I found out the hard way with 50-90 dies

PDA

Eric F
March 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
So I was going to prime size and bell my cases yesterday and load them tomorrow, I have the laymen die set. I followed the directiond right to the letter got the size and deprime set up got the expander and followed the directions ran a case in so I can set the bell and it went in a bit stiff so I bring it down and the case is wrinkled beyond repair

What went wrong? It took me a few minutes to figure out that they gave me a 50-70 expanding die the instructions said to screw the die in until it touches the shell holde,r how wrong! I had to unscrew the die about an inch or so but I did get it working.

Has any one else see this problem before?

If you enjoyed reading about "I found out the hard way with 50-90 dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ranger335v
March 25, 2008, 10:39 AM
No. But that illustrates the truth that it's more important to know what our tools are supposed to do and how to do it than it is to blindly follow a set of instructions. Sadly, getting the experience to understand often costs us a few pieces of brass!

Eric F
March 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
I have up until now only delt with lee dies and its never been a problem, even their directions are a bit vague from time to time but Laymen has a great set of instructions I wish they had a comment about the diffrence in position for 50-90 and 50-70.

entropy
March 25, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have the laymen die set

Try the Clergy die set, it's holier :p Seriously, I do like Lyman stuff.

You'd think they'd include some sort of spacer for the two different rounds, like for .38/.357.

Eric F
March 25, 2008, 07:03 PM
ok I admit I never noticed how they spelled their name , My goof. I made a few calls today and discovered that Lyman does in fact not make a 50-90 specific expander die it is a 50-70 die. They do not include documentation in their direction book let for this. The RCBS dies do make 50-90 specific dies. so now I am down 1 peice of brass bummer.

If you enjoyed reading about "I found out the hard way with 50-90 dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!