ACOG - Yes or No?

PDA

Shrinkmd
March 25, 2008, 09:42 PM
I've been dreaming of it for so long, and now I'm wondering if the other options make more sense. For range use (we have a 300 yd line) and general plinking fun, is it worth the $? It seems the consensus is high quality, if a bit pricey.

If you enjoyed reading about "ACOG - Yes or No?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tully M. Pick
March 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'd keep an eye on the BST forum here and elsewhere. A buddy of mine just picked up a brand-new TA01NSN for $750, which I thought was a decent deal.

Dienekes
March 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
I think the short answer is yes.

If the military is buying and issuing them lavishly to its twenty-something trigger pullers at all levels, that says a lot. A really first-class optic has a lot to offer even to guys with young eyes. The further you get from that status the more you appreciate that. :what:

My M4gery has been wearing a TA45-2 (1.5 X 24 amber triangle Compact) for a little under two years now. It works just fine for everything from room distance out to 300 yards. I long ago forgot the cost but the grinning goes on. :D

I am in the process of putting a TA33-9 (3 X 30 amber chevron Compact) on an M1A. Haven't zeroed it yet but I expect it to work out just fine.

They're not cheap but neither are they overpriced for what they are. :)

taliv
March 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
you're likely to find a better deal on arfcom's EE

timmyb21
March 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Dude, if you want it, just do it. You can save for the next firearm later.

Eightball
March 25, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've been dreaming of it for so long For range use (we have a 300 yd line) and general plinking fun, and now I'm wondering if the other options make more sense.Reworded your post for you. You answered your own question. If you've got the cash, do it. You've got another few months to save up for the next firearm before election season. However, on my end, I'm having the same debate.....but I like my irons well enough ;)

H2O MAN
March 25, 2008, 11:00 PM
What rifle do you want to put it on?

Shrinkmd
March 26, 2008, 07:41 AM
20" A2, so the bullet drop would be perfectly tuned using 55gr, no?

steven04
March 26, 2008, 07:59 AM
I've got a TA01NSN on my 14.5" and a TA31RCOA4 on the 20"

Both rets are calibrated for milspec 62g ammo.

I love both of mine, use'em for service rifle matches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/nokiapics/19022008109.jpg

M110
March 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
For the price of the acog, you can get another rifle. Or 2 marlins.........heh.

taliv
March 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
acogs are service rifle legal in the UK???

that would rock

waterhouse
March 26, 2008, 09:37 AM
I didn't vote. I'd say buy the ACOG, but get it used from the arfcom EE. You'll save some cash, and the things are built tough. If you must have a new one send me a PM and I'll see what I can find you.

steven04
March 26, 2008, 09:38 AM
We have different classes for NRA service rifle matches over here using both US and UK military COF (some timings for rapids amended for bolt actions)

Classes include

Irons
Service Enfield (historic)
Service Optic
Practical Optic

I shoot in the service optic class, max magnification is 4.5x.

Mil Targets from 500-100 yards (or 25yards if we run the FIBUA match)

Despite restrictions, we're still shooting !!

Cheers
Steven

sinistr
March 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
you should get one,worth every penny.you could shoot
$800.00 worth of ammo and still not hit as good as if you bolted an acog on your rifle to begin with.

Dirtypacman
March 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
If I had the money for it I would buy the ACOG in a heartbeat.

Coronach
March 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
Despite restrictions, we're still shooting !!Hoorah!

Every time I see what has happened in England I shake my head, and then remember that our elected leaders [sic] are trying to do the same thing here.

Keep fighting!

Mike

Darthbauer
March 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
I dig mine and if I have the money, will get another one for my next AR build.

Zak Smith
March 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
TA11- go for it.

http://demigodllc.com/photo/PRM-2006.11/icon/D100_5378_img.jpg
article | Fighting Carbine Optics http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15)

gunsnmoses
March 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
I would check ar15.com equipment exchange

mine are "red donut of death" and "gold pyramid of power" reticles

possum
March 26, 2008, 04:57 PM
they are built tough.. i will atest to that, me and my weapon was involved in a m1151 rollover this deployment the weapon itself was destroyed, the peq 15 and sure fire flashlight were distroyed along with my verticle forgrip. the only thing that stayed mounted and un scathed on the outside at leats was the acog that i was issued. i would have loved to check the zero but that rilfe and the equipment left on it are coded out so we will never know but it definetly fair better than the rest of the equipment.

i am a huge eotech fan and i have one on my personal ar, but if yu got the money get the acog and yu will be very happy with it i am sure.

slzy
March 26, 2008, 05:07 PM
you should poll professionally. no bad answers!

Bazooka Joe71
March 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
ACOG!

I just got a TA31F myself...It has made my AR15 A LOT more fun...A LOT.

Like others have said, don't buy it from Opticsplanet. Get one on a forum...Get it used...I found mine lightly used with no dings or even any real scratches for $750 and it came with an ARMS #19 quick detach.

Shrinkmd
March 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
you should poll professionally. no bad answers!

