M1 Garand

PDA

MustangHowie
March 25, 2008, 08:40 AM
My M1 Garand arrived from CMP Monday. Ammo will be here Friday.:D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/MustangHowie/M1Garand.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
March 25, 2008, 08:49 AM
They are all things of beauty.

kamagong
March 25, 2008, 11:33 AM
Congrats. Is that a field grade?

MustangHowie
March 25, 2008, 12:27 PM
It is a service grade. It just has that one bad spot above the trigger. Nice bore though.

Nugilum
March 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
When did you order your goodie? My order is approaching 60 days... :banghead:

MustangHowie
March 25, 2008, 12:46 PM
January 8th is when I sent the order.

Nugilum
March 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
Quick! Someone give me patience!! :banghead: :fire: :banghead: :fire: :banghead: :fire:

I'm three weeks behind you...

Breathe... breathe... :(

Let us know how it shoots!

MustangHowie
March 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
You may get it soon. I ordered right after the rush of carbine orders. They are probably caught up now.

Ratzinger_p38
March 25, 2008, 01:18 PM
Whats the date on the barrel? And what is the receiver serial range?
Looks like, from the pic, you got lucky and got a narrow sight base gas cylinder. Wonder what oprod you have?

Also looks like your stock could use a steam bath (to get rid of the dents). It all looks like a decent color/shade match though.

Mr White
March 25, 2008, 02:03 PM
Nice rifle MustangHowie.

I think I've heard of your wife, Sally. :)

dmftoy1
March 25, 2008, 02:13 PM
Nice looking gun . ..I need to get mine out and shoot it. :)

BlazingAngel01
March 25, 2008, 02:18 PM
I have to Re-Barrel mine but your looks really good.

MustangHowie
March 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ratzinger;

Serial # 310XXXX.

Where are the #s on the barrel? S-A-6-52 ?

Charging handle has 7790722 SA.

Ratzinger_p38
March 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ah you have a re-barreled rifle, so it should be a good shooter. My Garand has an original barrel but its pretty worn out. S-A-6-52 is Springfield Armory June 1952. And the oprod was replaced in the rebuild as well.

Green Lantern
March 25, 2008, 07:29 PM
Congrats!

I'm due in about 2 more weeks or so, I think! :D :D :D

oneshooter
March 25, 2008, 08:02 PM
Now then, it is important that youbecome one with the rifle. When you sit down it will be beside you, when you walk (rairly} it will be with you. When you turn out the lights it will be beside you!

Learn it , remove the stock, trigger assembly, barrel, sling , op rod, and gas system. Now turn off the lights and reassemble by touch! WOW!! Wasn't that FUN!!!!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

PS did you order any clips? It's a heck of a lot more fun shooting with them.

jhco
March 25, 2008, 08:05 PM
beautiful i wish i had one too

Buzzbox
March 25, 2008, 08:06 PM
Ping!

sublimaze41
March 25, 2008, 08:16 PM
Nice! I love the wood. Just think, each of those dings on the stock could tell a story. Weird or not that gives me the chills.

That rifle could have been in Bastone or just guarding a water supply in England as a lend lease.

transformerguru
March 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
nice rifle I remember when I got mine... oh that was just November, lol. Garands are like Mosins though one is never enough, I'm saving to get another.

johnnyonthespot
March 26, 2008, 01:51 AM
fantastic rifle mustang howie...

congrats...

when are you gonna pop off some rounds?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75089&stc=1&d=1206276253

shootr
March 26, 2008, 02:26 AM
Those are some puurty Garands!!! Gets me all tingly inside!

MustangHowie
March 26, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ratzinger;
Thanks for the info.

I have a case of ammo on clips in bandoliers landing Friday. I hope the weather is nice this weekend.

joewill
March 26, 2008, 01:58 PM
[ Quote]Ah you have a re-barreled rifle, so it should be a good shooter. My Garand has an original barrel but its pretty worn out. S-A-6-52 is Springfield Armory June 1952. And the oprod was replaced in the rebuild as well.[Quote]

M1s that were overhauled at major depots and arsenals in the 60s usually have marking on the right receiver leg, engraved with an electric pencil, which indicate the overhaul facility and date of overhaul. Your rifle could have also seen several unmarked overhauls. While your 6-52 barrel could have been installed in the 60s it is more likely that it was probably installed during an earlier overhaul. As far as the operating rod, 7790722 is an early 1960s replacement rod. Alot of these rods could also have the NM (National Match) marking. They were also used for replacements in service rifles as many more than necessary for N.M. rifles seem to have been manufactured.
It is just a guess as to when the op rod was installed. It may have even been installed by CMP.

