
August 15, 2008, 11:24 PM
I was stunned at the complete transformation...awesome gun...

kcmarine
August 15, 2008, 11:56 PM
I see a new lolcats picture in the making...

twofourthree73
August 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
10/22's are fun rifles. That looks like as much fun as you could have with one.

SturmTrooper
August 16, 2008, 01:15 PM
i dont know if you guys are talking to me or not but i have other pics of it i just have to upload them, prob will later

kcmarine
August 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
Oh yes. I went there.

Jacka L Ope
August 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
Nice work! http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/lakcaJLOpe/thumbs.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "My *evil black rifle* that happens to be a ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!