Cleaning a magazine

PDA

geim druth
March 25, 2008, 02:43 PM
I just bought a new Remington magazine for my 7600. The insides are covered with a brown, oily substance that I assume is a preservative.

I've wiped off as much as I can while holding down the follower, but there's still quite a bit more. Can I disassemble the magazine to get out the rest?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning a magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4thPointOfContact
March 25, 2008, 06:05 PM
Any citrus based cleaner...
Kerosene...
GunScrubber...
Simple Green...

Almost anything will disolve the dirt and leave the magazine alone.

vzenmn
March 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
Windex, an old t-shirt, and a tooth brush is what I use.

BAT1
March 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
I use paint thinner on all my mags. put about three inches in a tall, seal-able container and shake. I don't like water based products for metal. Dries fast.

geim druth
March 26, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

An orange-oil based cleaner seems to have cleaned it up real well, at least I've loaded with snap caps a couple of times and there hasn't been any evidence of gunk.

jrfoxx
March 27, 2008, 03:53 AM
I usually just pour some fairly hot water into mine, shake well, dump, repeat as nessecary.Seems to get out anything from dirt, oil, powder, cosmoline, etc, and its cheap and easy.Only warning, dont be stupid like I have a couple times and use water thats TOO hot....those mag bodies can get scalding almost instantly, it hurts, and you feel stupid afterwards....:o

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning a magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!