BigGunsMoreFun
March 26, 2008, 07:24 PM
I love those old Garands. I own 3 myself. One of mine was rebarreled for .308. I'm also working on a nice little collection of M1 Carbines. I have the IBM and the Underwood. The National Postal Meter is on the way.

I bought my Garands from CMP years ago and managed to get some decent ones. The Carbines I bought from private sellers. The one's I've seen from CMP don't impress me much and they are way over priced. :(

At any rate, the M1 Garand is a fine rifle if cleaned and maintained properly. Even if the barrel is a little (or more than a little) worn, you can definitely put every round in a 10" circle at 100 yards with one once you get the feel for your gun.;)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Let's have a range report once you've had it out a couple of times.

Molon Labe,
Joe
:D

jrfoxx
March 27, 2008, 03:48 AM
nice wood.Mine was a field grade Greek return, so the wood was a much lighter color, and the upper handguard didnt match (I gather the Greeks replaced our original stocks with new ones made there at some point on most of the guns we loaned them), as it was even lighter. I like the coloring of the ones with the original USGI stocks WAY better, as thats just how I picture Garands looking, so I stripped and stained mine to try to get it as close as I could.Didnt really come out like I hoped, as it doesnt really look like the USGI color still, but it does look a lot nicer than it did, so no biggie.Someday I'll probly just get a replacement original stock for it, as the parkerizing on mine is really VERY good still everywhere except the last 2" or so at the muzzle, so it should look great with a new stock.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jrfoxx/M1.jpg

dscottw88
March 27, 2008, 02:10 PM
How does it work? you send them all the info and then they do a back round check in 60 days and send it overnight? no ffl involved?

kamagong
March 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
Fill out the paperwork and requirements. Drop it in the mail with a check. CMP does the background check themselves, so no FFL. 60-90 days later you'll have your Garand delivered to your front door. I'ts pretty simple really.

Green Lantern
April 5, 2008, 11:14 PM
60-90 days....or LESS, even, mayyyybe...

It was about the 14th that I got the e-mail saying that had got my stuff and checked everything out.

Today I got an e-mail with tracking #s for my ammo. None of the links are in FedEx's system yet, I guess 'cause it's Saturday? And my card has been charged for the ammo AND for the rifle as well...so I'm assuming that's on the way soon? :D

*kicks self for not picking up .30Cal Boresnake on Thursday - I really thought it'd be longer coming!*

MustangHowie
April 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
You should have everything by next Friday. I got my Email on a Friday and the Rifle landed Monday and the ammo landed Friday after that.

I still need to get out and shoot mine. Maybe I will today.

GRIZ22
April 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
Even if the barrel is a little (or more than a little) worn, you can definitely put every round in a 10" circle at 100 yards with one once you get the feel for your gun.

That would be pretty poor performance for a Garand. I am not the best rifle shot in the world and do much netter than that with my CMP Garands (3 SG, 1 FG). Using Greek CMP ammo all the high serial number Garands I have shoot 2" at 100 if I do my part. I have a 1942 receiver with a Danish VAR barrel (Field Grade) that does 1 1/2".

All of my Garands have some mixing of parts which does nothing to accuracy if they are assembled correctly which they are at CMP.

brooks
April 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
I was out to the range and was really disappointed with my groups using CMP ammo. When I used my hand loads, my confidence returned.

Don't re-barrel until you find it shooting poorly with good ammo.