Ha ha. I'm glad you liked the choices. Sometimes the polls are so serious. If you can't throw in a Mosin reference or two, what's the point? I still love my 91/30, but I think I need to get into the 20th century...

hardhit777
March 27, 2008, 12:19 AM
Go with an eotech and a stand alone swing away magnifier. the best of both worlds. No??
A guy i know that works at the local fun-store just bought a sig 556 and eotech with a swing away mag and it is very nice. If i had the money i would buy those instead.

HH

Bazooka Joe71
March 27, 2008, 12:22 AM
I still love my 91/30, but I think I need to get into the 20th century...

It's nice to have a bit of both.

Or a lot.:)

RockyMtnTactical
March 27, 2008, 12:58 AM
I love my ACOG.

Texas Bob
March 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
I have a TA01 fixed 4x that mounts to the carry handle I'm not using and I'll let anyone have for $650, shipping in the lowere 48 is included for people on THR.

woodybrighton
March 27, 2008, 07:11 AM
the british army is buying ACOGS
but will probably buy some silly cheaper model as usual:(

steven04
March 27, 2008, 09:19 AM
From the pics of SA80's I've seen with ACOG, it looks like the TA31DOC

GarandOwner
March 28, 2008, 05:36 AM
ACOG's are great and you cant go wrong with a Trijicon. Personally, for me it is isnt worth the money. Dont get me wrong, they are great scopes, but Im not shooting at people, and to me it seems more people get them for the "coolness" factor than practicality. Personally i would find it hard to part with that much money for a long eye relief scope. If It were me Id invest the money in another gun, or a Leupold Mark 4 scope for my M14 :D

Manchu5150
March 28, 2008, 09:28 AM
Go with an eotech and a stand alone swing away magnifier. the best of both worlds. No??
A guy i know that works at the local fun-store just bought a sig 556 and eotech with a swing away mag and it is very nice. If i had the money i would buy those instead.

HH

Although that setup may work for some people I don't see it being as solid or bullet-proof as an ACOG with, say, a TRD/DO in a wing-mount for a best-of-both-worlds rig.

I know, for me, it's worth the extra couple hundred dollars to not have to flip levers and swing magnifiers in transitioning from close quarters to med/long range. Besides, all of the other pluses of the ACOG being it's compact size, high quality glass, tritium/fiber-optic illuminated BDC reticle.

But I'm just another guy on the 'net.

Manchu5150
March 28, 2008, 07:52 PM
Also, like some others have already mentioned, if you keep an eye out on the Equipment Exchange over at arfcom you're bound to find someone running a sale.

In addition, although I've some cheaper from time-to-time during a special sale, Hoplite (502-955-5014) has about the lowest everyday prices on ACOGs I've seen.

FWIW

Sergeant Sabre
April 5, 2008, 12:07 PM
If you want an ACOG, SWFA.com has a like-new demo model on their sample list for $799. Has the BDC reticle for a .223 out to 600yds and comes with a mount for a flat-top AR.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=29&prod_type=-1&hide_sold=false

LegalAlien
April 5, 2008, 01:12 PM
Look at it this way:-

1. Get the ACOG at about $1,100 and have a optic that is good for CQ and out to 300m - not the best for real CQ - good eye relief - one optic- less weight . . . or
2. Get EOTEC or Aimpoint Red dot optics that are good for CQ at about $700 and then add a 3x flipout magnifier for another $500 that is good out to 300m. Total cost of this setup = > $1,200 - multiple pieces of equip - more weight. Slightly better for CQ, but less eye relief with magnifier added in.

Based on the above, I would go for the ACOG.

I own neither, have no experience with them, but purely based on research information and common logic.

Acheron
April 5, 2008, 01:33 PM
Real riflemen use irons. :neener:

mljdeckard
April 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
Real riflemen use irons, but take it from someone who qualified last month, I REALLY wish I had a 3x magnifier and a red dot for the long shots. Just that little bit of time it takes to fine tune the shot during the squeeze could be greatly reduced. If the target was shooting back at me, I would REALLY like to be the guy who can center the reticle first.

doc2rn
April 5, 2008, 03:35 PM
As a broke college student I stick to what I can afford to play with, so scope the 91/30 and spend the rest on ammo! Anycontributionsgreatlyappreciated, taxtitlesandshippingnotincluded. Fast voice off.

10-Ring
April 5, 2008, 03:40 PM
Do you really think anyone here will talk you out of cool stuff? :scrutiny: Buy it! ;)

Zak Smith
April 6, 2008, 11:01 PM
1x red dot optics and magnified optics are force multipliers for carbines and rifles.

bl4ckd0g
April 7, 2008, 01:51 AM
There's quite a bit of pretentiousness in kitting out an AR or another defensive carbine.

Personally, I would forego any recommendations and just try as many scopes as possible. You might be surprised that something that everyone else may recommend as a superlative "best" may be further down your list compared to something else. When I bought my last varmint rifle, I first had my heart set on a $900 Leupold high magnification scope. After looking through everything, I preferred the clarity of a 50mm Weaver Grand Slam.

You have the potential of spending up to $1200 on a quality optic that you might use in a competition (or at work).

In short, this isn't a fashion contest, get some experience with anything and everything, then make your decision.

If you enjoyed reading about "ACOG - Yes or No?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!