Storing rifles: muzzle down or muzzle up?

PDA

jakemccoy
March 25, 2008, 04:32 AM
Just a passing thought, it's nothing deep. However, you're welcome to make it deep if you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing rifles: muzzle down or muzzle up?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Afy
March 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
mine are stored on their side

CZguy
March 25, 2008, 09:42 AM
Mine are stored muzzle up in a safe, and that as deep as I care to go on this. :D

joebogey
March 25, 2008, 09:48 AM
Up and down.
Whatever makes them all fit in the safe.
As for deep....all the way to the back.

ftierson
March 25, 2008, 01:16 PM
Unless you really slobber gun oil all over your rifle and it has a wood stock, there's no particular reason to store it muzzle down. If you do, there is...

Except for a few rifles displayed horizontallly on a rack, mine are stored muzzle up in a safe...

Forrest

Cosmoline
March 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not aware of any problems either way. Mine are in sacks on their sides in a horizontal safe. Rifles aren't like wine bottles, at least AFAIK

hksw
March 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
I store them both ways like jb. All of the guns I have in safes are arranged to maximize capacity so the long guns are yin yanged. They are, though, all in gun socks to prevent dinging between them.

CZguy
March 25, 2008, 01:43 PM
I store them both ways like jb. All of the guns I have in safes are arranged to maximize capacity so the long guns are yin yanged. They are, though, all in gun socks to prevent dinging between them.

I would hate to see your sock drawer. :D:D

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
March 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
if you store them muzzle up you are less likely to damage your barrel if you slip while picking it up. imagine dropping your new .778 chayupa magnum international right on the end of the barrel on the edge of your safe!!! not good for the accuracy or the safe. now imagine dropping it on the butt, seems less cringe worthy.

that is why i keep them laying out on the floor so they can't fall :rolleyes:

jakemccoy
March 25, 2008, 07:47 PM
I started this poll expecting different results. Now, I have to think about why I'm the oddball...lol

I store my long guns muzzle down because they're all loaded (not just Rule #1, but actually). I feel uncomfortable reaching for and handling a loaded rifle that's resting in the muzzle up position. Plus, my long guns lean against the back wall of my safe more stably in the muzzle down position. I thought about the issue of possible muzzle damage, but decided it's not much of an issue in my system. Further, my shotguns are pumps. A loaded pump shotgun that’s muzzle down seems safer because the weight of the forend (with bolt closed) is directed toward the muzzle where it should be.

Buzzbox
March 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
I store my rifles muzzle up. many with muzzle guards.

I have read that match shooting practice is hanging rifles by the sling, muzzle down. Not resting it on the muzzle.

3pairs12
March 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
mine are muzzle up for no particular reason other than fitting them all in the safe

jhco
March 25, 2008, 07:56 PM
plus 1 from 3pairs12

Green Lantern
March 25, 2008, 08:09 PM
Both. For proper Feng Shui...and to make 'em all fit. ;)

jpwilly
March 25, 2008, 08:11 PM
Mine are up...

Auburn1992
March 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
I must ask, why are they all loaded?

jakemccoy
March 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
^They're all loaded because all my guns are for use. ;)

I have only four long guns. Depending on my mood, any of my long guns may get propped up next to me before I go to sleep. There is no loading and unloading involved on a nightly basis...cheers. Also, I don't have to worry about loading up whichever gun for the random, dangerous stray dog/predator outside...Yeehaw.

If you enjoyed reading about "Storing rifles: muzzle down or muzzle up?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!