GarandOwner
April 6, 2008, 03:50 PM
I hear everytime someone gets a garand, an angel gets its wings

USA, your missing a bam ;)

latisimusd
April 6, 2008, 04:27 PM
My first Garand and my 2nd order is supposed to be here next week (H&R service grade).
Springfield "44" receiver, no rust or pitting to speak of on any of the parts, and has a new Danish barrel, and it is just starting to break in, I'm quite amazed by the iron sight accuracy for a military semi-auto that such an old design.
Some pics of my baby (not pretty, but man it can throw a 150gr bullet really well).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garand002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garand001.jpg:D:D:D

Threeband
April 6, 2008, 10:17 PM
Nice looking Service Grade! You're lucky to have gotten both a WWII receiver AND a USGI stock. A lot of the service grades are coming with replacement stocks made of birch. They're made by Boyds, but worked over by DuPage, or so the rumor says.

Seems like the guys who really want a new stock get an old one, and if you REALLY want an old stock, you'll get a new one. Anyway, you really can't go wrong with the CMP. If you don't like the one they send you, you can turn around the next day and sell it for a 50% mark up and order another.

I couldn't decide if I wanted a Correct Grade or a Service Grade, so I got both. I wanted a nasty old GI stock to restore, so of course I got the replacement. But I'm really starting to like it. I really can't chose between them.

Here they are. They just came last Thursday, April 3. Correct above, Service below:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk22/Dreiband/8da3ba08.jpg?t=1207534410

highorder
April 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
wow, thats nice wood on the SG! With some TLC and BLO, you can get it to look like this:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/highorder/tbwm1.jpg

41magsnub
April 6, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm going insane waiting for mine, watching folks who ordered after I did get theirs before me. The rifle has been processing for over a week, ammo showed up a long time ago.

ougunnut
April 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
Here is mine. I just shot it today the 1st time. It has a Kreiger Criterion chrome lined .308 barrel. I shot several 2" 5-shot groups today with my handloads using Hornady 150gr FMJBT bullets.
It is not CMP I got it from garand guy. All the parts and reciever are USGI though.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_2929.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_2931.jpg

MustangHowie
April 7, 2008, 08:24 AM
I finaly got out to shoot mine. I only put one clip through it, but wow. I would have shot more but I was in my back yard and the neihbors have not complained yet, but I don't want to push it too far. I do shoot a lot of .22 back there.
I think I need to order another case of ammo.
I can't wait for some nice weather and some time to spend with it.

futureranger
April 7, 2008, 05:24 PM
hey really rice rifles, so how do all you guys with the great looking stocks refinish them to look so good? my Garand has some dings in the stock so when i sanded, refinished and polished the stock the ding really showed, i donít want to sand all of them out cause that would take off a LOT of wood. Is there any way to get them out and save the two stamps on it?

johnnyonthespot
April 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
hey future, I dont have the link but there is a good page about the ole dishwasher stock refinishing technique... the guy says he has done dozens of rifles in the dishwasher and he puts duct tape over the cartouches to keep them intact...

I wanted to refinish my garand judging from pictures... but once i bought it and held it... there is no way i would alter those "beautymarks" on my gun...

but from time to time one needs some work... if thats the case i wouldnt be afraid of the dishwasher technique...

... but if you are... the diehards swear by the wet rag and hot iron steaming technique... but dont hold it on for too long!

i think the dishwasher sounds safer...

may even tighten the lockup.

Dr. Peter Venkman
April 7, 2008, 05:39 PM
This is 100 yards off of a couple of sandbags and surplus Korean 30-06:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/WiseBobo/IMG_0011.jpg

I have a seven-shot group on my door that was much more tight; don't ask me where the eighth shot went. I screwed it up! :cuss:

It's a 1943 SA receiver; not sure what the rest of the stuff means. If I disassembled it into the three main parts and I read the stuff off the barrel, could you tell me what it all means? I also have other high-res photos of it but I'm not sure where they are.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/WiseBobo/P1010039-1.jpg

Threeband
April 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
Dr. Venkman,

You have some beautiful and interesting rifles there! That SMLE No.1Mk III* third-from-left looks like a nicer-than-average example. Your Garand looks nice too. Even in this photo I can see some post-war improvements, such as the rear sight and the "high-hump" gas tube lock.

Most M1s were refurbished and rebuilt at least once, some several times. In the process, barrels were replaced and parts from different rifles were mixed up. You could have a Springfield (SA) receiver from 1943 and a Harrington & Richardson (HRA) bolt from 1955, along with a 1954 International Harvester (IH) trigger group and a 1944 Winchester (WRA) operating rod. The barrel might be dated 1965. Probably most old US rifles are Mixmasters. Makes 'em interesting.

