Opinions on Smith and Wesson 64-6?

PDA

greyhound
August 10, 2003, 03:06 PM
I got mine last November after the sniper incident here in MD/VA/DC. Its a 4" 38 Spl. and I'm told its a police trade.

Funny thing is, on this board and others I've heard lots of discussions about various S&W models, but never the 64. I know its probably about the most plain jane, vanilla model you can own, but it was also easy as heck for a newbie shooter to learn on. There must be a million of 'em out there so I figured somebody might have an opinion.

I'll bet there's a lot of LEOs out there who used to carry them too.

I figure if I keep this thing spotless clean my kids will be passing it down to their kids!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Smith and Wesson 64-6?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
August 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
It's a great handgun.

Solid and dependable.

What more can you ask for?

Johnny Guest
August 10, 2003, 04:08 PM
It is simply the old Model 10 Military & Police revolver in stainless steel. Uses all the same holsters and aftermarket stocks as the M10. Medium size, medium weight, rugged - - - Just an honest old style handgun, in a new-style finish.

You probably don't see too many of 'em around because the SS version came out at a time when most LE agencies were approving, if not actually issuing, .357 revolvers. Then, not much later, came the advent of the somewhat more rugged (but still not HUGE) L-frame S&Ws. And shortly thereafter, auto pistols really came into vogue.

The blue M&P series, along with the Colt Official Police, were the standard for service revolvers for several decades. The SS types, models 64, 65, 66, and 67 barely had time to get their feet on the ground before "the new wave" crested.

Considered underpowered by many, the .38 Special cartridge has much going for it, including the very tameness. Target wadcutters in this 30.5 ounce (34 with heavy barrel) revolver shoot very softly, standard velocity 158s have modest recoil, and the +P loads are still quite controlable. Commercial reloads are quite reasonably priced, and factory loads are still less expensive than any of the magnum cartridges.

The fact that it is easy and gentle to shoot promotes an adequate level and frequency of practice. A shooter well familiar and practiced in the use of a good .38 revolver is probably a lot more capable of self defense than one with a loud-bellerin', bright flashin' magnum, who is really about half afraid of the sound and fury.

You write: "I figure if I keep this thing spotless clean my kids will be passing it down to their kids." Well, sure. And another nifty thing about the SS revos - - they're the same color all the way through. Even a LOT of holster work won't wear off the finish as on a blued piece. Clean barrel and chambers when fired and don't use any abrasives trying to clean the dark smudges off the front of the cylinder - - They don't hurt a thing.

With a proper belt and well designed holster, the M64 is not at all difficult to conceal. (Yes, sir, I note you're in Maryland, a locale not known to be concealed-carry friendly.:( )

Your M64 may be a "plain jane," but it is a high quality, honest revolver, and you need NOT apologize to even the most knowledgeable shoters for your choice.

Best,
Johnny

stellarpod
August 10, 2003, 04:17 PM
Shamelessly quoted from "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" - Second Edition, Jim Supica and Richard Nahas:

Caliber - .38 S&W Special, double action revolver built on the stainless steel K service frame with three screws. The stainless steel version of the Model 10,with a 2-inch standard barrel with round-butt or 4-inch tapered barrel with square butt. About 1974 the 4-inch version was available in heavy barrel only with a 3-inch version also available on a square-butt frame with a smooth backstrap. Six-shot fluted cylinder with a nominal length of 1.56", 1/8-inch serrated ramp front sight with square notch rear, checkered walnut service stocks with S&W medallions, .265-inch service hammer, .265-inch serrated or.312" smooth combat trigger. Heavy barrel frame and tapered barrel frame have slight differences at the yoke. Early heavy barrel variations that were chambered in .357 Magnum were to become the Model 65. Originally built fro the Oklahoma Highway Patrol with a 1.67" counter-bored cylinder chambered in .357 Magnum. Produced circa 1970-DATE.

NIB $325
Exc $250
VG $200
Good $160
Fair $125
Poor $100

Hope that helps.

stellarpod

Blueduck
August 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
Funny thing is, on this board and others I've heard lots of discussions about various S&W models, but never the 64.

Thats because there is nothing to complain about.

greyhound
August 10, 2003, 05:43 PM
Thanks, folks. It'll always be my favorite gun because it was my first gun!

Jason Demond
August 10, 2003, 07:30 PM
I like the first one I bought so much, I bought two more. My best one is an unissued Detroit police trade in.:)

FPrice
August 10, 2003, 07:41 PM
"Funny thing is, on this board and others I've heard lots of discussions about various S&W models, but never the 64."

There have been a few threads about the Model 64. I know because I have participated in most of them.

The Model 64 IS a good revolver as the other particpants here have indicated. You did good picking it up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Smith and Wesson 64-6?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!