Here's a good little article that can get you started:

How to Evaluate an M1
http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/Evaluate.html

Good M1 info here:

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/

And here's wonderful and accessable site devoted to the M1

http://www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/index.html

futureranger
April 8, 2008, 08:21 PM
Johnny, thanks for the info, i found the other thread, my Garand is from the CMP and just this weekend i went shooting and was able to get a nice 4 round group of 1.5" with cheap cmp surplus ammo, it normaly keeps around 2" or so but i must have goten lucky, what other types of ammo could preform better? my garand HATES anything over 150 grains im talking about 4-6" groups

Green Lantern
April 8, 2008, 11:17 PM
Dangit...I'm starting to get "antsy" now. Dunno how many times I've checked the Estore website today. :D My ammo is due tomorrow, but the rifle is still "TBD."

Green Lantern
April 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
*bump*

Got my ammo!

It's not like I didn't NEED the exercise, and it was most interesting to see the amount of abuse an el-cheapo $20 "survival" knife can take...

But after finally winning the fight, I figure there's gotta be a BETTER way to get that Spam Can open! ;)

So at first I jiggled with the little 'key' thing and it snapped off. "Well, great, I broke it" I think. This is where the knife and an improvised hammer came in.

I asked a family member this evening (wearing a bandolier as a 'trophy' at the time :p )...so, apparently the key is SUPPOSED to be broken off - then jabbed in and twisted in order to open the can up?

johnnyonthespot
April 9, 2008, 09:48 PM
dont ever buy a big ham in a can or any spam grn lantern...

its a good feeling having unopened cans of ammo...

what do you suppose would happen to a can of 240 rds of 30-06
if it burned in a house fire?

i bet my neighbors would be PISSED...

assuming they would still be alive...

sublimaze41
April 9, 2008, 09:58 PM
I an awaiting arrival of mine from CMP.

Thanks for making my wait more tolerable :scrutiny:

Nice gun. I love the dings on the stock, gives it character. Ever wonder what the history is behind each nick and scratch??

TexasRifleman
April 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
what do you suppose would happen to a can of 240 rds of 30-06
if it burned in a house fire?

i bet my neighbors would be PISSED...

assuming they would still be alive...

Actually not a lot happens. There's some noise and of course if you were right next to it you might get wounded but with no chamber to hold the pressures and aim them in one direction the bullet just kinda pops out and that's it.

Pretty anticlimactic really as demonstrated once by an IPSC shooter friend of mine who is also the fire chief of a small west Texas town. He put on a demo to show an ammo fire. Kinda boring in the end :) Which is probably a good thing.

Green Lantern
April 9, 2008, 10:09 PM
dont ever buy a big ham in a can or any spam grn lantern...

Heh...:D Hm, LITERAL Spam cans tend to be much more cooperative with me...

I did get some cans to save for a 'rainy day,' I just opened the one to get some ammo and clips for when my Garand arrives.

As for cook-offs in a house fire - I had heard that the only real danger would be in guns with chambered rounds...that loose ammo wouldn't be able to send bullets flying too far without the aid of a rifled barrel...? :confused:

MustangHowie
April 10, 2008, 08:49 AM
Nice gun. I love the dings on the stock, gives it character. Ever wonder what the history is behind each nick and scratch??

Mine is a Service Grade, the stock has dings and dents but it has an excellent bore and everything else is in great shape.

My first thoughts when I opened the box and saw it were about the history behind the stock marks. I will not refinish the stock for that reason. It is a part of history.

Schleprok62
April 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
Nice addition MustangHowie... some nice pics in this thread... thanks all for sharing...

Now, if I can trade off my first born... whoops... :D

MustangHowie
April 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
I ordered another case of ammo for it. Should be good weather this weekend.

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, tink. Repeat...

Green Lantern
April 12, 2008, 11:41 PM
SooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooo...

'Bout how long after being charged does it usually take for them to ship the rifle? I don't really mind waiting, but I was sorta thinking that they didn't bill the card till they were ready to ship?

And, any recommended accessories to pick up? Ammo, as you'll recall, is a go. I also got web sling, and a Bore Snake. I have 'choke tube lube' I picked a while back that I use on my P3AT sometimes, will that pass for 'grease?'

*opens up can o' worms* Or is greasing really needed with all the more 'modern' lubes out there?

Recommended cleaners/lubes? I usually use CLP on everything (except the greasing on the P3AT)

-I want a bayonet too, is Fulton Armory about the best place to get one (don't think I can spring the $$$ for an authentic one)

-Is one of the 'combo tools' worth having? The SurplusRifle guy was saying it was handy just for the gas system screwdriver.

libertynews
April 13, 2008, 12:01 AM
Here's my October 1943 Service Grade (re-barreled in 1965)

http://gallery.libertynews.org/d/1243-2/m1garand.jpg

Shoots great, I can hit the metal gong at the range off-hand at 200 yards.

Swampy
April 13, 2008, 06:24 AM
*opens up can o' worms* Or is greasing really needed with all the more 'modern' lubes out there?

Yes.... the M1 needs GREASE to consistently run properly. It does not matter how "modern" an oil type preservative is, it's not a grease which is what the M1 needs for lubrication of moving parts.

If it makes you feel better to use something "modern".... use a "modern" grease.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

dmftoy1
April 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
'Bout how long after being charged does it usually take for them to ship the rifle? I don't really mind waiting, but I was sorta thinking that they didn't bill the card till they were ready to ship?

Typically your credit card getting hit is a good indicator that you're going to receive a rifle in 4-5 days. IF they're getting hammered with orders then I've had it take 2 1/2 weeks from the time the credit card was hit until the rifle arrived. (They received 9000 orders if I remember right for the M1 Carbines in 24 hours)

FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave

Green Lantern
April 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
Savvy - I'd always heard that grease was needed by the vast majority of owners, so I was counting on it.

dm - thanks! Yeah, they are getting Carbine orders out the wazoo at the moment as I understand! :what:

ETA - FYI, rifle orders dated 4/1/08 are now shipping! :D

Green Lantern
April 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
WOOO-HOOO!!!! :D

H&R Service Grade!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/KyleFayar/100_9743.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/KyleFayar/100_9744.jpg

The finish is kinda rough on the barrel as you might can tell by my so-so pix, but the stock is in great shape (I'm guessing NOT original), and the bore is as well.

Cleaned it a bit, still quite a bit of grease and gunk left on there at first.

ETA-sorry for the huge pics! Trying to edit, but Photobucket is slowing to a crawl for me...

41magsnub
April 18, 2008, 11:50 PM
That's a Boyd's aftermarket birch stock since CMP are short on original wood. I just finished finishing mine tonight. Put 4 coats of Fairtrimmers (http://www.fairtrimmers.com/index.html) Ox on it, then covered with paste wax and buffed. Looks pretty good, better than I thought it was going to. No character to the wood on mine, gonna see what they have at the gunshow this weekend.

How is the bore and crown on yours? I got mine last week and it is incredible. The barrel is contemporary with the receiver (1955) but looks brand new. Cycling the action a few times added the only wear marks anywhere on the gun. I'm not sure mine spent much time out of the arms room or depot though I guess it has been rearsenaled since it is a mix master (SA trigger and bolt).

Zeede
April 19, 2008, 03:16 AM
I too had plans of dishwashering my Garand's stock when I got it. It's quick, it's easy, and it gets all the cosmoline and gunk out of the stock in a hurry.

However, once I opened the box and held the gun I couldn't do it. I wanted to keep every ding and dent in the gun. I finally understood what it meant to have a gun with *character*. Right now, as I'm typing this, I have my stock in my oven at the lowest setting (170 degrees F. 130-150 would be better, but oh well) to bake all the cosmoline and accumulated gunk out of it gently. 15 minutes in, then wipe off all I can, then put it back. Do this for a few hours and you'll get all the gunk out w/o taking any character out of the gun.

Cameron

sublimaze41
April 19, 2008, 06:34 AM
Finally got mine the other day. A natural shooter for me. I haven't been this excited about something in my hands since I was a teenager hoping my parents wouldn't come home. At least my Garand won't leave me for the football captain:uhoh:

transformerguru
April 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
Great looking rifles guys!!! I think I'm gonna have to get another!

latisimusd
April 19, 2008, 05:30 PM
Received my 12-54 H&R Service Grade today my buddy measured the barrel & throat and it measure like very low round count TE=1 MW=1. Receiver & barrel numbers match. Gonna take it for an accuracy test tomrrow!
Here's some pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garands010.jpg
H&R on the bottom my 44 Springer on the top
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garands008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garands005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ARfun/garands010.jpg

I know they need some stock work:uhoh:
If the H&R shoots as good as the Springfield I will be very happy

Green Lantern
April 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
How is the bore and crown on yours?

I don't have any gauges, but they LOOK good. Was gonna shoot today but mother nature put the damper on that (literally).

Man - are there any tricks to working the trigger guard for disassembly and reassembly besides spending MUCH more time with my GripMaster? Opening it up was kinda tough, but closing it was darn near impossible! Hoping that this gets easier with experience.

Also, for curiosity's sake, any of you store anything in the buttstock? (FWIW, I just got an Otis all-caliber belt pouch cleaning kit, no more steel rods for me!)

dscottw88
April 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
Anyone have a link on where to check the date of manufacture? I Was just emailed by cmp with the serial number 307 xx xx.

futureranger
April 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
I use that aerosol spray dry lube on my garand it doesn’t catch dust like the wet lubes do, and it think it works just as well in my opinion, really comes in handy shooting prone in the woods with all of the dirt sent airborne from the muzzle blast. Only down side is it make everything turn white, so I have to wipe off all the excess out side of the receiver.

dmftoy1
April 19, 2008, 07:23 PM
Anyone have a link on where to check the date of manufacture? I Was just emailed by cmp with the serial number 307 xx xx.

Post it over on the forums at http://www.odcmp.com in the "Garand" forum and someone will give you the date. Just a gueesstimate, but if it's a SA I'd say you're looking at Mid-43 or earlier. (purely a SWAG)

dscottw88
April 19, 2008, 07:56 PM
Just a gueesstimate, but if it's a SA I'd say you're looking at Mid-43 or earlier.

I find that pretty interesting, Because when I placed the order I was under the impression that most of the Garands being sold are 50's era builds.

Whats even WIERDER is the fact that I just got the email today and they didn't even get the order in the mail until last saturday. It's only been a week!?

dmftoy1
April 19, 2008, 09:04 PM
Lucky SOB! :)

I just checked and mine is 3.3 million (Serial) and I have a mfg date of January 1945 . . . .so depending on whether yours is higher or lower I was off by a bit.

transformerguru
April 19, 2008, 09:14 PM
I didn't even get an email with the serial number I'd be getting. Thats strange. And for you serial# July '44 according to Bruce Canfield's book The Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

dscottw88
April 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
I found a guide that pretty much states that SN# 307XXXX was made in August of '44. here is the link: http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1serial.htm

Threeband
April 19, 2008, 09:32 PM
dscottw88:

3.07 million would be August of '44 according to the Canfield book. (Those numbers are for the END of the month, so it's August rather than July.)

Did you get the birch stock? I've decided I like mine o.k., but it needs a little work.

Be careful removing the trigger group from the new birch stocks. Several people have had bits of wood chip off. Put a rod (I usually use a screwdriver shaft, but a cartridge works fine) through the back of the guard, and pull straight back to unlock, then swing it open. Try to control it, so no wood chips.

Mine takes a good strong WACK! with the heel of my hand to lock up again.

I've got some really good links on my other computer with tips on improving the Boyds stocks. Maybe I'll edit them into this post, or add them seperately.

Now that we have these WONDERFUL rifles, it behooves all of us to learn all we can about them. I recommend spending a lot of time at the CMP forum, the Battlerifles forum, and even Jouster. There is an amazing amount of information on the internet.

------------------PS

Hey, dscottw88, I see you got the date yourself while I was writing this. So now, PICTURES! And all you Garand owners should be showing up on some of the Garand forums.

dscottw88
April 19, 2008, 11:26 PM
I would post pics but I havn't even seen or help it myself. I just know the serial number because of the email CMP sent to me. ONTOP of that, I have to wait till monday for it to arrive. Expect pics LATE monday night or midday tuesday!

rellascout
April 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
Here is a few pics of my collectors grade Late H&R

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/garand-2.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/garand-5.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/garand-3.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/back-porch.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/garand-4.gif

Threeband
April 20, 2008, 01:14 AM
OK, if you got a replacement Boyds/Dupage stock from the CMP, or if you got a commercial Boyd's, you might want to check out these links:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgtgfix.html

Good stuff here,too:

http://www.trfindley.com/pghgrm.html

This is the Mother Lode for Garand information:

http://www.garanddata.com/owbase/default.asp?p=FrontPage

MustangHowie
April 20, 2008, 10:05 AM
Last Sunday I put 10 clips through my Garand. Had a great time. I got home and started to clean it and noticed that the stock had cracked all the way through on the left side in front of the trigger. I wrote an email to CMP and they responded very quickly. The said they would send a FedEx label and to send back the stock and they would replace it.

I am disappointed that the stock cracked, but I am happy with CMPs service. I got the FedEx label yesterday and I will be sending it in soon.

They said it would take a week after they receive it to send a new one.

That kinda sux, because I just got in another case of ammo.

Wish me luck on the replacement stock.

Threeband
April 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Wow! Was that the replacement Birch stock?

MustangHowie
April 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
No, it was an original stock. Pictured on page one of this thread.

Green Lantern
April 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
WOO-HOO, "mini" range report! And another pic:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/KyleFayar/Garand.jpg

I didn't have a chance...ok, I didn't really take the TIME to go to a place and set up proper targets at a measured, longer range than what I had at my disposal. I made do with an old milk jug and flat piece of cardboard at a...let's just say "NOT long-range." Pretty accurate, and had some darn entertaining results (like hitting the cardboard sheet "just so" to make it go flying up off the hill)! :D

I found the "kicks like a mule" rep to be a smidge overblown, IMHO...

Anyhoo...right off the bat, I noticed that I had to "help" the bolt close on the first round of a clip. Maybe I was causing that problem: Being wary of "Garand Thumb," and not sure how much time I'd have to get clear after seating a clip, I'd use my off-hand to hold the oprod back while putting in a clip.

Now, I took Swampy's advice earlier to heart that the Garand DOES NEED GREASE. Er, problem is, I missed the part about parts of the trigger assembly needing it until AFTER I got my workout for the day by getting the trigger guard back in. I wish my guard had the 'loop' in the back - but as it is, a piece of steel cleaning rod helped me get the leverage I needed.

So anyhow, I'm hoping that lack of a proper lube was what led to the following situation on each clip:

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM .....??? *ch-clack* BOOM BOOM-PING!

IE: Once per clip (twice on the last one), the action would cycle just like normal EXCEPT the hammer wouldn't cock! :confused: I'd work the oprod and chamber a fresh round, and then things would get moving again.

ETA - any good tricks for separating the stock from the receiver? I'm afraid to apply a WHOLE lot of 'elbow grease' to get the job done, but I haven't found any other way yet...

ETA2 - D'OH! Uh, maybe it's because I didn't close the bolt...:embarassed:

Guy B. Meredith
April 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
Some notes:

1. The Garand is not your average .30'06--it is a real softy. I can easily do 80 rounds in a T shirt with no real discomfort. That is in stark contrast to the Mauser conversion that gave me my life long flinch.

2. The CMP has customer service that makes the touted Nordstrom customer service look absolutely shabby. I haven't found a better group with which to deal.

3. If you find something like the 7th round is having problems, load the clip with the top round on the left when looking down on the clip with the primer end towards you.

4. It is normal to have to give the bolt a bump forward on the first round.

Green Lantern
April 21, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hm, I'll have to try #3. And thanks for the heads up on the rest! :)

dscottw88
April 21, 2008, 09:44 PM
Where can I get a garand cleaning kit and some good grease? Do CMP garands come with a cleaning kit?

Green Lantern
April 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
Nope, just an enbloc clip, flag safety, and a pretty decent manual.

I'm really loving the OTIS cleaning kit I just got last week...

For grease, I have some Hoppes grease I got for my P3AT. I figure they DO make grease in small enough containers for the Otis belt pouch or the buttstock, even without having to buy a whole WWII replica cleaning kit.

But I think I'm going to stick with the Hoppes (that one tube I have is gonna last me a LOOONG time unless I really up the volume of my shooting), and just look for a small container I can keep some handy in.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!